[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1720870269030441.jpg (33 KB, 507x723)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Baudelaire:
>I found in those of his works which are translated, particularly in Tannhäuser, Lohengrin and the Flying Dutchman, an excellent method of construction, a spirit of order and division which recalls the architecture of ancient tragedies.

Whitman:
>I am again consumed with regret for knowing I have never had a chance to hear the wonderful operas. I say 'wonderful' because I feel that they are constructed on my lines—attach themselves to the same theories of art that have been responsible for Leaves of Grass.

Villiers de l'Isle-Adam:
>He is the very man of whom we have dreamed; he is a genius such as appears upon the earth once every thousand years.

Nietzsche:
>Through Wagner modernity speaks her most intimate language: it conceals neither its good nor its evil: it has thrown off all shame. And, conversely, one has almost calculated the whole of the value of modernity once one is clear concerning what is good and evil in Wagner.

Mallarme:
>Oh strange defiance hurled at poets by him who has usurped their duty with the most open and splendid audacity: Richard Wagner!

Strindberg:
>In reading Wagner's Rheingold, I discover a great poet, and understand now why I have not comprehended the greatness of this musician, whose music is the only proper accompaniment to his words.

Weininger:
>[Wagner is] the greatest man since Christ’s time

D'Annunzio:
>In articulating our need for metaphysics, [Wagner] has revealed to us a hidden part of our interior life.

Yeats:
>Wagner's dramas are becoming to Germany what the Greek Tragedies were to Greece.

Strauss:
>Tristan does not, as you believe, represent the "dazzling resurrection" of romanticism, but the end of all romanticism, as it brings into focus the longing of the entire 19th century, longing which is finally released in the Tag- und Nachtsgeprach and in Isolde's Liebestod. . . Tristan is the ultimate conclusion of Schiller and Goethe and the highest fulfilment of a development of the theatre stretching over 2,000 years.

Hauptmann
>[The Ring is] perhaps the most mystifying work of art of the last few thousand years

Joyce:
>There are indeed hardly more than a dozen original themes in world LITERATURE ... Tristan und Isolde is an example of an original theme.

Auden:
>[Wagner is] perhaps the greatest genius that ever lived

Lévi-Strauss:
>[Wagner is] the undeniable father of the structural analysis of myth

Junger:
>Thoughts about the mighty mind of the dramatist who breathes artificial breath into past ages and dead cultures so that they move like corpses we can quote. A sorcerer of the highest order who conjures with real blood at the gates of the underworld.

Scruton:
>Modern high culture is as much a set of footnotes to Wagner as Western philosophy is, in Whitehead’s judgement, footnotes to Plato.
>>
I don’t care about what any of those people think
>>
i dont know german
>>
>>23812808
Nobody cares what you think.
>>
File: Franz Stassen Parsifal.jpg (723 KB, 1378x1920)
723 KB
723 KB JPG
>>23812796
I have anon, and I have fallen in love with him.
>>
>>23812796
>read wagner
watching the 3.5 hour performance/rendition of Parsival on mushrooms really made me remember I liked reading.
>>
>>23812796
>>23813075
Okay, what books?
>>
>>23813313
The Music of the Future, German Art and Germany Policy, Beethoven, The Destiny of Opera, Actors and Singers, Art and Revolution, The Artwork of the Future, Opera and Drama, A Communication to My Friends. In that order.
>>
>>23813320
I hate music.
What would I gain from those books?
>>
>>23813331
1. The most important late 19th century aesthetics.

2. An appreciation of music.
>>
>>23812808
I do, because most of them (most, not all!) are great writers; much better than Wagoner that’s for sure
>>
Zinedine Zidane:
>"My toughest opponent? Wagner of Germany. He is the complete artist."

Luis Figo:
>"I’m star-struck when I see Richard Wagner because you never see him. On the stage you can’t catch him. Off the stage he disappears."

Edgar Davids:
>"I’m not the best, Richard Wagner is."

Xavi:
>"In the last 15 to 20 years the best opera composer that I have seen – the most complete – is Wagner. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Wagner is a spectacular artist who has everything. He can write the libretto, he can score, he is harmonically strong. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more."

Patrick Vieira:
>"The composer in opera I admire most? Easy – Wagner."

Pep Guardiola:
>"Out of everyone in German opera, I would pick out Wagner, he is the best composer of his generation. I would had loved to play alongside him."

Lionel Messi:
>"At La Masia his name was mentioned a lot. He’s a teacher."

