[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2019_16.jpg (1.01 MB, 2560x2013)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
What modern fantasy novels would Tolkien have liked?
>>
>>23814207
The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect A Novel by Roger Williams
>>
did he ever like anything other than old myths?
>>
ASOIAF
>>
>>23814291
he shat on CS Lewis
>>
None. Modern writers are atheist hacks who don't understand the appeal of an ancient world. They just recreate modern day world barely disguised.
>>
>>23814207
earthsea
>>
>>23814367
it has land, it has water, it has everything
>>
>>23814207
I find it interesting there are very few experts in their field who translated it into writing like Tolkien did. Steven Erikson brings an interesting perspective as archaeologist and anthropologist to Malazan series, for example.
>>
>>23814291
He spoke fondly of George McDonald, and liked the first book of CS Lewis' Space Trilogy.
>>
>>23814207
I'm so sick of this guy getting worshipped.
>>
>>23814446
u mad orc boi?
>>
>>23814207
Liked? Probably nothing. Not hated? Probably The Belgariad.
>>
he hated dune
>>
>>23814396
it's more a SF thing. or used to be back in the day. fantasy writers seem to mainly be failed literature or english majors.
>>
>>23814207
Idk about him but I'm sure Lewis would've liked Susanna Clarke's Piranesi
>>
>>23814448
>There is a lack of diversity in Lord of the Rings
>>
John Crowley
Greer Gilman
Gene Wolfe
Maybe.
>>
Maybe Robert Holdstock? It’s hard to say, man was crochety
>>
>>23814824
Strange and Norrel is better though.
>>
File: cavern of black ice.jpg (66 KB, 392x630)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>
>>23814207
He would be extremely disappointed with the publications in our era.
>>23814445
The first one is defiantly the best--the last one is pretty heady.
>>
File: 1720155306673351.jpg (63 KB, 540x587)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>23814448
>>
bump
>>
Brandon Sanderson
>>
Sander Branderson
>>
Stormlight Archive by Sando. Because is le evil against le good
>>
How would he react to ASOIAF?

>Ten thousand of your children perished in my palm, Your Grace. Whilst you slept, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all pale sticky princes.
>The three men were erect. The sight of their arousal was arousing, though Daenerys Targaryen found it comical as well.
>Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.
>Even his manhood was ugly, thick and veined, with a bulbous purple head.
>And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast.
>>
>>23818666
Checked
He'd go back in time and burn his writing
>>
>>23814291
I've heard he liked asimov
>>
>>23814207
not a novel but I think he really would have liked Frieren's depiction of elves
>>
>>23814291
There's a single quote of him saying he "rather enjoyed" the Conan stories, although I believe he only read like one.
>>
>>23819081
What about his depiction of demons? Aura was ultracringe
>>
>>23819081
He would've absolutely despised its melding of modern and medieval aesthetics.
>>
File: GTfAZvYXMAAjc7w.jpg (169 KB, 1080x1080)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>23819118
yeah he wouldn't have liked that or its depiction of magic.

its depiction of elves and their relationships with humans is what Tolkien would have liked
>>
>>23819155
Hobbits smoke pipe tobacco, eat potato soup and wait for the post to be delivered
>>
>>23819164
>pipe tobacco
They called it weed, instead of tobacco to keep it vaguely less anachronistic. Potatoes are never mentioned in the books. Postal services date all the way back to ancient Rome.
>>
File: znax7x2pv0171.jpg (1.45 MB, 3024x4032)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>23819199
>Potatoes are never mentioned in the books.
>>
>>23819206
That's the film novelization you fucking retard.
>>
>>23819081
He would've hated it just as much as he hated Chronicles of Narnia.
>>
>>23819210
no it's not you stupid faggot. Book 4, Chapter 4: Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
>>
>>23819221
Whatever, he still would've called your weeb trash dogshit and considered it below contempt.
>>
>>23819210
Can't tell if trolling or genuinely fucking retarded.
>>
>>23814207
Try starting the thread off with what you think modern fantasy novels tolkien would have liked to get the conversation going. This thread is low effort and extractive.
>>
>>23819325
>low effort and extractive
Welcome to the internet.
>>
>>23819164
If Tolkien wrote it today would hobbits eat tikka masala?
>>
>>23814207
He wrote exactly the sort of books that interested him, and no such books have been written since.
>>23814445
He got crotchety about McDonald later in life, and his disagreements with Lewis' religion, friends, and wife probably colored his opinions more than the actually quality of Lewis' work. Tolkien and Lewis' disagreements probably hit their high point with the posthumous book, "Letters to Malcom", and Tolkien's unpublished critique of said boo,"The Ulsterior Motive".
>>23819095
Yeah, we know Tolkien read "Shadows in the Moonlight", and in regards to R.E. Howard's stories, told L. Sprague de Camp he "rather liked them". He was probably just being polite. From my reading of both men's personal letters I believe Tolkien and Howard would have got along quite well in life if they had made contact anytime before Howard's suicide. Howard's obsession with the Celtic would have annoyed Tolkien, but his agnosticism would have given Tolkien something to pick at to stay interested.
>>
>>23820233
>He wrote exactly the sort of books that interested him, and no such books have been written since.
This is what a always thought, he wrote what he liked and readers be damned.
>>
>>23818756
He didn't like Asimov. It was too pessimistic, too limiting for him.
>What point is it to venture forward only to do the very same that we do now?
Along those lines.
>>
>>23819081
dialogue and characterization in this anime is so bad, there's no tension built, the troupe separate from each other like people who just met 10 minutes ago, i don't understand why anyone praises this
>>
>>23820233
>he was probably just being polite
He was known to be quite open-lipped about things he hated, going so far as to actually insult his friend CS Lewis over his Narnia books.
>>
File: 1657469858416.png (736 KB, 2261x1600)
736 KB
736 KB PNG
Would he like it?
>>
>>23814207
Sanderson. He would appreciate the systems autism.

