[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0363.jpg (6 KB, 219x230)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I’m thinking of writing a story set in Ancient Rome during the time of Nero. It starts as a conversation between two people with one of them saying that symbols started off simple and then developed into massive man made structures (such as language, fiction, and art) that create and rely on other structures and infrastructure, and this will continue until they overtake reality itself and become more important. People mistake the symbols for what they are representing. because while the IMAGE projects realism by looking real, the MEANING projects something far different. and since all MEANING in our art is slowly becoming meaningless and irrelevant in our visually-based society, our generations perception of REALITY is becoming skewed and twisted into something that is VIRTUAL REALITY. i fear that soon we wont be able to distinguish between REALITY and VIRTUAL REALITY. i fear that IMAGE will not only become more important than MEANING, but IMAGE WILL BECOME THE ONLY MEANING.

The story then jumps into the year 1997 in New York City at the UN building, where two other people are having a conversation where they say they believed that life was just being bridged between two existences, early primitive life and….something else. They say that it has been less than a century since we have seen advanced technology, less than a century window after billions of years of primitive and primordial existence.

The story then jumps to Herat, Afghanistan on November 9th, 2001 and centers on a female us soldier and a cia agent in a black site.

Is this a good story idea? Or should I just give up

Asking random retards on the internet
>>
sound retarded

go for it
>>
my boy has been reading the jean baudrillard wikipedia again
>>
>>23819561
Never heard of him
>>
>>23819435
Write a few normal stories before you try this kind of shit
>>
>>23819435
Jumping between characters makes it hard for people to become invested.
>>
>>23819435
>>23819597
this

the ancient roman stuff sounds like it wants to be life of brian but no jokes. Immersion is non-existent.
>>
>>23819597
yeah. i have no grounds to speak on myself but common sense tells me that this is something for a seasoned author in the prime years of his life to tackle, after exhausting himself on the more mundane questions that need to be answered. i have many abstract ideas that i will save for the day i have perfected my craft and can give them the necessary literary framework they need to be digestible by an audience.
>>
>>23819911
U look lik a boogerrrrr
>>
don't listen to these retards telling you not to write it and to focus on your craft. what "smaller ideas" do you have to tackle? how to take a shit? write the story.
>>
>>23819435
She raped millions.
>>
>>23820836
it's crazy to me that erol morris made a doc about abu ghraib and treated it as an apology tour for that cunt
>>
>>23819911
When Borges had this problem of being more interested in exploring the concepts than the story itself, he would compress his whole novel into a few short pages, and give a sort of running summary.

If your idea seems to ambitious for your current skillset, maybe you could try that. I think instead of actually having to write scenes in Rome, Borges would've avoided a lot of complications by turning that conversation into a recently unearthed philosophical dialogue from an archaeological dig in Pompeii.
>>
>thinking of writing a story
>describes story instead of just writing it.
NGMI
>>
>>23820459
nigger ! ! !
>>23820859
i appreciate your reply friend
>>
>>23819587
Your idea isn't original but a watered down version of baudrillard

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.