[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1717796868387095.jpg (58 KB, 463x325)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
All of this is wrong.

-Ever see the bibliography of an academic book? Those people read more books in a year than you've read in your entire life. You need to catch up or you will forever be a brainlet.
-Force yourself to read starting at 100 pages a day and going up from there. Now is not a time for weakness.
-Read the most difficult books you can find and focus on them intensively. Do not waste your time on fiction or so-called "light reads", these are mental poison. I recommend Scotus' Quaestiones Metaphysicae.
-You're in a race against time. You're not getting any younger, you need to learn as much as you can before you die, so quit dicking around.
-Save money by going to the library or using an e-reader, don't buy a hard-copy unless you think you'll re-read it 3 or 4 times. Your personal library should only be a shelf or two.
-Do not read books discussed on /lit/, most people here are under 20 years old.
>>
>>23817665
This is all good. The one thing I would add is to be sure that what you're reading is benefitting you in some way. The point of reading is to learn and grow. It's not just a way to pass the time.
>>
>>23817672
Totally wrong. Here's why:

- Ever see the bibliography of an academic book? It’s full of references most people skim or use for citation clout. Quality beats quantity every time. Reading 1 great book with deep understanding is far more powerful than racing through a dozen.
- 100 pages a day? That's forcing quantity over retention. Try 20–30 pages a day of *thoughtful* reading. Reflect on what you read, digest it. Cramming doesn’t lead to wisdom, only fatigue.
- Difficult books are great, but dismissing fiction or “light reads” is ridiculous. Fiction deepens empathy, creativity, and offers different forms of truth. Balance is key.
- Life isn't a "race against time." It's about learning and experiencing things at your own pace. Reading should enrich your life, not stress you out about death. Enjoy the process, don't rush it.
- Saving money is smart, but if a book resonates with you, buy it. Your personal library should be a source of pride, not some minimalistic trophy case. Books you love deserve a home.
- Reading recommendations from people under 20? Their fresh perspectives might introduce you to something new and valuable. Never dismiss someone just because of their age.

This isn’t a competition; reading is about enrichment.
>>
>>23817762
If I’m reading fiction, what is the main benefit I should be after?
>>
>>23817762
catastrophically bad advice and i especially hope you're not telling this to kids. reading needs to become effortless and automatic, policing your own reading habits is a great way to prevent that from ever happening.
>>
>>23817665
These are exactly the same conclusions I arrived at. They work, especially the last one if you are a cheap fuck like me
>>
>>23817665
>>23817672
>>23817776
You're all wrong, here's why:
-Remember the average person reads like 5 books per day. If you read less than this, you are *retarded*.
-Limit yourself to no more than 1 page per day of intensive, *schizophrenic* reading. Annotate and underline every single word. There are hidden ciphers which contain important information about your personal life.
-Only read children's books. Do not read anything with words that you don't understand, they are liberal propaganda.
-You will understand best if you read books out loud very slowly and clearly. Quiet public places, like libraries, enable you to hear yourself better.
-Save money by *stealing* books. Then it doesn't even matter if you read them or not.
-Spend all of your free time arguing on /lit/. Almost everyone here has a PhD and it's a better use of your time than reading anyway.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.