Cristiano Ronaldo:
>"When we were in training, I used to do a lot of tricks which hardly any composers at the academy could do. Once I was showing my skills to Wagner. After I finished, Wagner took the score and pointed to a tree which was about 50m from where we were standing. He said, I’m going to compose a leitmotif about that tree. He asked me to do the same; I composed about 10 times, but still couldn’t couldn't get it, with that accuracy. He smiled and left."
>>
>>23812796
Ponyo
>>
>>23813396
kek based
>>
>>23812796
Wait, you're actually supposed to read Wagner? I know there is an argument to be made as to why reading playwrights like Shakespeare or Goethe can be very beneficial prior to watching their plays, but Wagner didn't write plays, he wrote opera. What's the point of reading something that was truly only ever intended to be conveyed through music?
>>
>>23813917
Wagner would give readings of his own libretti, and he justifies reading them in this article:

https://warosu.org/lit/thread/21049829
>>
>>23812808
this, a real wagnerite would feel offended to have these third raters as support.
Certified bruh moment
>>
>>23813396
I don't get it.
>>
>>23814867
The implication is that the store used to be called Chuck's Fuck and Suck
>>
>>23813079
>wagner with hallucinogenics
A dangerous combination.

https://desuarchive.org/mu/thread/120027491/
>>
I started reading the Nibelungenlied and it's funny how often it reminds me of Wagner's operas, from general themes down to the words that Wagner uses. Not too surprising really, considering that his operas often build upon medieval legends, still a valuable background for understanding his work.
>>
>>23816907
Apparently the archaic words Wagner takes from the Nibelungenlied make it hard for Germans to understand it. Can any Germ confirm this?
>>
>>23817638
Occasionally yes. But in most of the free texts available online there are already footnotes with explanation
>>
>>23817638
nta but I also want to ask Germans this: how are Wagner's librettos (his "poetry") compared to other German poetry?
>>
>>23812796
Does anybody have a chart for Wagner?
>>
>>23812796
Are you Wagnerfag? What happened to Wagnerfag
>>
>>23818154
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>23812796
Anybody know anything interesting to read on Tristan und Isolde? I've read parts of death devoted heart and liked it
>>
File: 1724025125310402.jpg (67 KB, 776x1050)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>23818402
>With the sketch of ‘Tristan und Isolde’ I felt that I was really not quitting the mythic circle opened-out to me by my Nibelungen labours (dem Kreise der durch meine Nibelungenarbeit mir erwecken dichterischen und mythischen Anschauungen). For the grand concordance of all sterling Myths, as thrust upon me by my studies, had sharpened my eyesight for the wondrous variations standing out amid this harmony. Such a one confronted me with fascinating clearness in the relation of Tristan to Isolde, as compared with that of Siegfried to Bruennhilde. Just as in languages the transmutation of a single sound forms two apparently quite diverse words from one and the same original, so here, by a similar transmutation or shifting of the Time-motive, two seemingly unlike relations had sprung from the one original mythic factor. Their intrinsic parity consists in this: both Tristan and Siegfried, in bondage to an illusion which makes this deed of theirs unfree, woo for another their own eternally-predestined bride, and in the false relation hence arising find their doom. Whereas the poet of ‘Siegfried,’ however, before all else abiding by the grand coherence of the whole Nibelungen-myth, could only take in eye the hero’s downfall through the vengeance of the wife who at like time offers up herself and him: the poet of ‘Tristan’ finds his staple matter in setting forth the love-pangs to which the pair of lovers, awakened to their true relation, have fallen victims till their death. Merely the thing is here more fully, clearly treated, which even there was spoken out beyond mistake: death through stress of love (Liebesnoth) – an idea which finds expression in Bruennhilde, for her part conscious of the true relation. What in the one work could only come to rapid utterance at the climax, in the other becomes an entire Content, of infinite variety; and this it was, that attracted me to treat the stuff at just that time, namely as a supplementary Act of the great Nibelungen-myth, a mythos compassing the whole relations of a world.
>>
>>23812796
What is the point of reading opera librettoes?
>>
>>23812796
No
>>
>>23812796
>Through Wagner modernity speaks
Hard fucking pass in that case.
>>
>>23812796
I wanted to but I can't find his works in my country in my language or in English.
>>
>>23813320
Do you have links to these?
>>
>>23818486
>opera
>librettos
You know nothing of Wagner.
>>
>>23819249
https://imslp.org/wiki/Richard_Wagner%27s_Prose_Works_(Wagner%2C_Richard)
>>
File: 1726395278074056.gif (592 KB, 220x391)
592 KB
592 KB GIF
I cant into Wagner sorry
T. Bach (J.S.+ some), Schutz, Bruckner enjoyer
>>
>>23820554
How do you enjoy Bruckner and not Wagner?
>>
>>23820587
I dont know really. Maybe its because he strips all the excesses.
>>
>>23820723
>Maybe its because he strips all the excesses.
But that's not even an accurate description. You just need to listen to more Wagner.
>>
>>23820754
W...what if he listens to more Wagner but still finds him more excessive than Bruckner?
>>
>>23820776
Death is the only option.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.