[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I regret reading the stranger and that shit was expensive too, what overrated books should i avoid reading?
>>
>>23814436
Read Bartleby the Scrivener and Billy Budd. Both are "Stranger but actually good" in different ways.

So far, I thought the following books in the top 100 sucked:
>War & Peace (Anna Karenina was good though)
>Dorian Gray
>Savage Detectives
>all of Hesse
>not in the top 100, but William Blake's collected poems
>>
>>23814472
>>not in the top 100, but William Blake's collected poems
explain why this is bad...
>>
>>23814482
I just don't think he's a particularly skilled poet. He had some cool ideas, but lacked the skill to execute them, his poems feel linguistically amateurish and bloated.
I can sort of understand his fans, but I read mostly for the beauty of language, not for ideas or aesthetics.
>>
>>23814490
Fair enough, thanks
>>
>>23814472
i was going to read war and peace but ive seen some people say that Anna Karenina is better, does he have another good book?
>>
I found my copy of the stranger at a soup kitchen called "our daily bread", there was also a book on literary criticism, lol.
>>
>>23814516
Supposedly he has a lot of great short stories - Hadji Murat and Ivan Ilyich in particular. His Resurrection is a lot different from his early novels, I heard it was more Christian-sentimental in the style of Dostoevsky.
I've only ever read his novels, but you could start with the short stories if you feel skeptical.
My dislike War & Peace may be just me being weird, since I much prefer writers obsessed with detail like Mann, James or Huysmans, and I felt W&P was too flippant and cursory in its treatment of characters and descriptions. Anna Karenina had a much slower pace so it might've just accidentally managed to fit my taste. Plus imo it used much more beautiful language.
>>
>>23814436
The picture is funny because it has AI effects that aren't so easily describable because they aren't people. I can only say that each look like they have downs.
>>
>>23814472
I liked Demian, haven't read anything else but have purchased and am intending to read Narziss and Goldmund. What didn't you like about Hesse?
>>
>>23814436
>SIUPID FAGGOT

dead ai theory
>>
>>23814436
Avoid everything written by Bret Easton Ellis
>>
>>23814436
Goethe's Faust (unless you speak German I guess)
Nausea
The Castle
>>
>>23814472
>SD
>sucked
My taste would also be this abyssmal if i was an EOP and a midwit
>>
>>23814436
All of DH Lawrence, Pynchon, Updike, Franzen, anyone that has written a novel about New York City. Oh, and Frank O'hara's 'poetry'.
>>
>>23814436
Camus died just as he was becoming a good novelist. Instead read The Fall and The Last Man to get a glimpse of what could have been.

Also, Camus is a much better essayist/speech writer.
>>
>>23814436
Read "who goes there*
>>
>>23815501
wait why is Faust bad
i haven't read it yet
>>
>>23814472
I never liked Hesse either.
>>
>>23816736
Faust part 2 is difficult and highly experimental. That anon got filtered.
>>
>>23816736
It's good even in English. That other Anon is a retard.
>>
>>23814482
There's hardly any poets whose 'Collected Poems' is actually good.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.