[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (239 KB, 260x385)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
Why is this book considered YA? I re-read it for the first time since childhood on a whim and I found it to have a lot of depth and strong themes (burden of duty, isolation/loneliness) that would go over a lot of children's heads. I also found it to be even better than I remembered, although that's partially due to nostalgia and personal identification with the characters and themes rather than objective quality - either way I'm curious what the retards of this board think about it
>>
because you have to be a child to suspend your disbelief.
for instance, they've gathered up all the most brilliant children spawned by humanity, and then when they get to the school all but one (and a half) of them turn into absolute fucking retards.
card is a hack. he can only write 'smart' characters by making everyone else dumb as shit.
>>
like most pre-harry potter stuff, ender's game is YA out of subject matter happenstance and readability. The book takes place in a school and has kids as main characters, and its not a difficult book to read, therefore you can give it to your twelve year old.

Its pretty obvious from the sequels that it wasn't written for the YA market, but it definitely caught that audience and the latter additions (Shadow series, Ender in Exile, etc) felt more hacky and YA than the original tetralogy.
>>
Because it's written by a Mormon and is aimed at children.
>>
>>23819263
you can't tell from the barebones prose? it's basically the hungry caterpillar, let alone the protag is 6 years old
>>
>>23819345
is the sequel worth reading? it feels kind of unnecessary, the original story is self-contained and wraps up nicely
>>
>>23819444
It's worth reading if you think you want to read it. Faggot.
>>
>>23819444
Speaker for the Dead is barely connected, in a good way.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.