[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So uh do I contain unique multitudes, or are people all pretty much predictable and same-y?
>>
depends
>>
>>23819364
elaborate
>>
File: 141841321.jpg (12 KB, 300x294)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>23820420
>>
>>23820444
elaborate
>>
My stool has been bloody these last few fortnights
>>
>>23820976
elaborate
>>
>>23819362
Well, what standard do you have for a meaningful conception of “different-ness” or “sameness”? Hypothetically, as in, is a survey which 33% of responders say vanilla ice cream is their favorite, 25% say chocolate, 25% say Rocky Road, and 12% say Neapolitan a meaningful metric of unpredictability when certainly guessing a random person ice preference? To me, the fact that people contradict and confront each other over even seemingly arbitrary micro-issues shows there is a great deal of diversity and unpredictability in human personality, belief, yadda yadda.
>>
>>23821541
I was thinking more about patterns of behavior or the way people behave when subjected to things. Are people really deep and complex, or are they fairly predictable input/output machines?
>>
>>23822073
That's an interesting question. I could easily see it going either way, since humans have instincts and will react to extreme stimuli through involuntary response mechanism. Which is what would have kept us alive in the wild. But adding in elements of culture, religion, social cohesion, and personal genetic and environmental factors, one could act against their instincts if their belief were strong enough. So, in that way, I don't think human beings would be neatly predictable. It would be interesting to see a bunch of minds from a variety of field get together and discuss this (anthropologists, neuroscientists, psychologists, theologians, philosophers, etc).
>>
>>
>>23819362
>So uh do I contain unique multitudes, or are people all pretty much predictable and same-y?
Yes.
>>
>>23819362
If someone answered this question in the negative and you believe them you’re a huge faggot; and since there’s only one other choice anyway that means you’re a thoughtless faggot for even asking. So no, you don’t contain multitudes.
>>
>>23823246
But you are an example of what I'm talking about. You are being the 4chan(tm) brand of hostile and dominating. Predictable.
>>
>>23822116
Have you ever heard the imperative voice?
>>
>>23823453
Yes. Why?
>>
>>23823555
A lot of people don't understand anything, like the NPC meme. Those retards that can't subvocalize, visualize, recognize qualia, or lack free will. I was just wondering if you ever heard your instincts before.
>>
>>23824324
That's a good point. Most people are seemingly obsessed with conformity but what about contrarians? Are they being genuine or are they rebelling out of a need for attention? Any good books on this dichotomy?
>>
shid
>>
>>23825629
fard
>>
>>23820543
It depends on the person.
Are they Enlightened or sleepwalkers?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.