[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

You have 30 seconds to justify not having a typewriter (you can't).
>>
>>23812522
Pencil has 196 results, btw.

I respect pencil users, but some of us can't afford servants.
>>
>>23812522
What program are you using for the OED? I have been using sdcv but its search is fairly limited and not the greatest formatting.
>>
>>23812537
It requires Win 3.1. I find it very soulful.
https://archive.org/details/oxford-english-dictionary-second-edition

There's also this one, it works on newer os's, well, I have it running on a win 2k vm, can't vouch for its non-virus-ness:
https://archive.org/details/oed-v4
The first comment is correct, you will likely have to snag the needed file. But it's out there at least.
>>
The v4 one seems to have moar. I think the blurb said there are expansion packs and whatnot.
>>
>>23812522
I use pen and paper
>>
>>23812602
Unfortunately, ai and ocr aren't very good at reading handwriting. You'll still have to type it.

With a typewriter you get all of the advantages of pen and paper, with added benefits. All win, no lose.
>>
>>23812615
You scan and OCR what you type on your typewriter? lol.
>>
>>23812657
How would you do it, type it on a COMPUTER, the same way ai does?
>>
If you own a typewriter, and you're not a boomer using one for reasons of familiarity or nostalgia, you are absolutely retarded, and likely a huge pretentious attention -seeking faggot
>>
>>23812726
I see no reason to accept your assertion.
>>
>>23812522
I'm old enough that I'd spent some years in school using a typewriter for assignments before getting my first Macintosh. Typewriters would compel you to think very carefully about what you're typing so that you didn't have to use their crappy erase tech.
>>
>>23812746
You don't have that problem anymore. You can edit in your word processor, after you ocr it.

It's so simple. I think people just remember the old janky days when ocr sucked, scanning was slow, and almost nobody had an mdf
>>
>>23812722
I do 90% of the work longhand and typing things out is the first step of my editing process, I catch a good number of errors and issues as I type. The act of typing is also mostly passive and really helps to highlight how things flow and the rhythms of the language and this is where I really start to understand these aspects of the piece. Typing it all into the computer is probably the closest a writer can get to reading their own work as the reader will, I find it to be a very valuable process.
>>
>>23812758
s/mdf/adf
>>
>>23812759
Just use tts to catch those errors.
>>
If you want no distractions, I'd get a used Thinkpad or something, install Linux and use it without internet.

Mechanical typewrites really are a pain to use compared to modern plastic keyboards.
>>
>>23812776
TTS mangles rhythm and flow, and obscures sentence structure/punctuation in all but simple sentences. I can't decide if you are trolling, going through a writing phase that is more about affecting an image than writing, or one of idiots obsessed with life hacks.
>>
>>23812825
>TTS mangles rhythm and flow
less than typing it out

>>23812825
>obscures sentence structure/punctuation
it doesn't. You think it does because it annoys you.
>>
>>23812783
Well no, that's retarded.

>use something that has a "distract me" button

Use a typewriter. Typewriters are not technology. Resist the modern retarded whore.
>>
>>23812998
TTS lacks the intonation and inflection required to convey grammatical constructs and is incapable of picking up on the cues which signify the tempo and rhythm as well as mood and tone let alone the very complicated ways they interact. Beyond that written language is capable of things which can not be conveyed in speech, we can't hear quote marks. TTS is oblivious to the nuances of language both written and spoken. It is much better than it used to be but still relies on simplistic ideas of intonation and inflection which are almost completely disconnected from the text it is reading. You have a poor understanding of language.
>>23813000
You are advocating the use of more technology; scanner, OCR, AI, TTS and who knows what else.
>>
>>23812522
I have a good keyboard and a desktop pc
>>
>>23813094
>AI
no.

>>23813094
>TTS
By all means have a friend read it to you, but my experience in this area is that people have replaced friendship with tv / youtubers they stare at. tts should be used anyway, because it produces a professional "military" output that rarely skips a beat (watch out if tts that "listens" to escape codes, with Microsoft Mary (VERY good for proofing) and all the related voices, forget the version, you want to eliminate foreslashes iirc). Everyone should use this, unless they can afford an employee who is autistic and will read all the sounds exactly.

fwiw, ai tts is rapidly improving, but I wouldn't use that, not primarily. tts that is basically robotic provides an audio interface for correction.

>>23813094
>use of more technology
I really don't want to explain my philosophy, but it's readily apparent that the typewriter isn't technology.

>>23813094
>TTS is oblivious
Which is good, and meanwhile you are not. I have extensive use of TTS, you may think you can't overcome the annoyance, which is what it is, you can, and should.

>>23813094
>You have a poor understanding of language.
:)

>>23813114
Tragic, if only you were poor, you'd be a better writer. or just buy a typewriter.
>>
Why would I use a typewriter when I have a computer and can turn all the notifications off
>>
>>23813145
>Tragic...
Nah I'm fine the way I am and how much I'm progressing. I don't see how something that serves less function and aesthetics than things I already own can help me
>>
>>23813306
>I'm
Not an interest I share.

>>23813275
I'm not sure to what extent I want to explain your condition. For one thing, to whatever degree someone is sick, they are sick in other ways, a partial benefit may be a harm to humanity - just look at that sicko from yesterday.
>>
File: 1704318192674357.jpg (700 KB, 1920x1080)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
I have a typewriter at my other house but my keyboard is cuter so I just use that.
>>
>>23812522
Because they make an annoyong sound and noise pollution is annoying to other people
>>
>>23813850
>noise pollution
How autistic are you?
>>
>>23814547
Try living near a kennel and tell me ''noise pollution'' is not a thing
>>
>>23814652
So a typewriter's noise is similar to a ton of dogs howling and barking? Do you honestly believe that? Why not suggest I try living next to an airport or something else?
>>
>>23813850
This is beneficial - it claims space.
>>
I think it would be fun to have a discord server where everyone was writing on their typewriters at once. clack clack clack clackity clack

A choir of typewriters
>>
>>23812522
What typeface is that? It's beautiful 90's aesthetic, it looks like hacker.
>Zoomer 2002
>>
>>23818151
Plantin

There's no antialiasing or font smoothing in Windows 3.11 afaik
>>
>>23818295
and Porsen for Greek.
>>
>>23818295
and Hadassah for Hebrew
>>
>>23818151
PI6OUP.TTF seems to be a webdings font for OUP.
>>
>>23812602
No, you don't.
>>
>>23812770
how was working on paper terminals, you boomer fuck? You know sed but you're hyping typewriters? You're a fuckin' Real Article, man.
>>
>>23819592
style is for retards
>>
>>23818127
So larping as 1960s secretaries? Are we going to gossip about how hot our boss is too?
>>
>>23819978
You know who else used a typewriter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8UZA5L2yQ
>>
>>23821582
btw that's an Underwood No 3, 11". They had different sizes of the No 3.

The most common is the Underwood No 5.
>>
Disappointed I don't own an Underwood No 3, 11", in QWERTZ.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.