[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 027.jpg (41 KB, 640x512)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
What are your guys thoughts on what is the 'definitive' english language western edition of the holy bible? And which one should I get as someone who wants to study it for the first time, as someone from a non christian region?
I want to read the scriptures for the first time and I want the most for lack of a better word 'based' iteration or publication of it from any era or sect/whatever, my english is very good and money is not an object when it comes to rare editions/publications of it from previous eras or publishers.
Any christian bros or religious majors want to help a brother out?
>inb4 do your research, I'm mixing xans with alcohol atm (bad idea as it turns out) and my usual google game is a little fucked
>>
>>23816264
>the 'definitive' english language western edition
There can never be a single 'definitive' translation of any text, though sometimes there will be one so good that people conclude it's unlikely to be surpassed.
That said, the usual recommendation I hear for an "academic" translation is the NRSV.
>my english is very good
Is English your native language? If not, you might be better off reading a translation in your native language.
>>
>>23816264
KJV, NASB and NRSV are the most recommended ones
>>
>>23816264
NRSV with commentary is the default for people studying it academically these days (I use the New Oxford Annotated Edition)
J.J. Collins' Introduction to the Hebrew is a good secondary source for the OT specifically and contains a good list of references for anyone trying to get a good in depth understanding of the book(s)
.t actual biblical studies major
>>
File: s-l1200.jpg (164 KB, 1200x1200)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>23816264
If you want to study the text academically, the other anons have already provided good recs. But if you really want to feel the soul of the text there's no way around picrel.
>>
>>23816264
I'll always have a fondness for the KJV
>>
>>23817768
It's a beautiful translation, if a bit lacking for some refinements of modern scholarship and featuring some uses that a modern English speaker may be liable to misunderstand.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.