[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0375.jpg (83 KB, 850x400)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
If there are an infinite number of whole numbers, and an infinite number of fractions in between any two whole numbers, and an infinite number of fractions in between any two fractions, does that mean that there are infinite infinities? And an infinite number of those infinities? And an infinite number of those infinities? And an infinite number of those infinities? And an infinite number of those infinities? And…(infinitely times. And that infinitely times. And that infinitely times. And that infinitely times. And that infinitely times. And…)…continues forever. And that continues forever. And that continues forever. And…(…)…
>>
yes? is it more intuitive that there be a finite number of infinities?
>>
>>23813235
You can't treat infinite quantities as you would finite quantities. That means many (most) of your instincts and assumptions simply don't apply. You have to tread very carefully and define exactly what you mean by every statement at every moment. The statement "an infinite number of infinities" doesn't really mean anything unless and until you say exactly what you think it means. "Infinity" isn't a thing you can have a certain number of.
>>
File: 1724399787896798.jpg (67 KB, 490x470)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>23813388
Should I think of infinity as a value, or can it have other questions within it as well?
>>
>>23813451
…..what?
>>
File: surreality.png (144 KB, 800x1010)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
here you go retard
>>
>>23813388
This. In many ways, it seems like the very way in which we often think of the very concept of “infinity” seems like an abstraction. The closest simplest definition of which, or the closest approximation to which, could be “never-ending.” But in spacetime-bound ordinary phenomenological consciousness, almost every ordinary thing (or process, event) we perceive has comprehensible limits, or a beginning and ending, both spatially and temporally. The plot of grass starts here and ends there. It rains for a few hours. Etc.

We can’t humanly wrap our mind around the real concept of infinity, if it even exists as a real thing out there in the universe, and isn’t just a concept or abstraction of ours. ∞ is not an ordinary number or quantity, as we normally conceive of number or quantity.

However, I may just be a pseud riffing on things beyond my comprehension. One interesting, commonly bandied-around factoid by some of those interested in math, the philosophy of math, set theory and the concept of infinity, is that the mathematician and set theorist Georg Cantor determined there are infinities of different sizes. Mathematicians now view this as a revolutionary discovery and the academy largely agrees with Cantor. It seems you’re starting to think on similar lines as him. Here’s a brief and beginner’s-level overview if you want to look at it:

https://www.bbvaopenmind.com/en/science/mathematics/georg-cantor-the-man-who-discovered-different-infinities/
>>
>>23813235
The word infinite is tossed around so much it becomes meaningless.
>>
offtopic. literally has nothing to do with /lit/
>>
>>23816124
Math
>>
There are no actual infinites, only potential. Problem solved.
>>
All these nmbers and you cant make a stream
>>
>>23813235
Math major here. Although there are an infinite number of fractions between whole numbers, there are as many whole number as there are fractions.
Regardless, there are also an infinite number of infinities. However, there is only one infinite number of infinities, and not an infinite number of number of infinities.
>>
>>23816563
Our entire system of quantification is based on a paradox.
>>
Whats your endgame
Mine came a Zero
Sent here and there
No peace either
Where there is no beginning or no end
Endless words
Stream within my head
>>
>>23813451
Infinity is a concept, most certainly not a value.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.