[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1638718359741.png (606 KB, 1000x803)
606 KB
606 KB PNG
Do you still visit bookstores? I haven't been in one in 2 years. It's all Amazon and Public libraries for me
>>
>>23810586
My city has atleast 3 good bookstores, I visit some every now and then.
>>
>>23810586
I do but I buy more used than new instore because MSRP is too high
>>
>>23810586
>L'academie coming soon
oh, the memories
>>
>>23810586
No bookstore looks like this
>>
No
I usually get everything off Amazon or eBay
Or the NYRB semi annual sales
>>
File: 1726161052302190.png (338 KB, 585x509)
338 KB
338 KB PNG
>>23810586
I used to love my local book stores until they started flying the pride flag and shilling libcukery.
Now I just get everything from inter-library loan. Jews saturate the publishing industry now so it's hard to find books that aren't midwit circle jerks and cis-trans-stronkFemal vomit.
>>
>>23810586
I'm too poor to buy books
The vast majority of the books I've read were either e-books or audiobooks
>>
>>23810586
It's all libgen for me.
>>
>>23810586
>It's all Amazon and Public libraries for me
Same desu.
>>
>>23810586
I went to a Barnes & Noble for the first time in years and the prices were fucking crazy compared to Amazon. I saw some books costing nearly 2x more. It's no surprise so many book stores are going out of business, especially with more people choosing digital, and reading less overall.
>>
>>23810586
Yeah, secondhand charity bookstores are a fucking goldmine for art history books
>>
>>23810586
I like to go to Barnes and noble once every other month. Take a day off in the middle of the week where it's only me and some lonely house wife who's husband is at work and the kids are in school. I find a book and sometimes an easy fuck.
>>
>>23810586
I adore going to bookstores. Whenever I walk by one I feel a compulsive urge to step inside just to loiter around and peruse the books even if I don't plan on buying one. And usually when I start buying I can't stop. It's become a bit of a problem actually. I'm book collecting my family out of house and home.
>>
>>23810586
Sometimes yea, but I never bought a single book from there. I'd rather buy my books online, its way more cheaper and I dont have to spent extra goybucks for the store wagecucks and building rent. If I go to bookstore I just simply look around and that's it.
>>
I'm somewhat afraid of public libraries because I don't wanna get mugged or stabbed by a crackhead.
>>
only fifty cent and under thrift stores
>>
>>23810586
amazon is fine if you don't mind your package arriving like shit and are willing to ask for replacements 3 times. still, not the worst option considering all books in non-used bookstores are crazy overpriced
>>
File: 1000019937.jpg (127 KB, 1440x1080)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>23810586
>Do you still visit bookstores?
whenever mommy offers to take me, nyes. i'd go on a more regular basis if i didn't loathe driving.
>>
>>23812609
>amazon is fine if you don't mind your package arriving like shit and are willing to ask for replacements 3 times.
I find it's better if you order multiple books at once rather than one. Almost every time I order a single book it comes in a mailer and is kind of worn. Ordering multiples or with other items they'll ship it in a box with at least some padding.
>>
>>23810586
I have an addiction, so I go to used bookstores all the time. I've gone so much, the owners recognize me and have a weirded out looks when I come by. They're practically telling me to slow down my reading and buying habits
>>
>>23810586
z-lib is my bookstore - because all other bookstores in my country are either run by kikes or woke, totally obedient muzzle-wearing and vaxxed leftards. May they go bankrupt, i will never pay them a single dime again.
>>
>>23811314
I hate to be nostalgic for such a fucked up happening, yet, I am.
>>
File: 1726256517297178.jpg (149 KB, 900x900)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>23813292
that's sad, communists probably invented wokies and faggots to shit up the only kind of establishment that repulsed funky negroes and stinking gypsies without actually offending them
>>
>>23810586
Only public librar for me, i am poor
>>
>>23813340
aren't there like homeless people jerking off, sleeping, or defecating behind the open stacks?
>>
>>23812234
The Oxfam bookshops are always the best.
>>
>>23810586
I go to Barnes and Noble once a week but never buy anything. It's all the same crap:
>Boomercon Americans save the universe
>Feminists kill the Patriarchy with magic
>Teenagers are gay
>Shit I've already read getting republished
>Some fairytale/old Disney movie mutilated beyond recognition.