>>23819155
He did it with Christianity and European paganism.
>>
>>23814291
You wouldn't expect it but he was a reader of Mark Twain despite them coming from very different cultures, having very different outlooks on society, and very different tones in their own writings.

Tolkien had his own autistic niches but he was more broadly-read and willing to engage with a lot of shit you wouldn't associate with him.
>>
>>23819081
Unrelated, both for Tolkien and /lit/, but I love stories that take place in an unconventional, idiosyncratic place in time compared to where a normal stories plot would take place. Most stories would be the quest Frieren and her fellow adventurers embarked on, but it taking DECADES after the big quest is the kind of shit I love. It's why, even though the game sucks mechanically, I love Dark Souls 2, because it takes place as a semi-backdrop from the MAIN story which is maximum comfy.
>>
>>23814291
He mentioned liking/owned books by
>Isaac Asimov
>The Death of Grass by John Christopher
>Rider Haggard, especially SHE
>John Buchan
>E.R. Eddison (with some reservations)
>Some of C.S. Lewis' work (but he hated Narnia)
>William Morris
>Olaf Stapledon
>C.S. Forrester
>H.G. Wells
>The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
>A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay
>Not sure if he liked him but Tolkien was definitely familiar with Lord Dunsany
>Mary Renault
>>23821759
he did like Asimov, pic related
>>
>>23821789
tension is demonic subversion
>>
>>23814207
when side n*gga catch feelings
>>
>>23814207
Book of the new Sun maybe
>>
File: 1717189249927215.jpg (189 KB, 829x1024)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>23822255
>Mary Renault
That stupid fucking bitch was one of the big reasons people started seeing the Greeks as dick-sucking homos. Fuck her and her dogshit books.
>>
>>23823849
I thought the faggotry in some of Plato's dialogues did that.
>>
File: pR9x6Z383.jpg (1.55 MB, 1920x2844)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB JPG
https://youtu.be/WLjVWIxwpao
>>
>>23819164
None of those are modern you massive retard. All 1500s-1600s in the UK.
>>
>>23814396
Somehow I think that he’d dislike authors almost more so if they are scholars.
>>
Honestly I can’t think of any mainly because I can’t think of any which took the old myths and fairytales as inspiration as Tolkien did. Pretty much everyone notable since him has taken him and D&D as their inspiration.
>>
>>23823849
>Plato: It's contrary to nature
yeah, the greeks knew that. it didn't sop them from doing it anyway
>>
>>23819081
>>23822015
He'd consider comics to be inferior to literary fantasy.
>There is, for example, in surrealism commonly present a morbidity or un-ease very rarely found in literary fantasy. The mind that produced the depicted images may often be suspected to have been in fact already morbid; yet this is not a necessary explanation in all cases. A curious disturbance of the mind is often set up by the very act of drawing things of this kind, a state similar in quality and consciousness of morbidity to the sensations in a high fever, when the mind develops a distressing fecundity and facility in figure-making, seeing forms sinister or grotesque in all visible objects about it. I am speaking here, of course, of the primary expression of Fantasy in “pictorial” arts, not of “illustrations”; nor of the cinematograph. However good in themselves, illustrations do little good to fairy-stories. The radical distinction between all art (including drama) that offers a visible presentation and true literature is that it imposes one visible form. Literature works from mind to mind and is thus more progenitive. It is at once more universal and more poignantly particular. If it speaks of bread or wine or stone or tree, it appeals to the whole of these things, to their ideas; yet each hearer will give to them a peculiar personal embodiment in his imagination. Should the story say “he ate bread,” the dramatic producer or painter can only show ”a piece of bread” according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own. If a story says “he climbed a hill and saw a river in the valley below,” the illustrator may catch, or nearly catch, his own vision of such a scene; but every hearer of the words will have his own picture, and it will be made out of all the hills and rivers and dales he has ever seen, but especially out of The Hill, The River, The Valley which were for him the first embodiment of the word.
>>
>>23819081
>can't escape this putrid dogshit even on a board like /lit/
kill yourself
>>
>>23824043
this
he knew just how much of a hack he was
>>
>>23822255

Genuinely surprised he never liked or read Lovecraft because the nameless things under Moria or all the cursed lands, or Ungoliant sound purely Lovecraftian inspired.
>>
>>23824916
Lovecraft was a very obscure writer through most of Tolkien's life, only becoming notable towards the end in the 1960s

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.