[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1277.jpg (22 KB, 291x450)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Why is hedonism so misunderstood? It’s not about pursuing excessive pleasure but about appreciating the the simple pleasures you do have.
>>
because capitalism. in epicureanism you don't really need anything besides the garden. obviously that doesn't work for gay faggot yuppie women capitalism
>>
>>23631584
hedonism means i get to fuck trannies and go on marvel movie marathons and nobody should judge me for it
>>
File: index (1).jpg (51 KB, 498x760)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>23631616
I rest my case
>>
>>23631584
Because its easy to conflate living a peaceful life of anonymity and living a life of the libertine who has no real values or principles for ethical life.
>>
>>23631661
I keep telling you it's consumer capitalism. Epicureanism is anti-materialism which is fucking incompatible apparently with the ultramaterialistic age we live in.
>>
Because of Christian brainwashing, it is a death cult that wants you to hate life and feel guilty for being born.
>>
>>23631715
Not even 10 posts in and the tranny has to kvetch about Christians because xir parents forced him to go to Church when he was young
>>
>>23631597
>>23631708
You can keep saying it, but nobody is going to take you seriously until you stop using capitalism as a buzzword
>>
>>23631749
>he
This is literal genocide. Trans persons are dying because you won't affirm pronouns. Xheir pronouns are xe/xir.
>>
File: images (36).jpg (10 KB, 177x284)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>23631765
What word would you use to describe literal capitalism lol
>>
>>23631749
not even 1 post and you are already whining about transexuals and the gays, rent free
>>
>>23631749
Unironically, Epicurus’ works have been burned by Christians and Jews.

All of Israel have a part in the World to Come. But the following have no part in the World to Come: One who says that the resurrection of the dead is not biblical, or that the Torah is not from Heaven, or the Epicurean.
—Jerusalem Talmud, Sanhedrin 10:1
>>
>>23631822
Dante's Inferno also puts Epicureans in hell, but curiously they are in hell because they didn't believe in an afterlife, not because of their hedonism, and their punishment in hell doesn't have anything to do with their hedonism but with their intellectualism.
>>
>>23631775
Point in case...
>>
>>23631708
“When Epicurus finds facts contrary to his position he bends the meaning of his position to seemingly fit the facts.”

-paraphrase of Galen on Epicurus
>>
>>23631584
No it's not
>>
>>23631775
Your comments would sound way more serious if you just said "consumerism" alone.
>>
>>23631584
>hedonism not about pursuing excessive pleasure
It is in common parlance. And it originated from the Cyrenaic school
>but about appreciating the the simple pleasures you do have.
Thats Epicureanism.

Read more ya retard before ya come here asking "uhhhh why dont people understand???? Im OP and NOT a complete retard I swear!!!" baka desu
>>
>>23631715
Silly. One of the most popular Evangelical books is about Christian Hedonism.
>>
>>23632707
Or, let me put this another way: Since when was Scrooge the picture of "Christianity"? He's precisely the complete opposite. It's everyone else who wanted him to enjoy Christmas and family and the joys of simply living.
>>
>>23631584
Just become Pisslamist, it's a hedonist religion about bigamy and pedophilia, and their idea of "heaven" is a celestial brothel.
>>
>>23631782
not even 1 post, and you are already whining about anons whinning. rent free.
>>
>>23632401
not that anon but it seems like you are simply upset at someone simply using the word capitalism in any kind of critiquing sense.

fag
>>
>>23633447
nta, but when someone complains its capitalism, on average they are usually an idiot. its like when someone complains..its da joos or its the evil white man. boogeymans.
>>
>>23633447
Capitalism gives you the freedom of being or not a consumerist. Meanwhile, other economics systems force you to be a slave of the state.

There are people that live in capitalism without being a consumerist, thus capitalism doesn't force you to be a consumerist.

Capitalism is the only system where you can consume what you want in the quantity you want, and not what the state forces you. But it's your choice to consoom or not.
>>
>>23633451
sure, but it's your job to read the reply in its context and understand that isn't what this was
>>
>>23631597
Hey, it's the epicureanist. How's the convincing of the father going?
>>
>>23633488
Unless you are constantly mindraped with constant propaganda, advertising and marketing you ain't. You think the obesity in America is natural?
>>
>>23633490
And it's his job to be accurate and not whine
>>
>>23631597
Unfortunately the garden is an extravagant luxury in today's world.
>>
>>23633534
>he doesn't into autism so advertising/marketing/propaganda falls flat on its face
sorry you don't have superpowers, anon, must suck
>>
File: images.jpg (46 KB, 446x687)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Modern day cyrenaics
>>
>>23632312
>precious bodily humor fluids go pee pee poo t. galen
>>
>>23633538
he didn't. that's my point.
>why is hedonism misunderstood so widely
>well we all exist in a system that promotes this other thing, that when it meets this idea, leads to a clear misunderstanding
>stop whining
>>
>>23631584
what started off as intellectual pleasure being the highest good was subverted by bonvivant coomers who wanted to larp as austere philosophers instead of facing the music and acknowledging that they were in fact 60iq monkeys.
>>
>>23633881
Ultimately, indulging vice is not pleasurable and may even bring you to an early death. They didn't get the memo.
True lovers of life look like a Hallmark movie in comparison.
>>
>>23631584
The english word hedonism was not invented until the 1800s

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.