>>
>>23813292
the lamest shit is that the people who own the main bookstore in my city also own a restaurant and during the coof they made you wear a mask in the bookstore but in the restaurant they of course let people take their masks off, like wow covid is deadly in here but not a problem over there, fuck those assholes i will not be supporting "independent" bookstores
>>
>>23813366
NTA but not everybody is a burger like you.
>>
File: 1722473350929869.jpg (150 KB, 1163x775)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>23813534
everybody is a burger anon
just not the same kind
>>
>>23811821
This quote is misattributed
>>
File: 1534745422.jpg (151 KB, 551x720)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>23813613
all quotes are misattributed unless accompanied by their birth chart
>>
>>23810586
Yeah, I visit Anna's quite often.
>>
File: glass and phone.jpg (204 KB, 1150x1635)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
Yes I'm a regular, they know me by name. Not a big chain, small-ish place with people that care. Two times out of three they already have whatever I want at the store, otherwise they can order it. They also have the occasional reading event and I like their selection of calendars.

If you aren't buying books in stores you are incredibly soulless.
>>
>>23811314
I can't wait for his next work.
>>
>>23812486
Just don't go to the libraries in Baltimore, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>23813534
>this is an america-exclusive problem
ok
>>
>>23812232
To me the big problem with Barnes & Noble is the selection.
>>
>>23810586
I check occasionally for old Loebs and stuff like that but otherwise not really. Amazon and Abebooks are just way better 99% of the time and I can go to the library too.
>>
File: cat in the bag.jpg (354 KB, 1662x1986)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
>>23810586
I visit used bookstores every now and then. I always buy something, partially because I'm paranoid I'll be accused of shoplifting if I leave a store without making a purchase, but mostly because I always find something I want to read. I love used bookstores, especially independent ones. They're always very cozy, but also probably fire hazards. Very quiet and peaceful, too. I can't remember ever seeing another young man in a used bookstore, though. Maybe in Seattle.
>>
For me it's thrift stores and Anna's Archive
>>
Yeah. I love book stores. Unfortunately, there are all too few good ones. I still have fun browsing at different Barnes & Nobles though.
>>
1. goodwill
2. used book stores
3. Barnes & Noble
I want to rank local book stores 3rd but I’ve never even seen a local book store that wasn’t some shitty leftist pozz shop or a YA fantasy store more than a proper book store.
>>
There's one bookstore in my entire city, and it's a chain store, and we have a population of roughly ~3 million in the general area. There used to be some used bookstores but I guess rent got too high to make it feasible to operate.
>>
>uppity bookstore only sells new, overpriced
>small used bookstore never has what I want to read
those are the only options within 20 miles, so most of my books come from thriftbooks. maybe I should just take the e-reader + libgen pill, but I can't convince myself.
>>
>>23816035
Seriously considering buying a Kobo, installing KOReader on it and syncing it to my desktop.
>>
On a weekly basis. My state has a nice amount of used and independent bookstores, and I travel frequently for work, so I kill time checking them out. Most are like what many anons have posted here, but there are a few gems that are so good that I will bid on trips to those towns just to visit them. Besides that, I only buy books from two places:
>my local thrift shop because it’s 50¢ - 75¢ a book, and they are always stocked with high-quality material.
>used bookstore in a neighboring town with a good, inexpensive inventory made even more affordable by a generous trade-in credit program
>>
a couple bookstores have sections of old books that either havent been digitized or are behind a subscription paywall, ive cleaned out all the interesting stuff so ill have to wait a year or so for them to build up anything more. i recently found a book from the 20s with an amalgamation of stories the author heard growing up (40+ years prior) from old black women in the south who claimed to have met abraham lincoln. its written in ebonics and is mostly about how much he liked their food.
>>
File: images(30).jpg (41 KB, 452x678)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I can buy 4-5 books with 10 euros on bookstores compared to Amazon where i can only buy 1 book with the same money.
only problem with bookstores is that they don't sell books that are old and not popular among gen z or millennials. but above all the issues ,the biggest problem that I have is that THEY ARE FUCKING REPLACING ACTUAL LITERATURE WITH JAPANESE MANGAS. GOD I HATE WEEBS.
>>
>>23815930
For me, it's the hypocrisy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.