[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714964802601892.jpg (73 KB, 960x956)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>Editor's Preface
>Preface
>Foreword
>Forward to the 3rd edition
>Forward to the 20th anniversary edition
>Introduction
>Acknowledgements
>Note on the Text
>A word from the author

Why does this bullshit exist? I hate it. Just start the book!!
>>
>foreword spoils the ending
Completely skipped them ever since
>>
They were for pre-internet times when you didn't have any supplemental material you could want at your fingertips.
>>
File: IMG_6250.jpg (498 KB, 1170x2286)
498 KB
498 KB JPG
>>23819608
Haha that’s a funny exagger—ACK!
>>
Depending on the quality of the edition, I usually read the introduction after the book because it summarises the academic landscape regarding the text.
>>
>>23819613
This is mega gay and it seems natural to just make spoiler laden material an afterword but no! Not consistency, no sensible custom of not spoiling shit.
>>
>>23819617
Then why do they keep doing it?
>>
>>23819743
Boomers
>>
I feel shame and guilt when I skip them, but I still do
>>
>>23819707
Some editors became aware of this and include a "for this study it'd be best if the reader has already read the novel" or a "the reader would rather enjoy to discover these things on their first read" in the middle of the introduction before they get to spoiler heavy stuff and just after they end the biography section. It's greatly appreciated, but making it a foreword would be even more appreciated
>>
I don't want to hear about the book from anyone except for the author. I hate this bullshit.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.