[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 434664.jpg (657 KB, 1680x1050)
657 KB
657 KB JPG
It's Been 4 Fucking Hours, Where's the Thread? Edition

>Recommended reading charts. (Look here before asking for vague recs)
https://mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ/folder/4rAmSZxb
>Archive
>https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg
>Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg
>>
>>23807402
Previous thread
>>
File: harry potter xianxia.jpg (68 KB, 883x166)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Just finished reading the first 100 chapters of nightfall
>>
any fictional books that are heavily inspired by ancient greek mythology?
>>
>>23819962
The Song of Achilles
>>
>>23819962
Iliad, odyssey
>>
>>23820004
preferably something that utilizes those aspects in a subtle manner, and less emphasis on the gay sex.
>>23820010
these were historical texts. I know because I was there.
>>
>>23820050
>less emphasis on the gay sex
I thought you would like it.
>>
sffg is dead, long live sffg
>>
>>23819959
Well, how is it?
>>
File: 1696684561546245.jpg (40 KB, 311x475)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Almost done with watcher of the dead, its really impressive how much of an improvement this one is over the sword from red ice. Shame Jones will probably never finish this series
>>
eleventh for bakker is king
>>
File: IMG_5347.jpg (55 KB, 440x660)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
KJ Parker is the best writer of fantasy currently and no one here has heard of him. Read the Scavenger trilogy or Fencer, read Sixteen Ways or the Folding Knife or Saevus Corax — it’s all depressing and extremely clever and often quite funny, usually with a focus on some kind of specialty or skill . Not pozzed, no women POVs, minimal world building because Parker understands character is where the money is.

Read his books or I will go insane in endless threads about grrm.
>>
>>23820218
post a mega with his books, im not gonna bother going on libgen to read his works.
>>
>>23820218
Nigga you a bad ad not worth your cost
>>
>>23820216
so what's the deal with the no-god? autism?
>>
Give me some books like "a hero goes, goes, goes in desolate country and SUDDENLY there is a castle there".

What I know:
Some Conan stories (like The Castle of Terror).
The beginning of "Cugel's saga".
The Tomb
The Keep by F. Paul Wilson.
>>
>>23820505
At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft
>>
File: kjparker.jpg (20 KB, 928x182)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>23820218
>le main character has amnesia trope
Off to a bad start.
>>
Whore after all..,
>>
Gimme your darkest fantastic, shit that would make Bakker recoil in horror.
>>
>>23820662
A boy and girl met and have a loving baby making sex while holding hands the whole time, the books would also feature 0 faggotry
>>
>>23820667
Damn sounds bleak bro
>>
>>23810028
>>23810120
The first book was pretty good! It's a short book, but a lot happened. The pace is a lot faster than many most modern stories. Which, is some cases is great. In other cases, it left me wanting to know more. That's the thing with older books, they push the plot forward no matter what, even if it means cutting corners.

But the story was interesting regardless. I like the main character. I'm not even sure why I'm rooting for him. He would probably be the bad guy in any other story. But we're following him, and he has some sympathetic qualities, so I don't mind.

The whole thing with the cards is kind of cheesy. But I'm glad I don't know anything about tarot cards, so I'm too ignorant to get the connections. My ignorance helps me ignore the cheesiness.

The magic stuff is something I've never seen before. So that's all nice, new and novel. Well, actually I have seen something like it from this youtube channel. (Maybe don't click if you don't want books spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29lba5yccc
>>
is this a thing? can i analyse my own writing in this way? do editors do this? can i improve my own writing by emulating the analysis of a great author?
>>
>>23820784
what the fuck am I looking at here
>>
>>23820787
attempt at an objective framework to analyse prose, by breaking down their word usage to number of words per paragraph, average sentence length in words, number of adjectives/adverbs per sentence, and then whether those words were germanic or latinate.i can't find the source.
>>
File: 81mGREOjxDL._SL1500_.jpg (197 KB, 938x1500)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
Has anyone here read Will new series The Last Horizon? Is it any good?
I really enjoyed reading Cradle but I judge a book by the cover and I hate these covers
>>
File: 81nHNCZ47LL._SL1500_.jpg (204 KB, 938x1500)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>23820875
I dont even know how someone as big as him can approve something like this, they suck, horrible covers

Cradle covers were so much better and simple
>>
Is there a book with a girl and zombie romance? The girl is stalked by an ugly zombie and avoids him but when she finally kisses him/sex with him, the zombie turns into a handsome prince
>>
Who are your favorite female warriors, /sffg/?
>>
>>23820901
Elantris
>>
>caring about prose when books are about wizards, dragons, and bikini armor wearing girls that shoot fireballs from their tits
>>
>>23819962
Soldier of the Mist by Eugenio Loboe
>>
>>23821032
>Heat gathered inside Alaya's chest. The flame of Roshi, gifted to her by the seven Gods of Dere, grew hotter and more intense with each passing ray of sunlight. She glared at the ice dragon, Yukari of the East, and pushed her chest forward. Flares from her mammaries threatened Yukari to what would come.

"Is that all?" Yukari mocked, in an ever increasing condescending tone.
Alaya was not deterred. "Ice Dragon, it would behoove thou fort' of imminent threats, last we meet this faithful day."
Yukari's face remained unchanged.
Alaya removed her chest plate and let the piece drop. The metal clanged onto the ground.
Flames bursted from Alaya's perky pink nubs; an inferno vast and potent, like the yearly wildfires of Commiforta. Blazes scorched Yukari with such intense heat the sands around her began to crystalized.
Alaya swayed her chest side to side, spraying her flames across the charred body the Ice Dragon. Smoke billowed and created plumes that eclipsed the Tiako skyline. The fires slowed and stopped. Droplets of oil leaked from Alaya's nozzles. All that remained of Yukari was a lump of blacken dragon meat. The Orcs were eating well tonight.
>>
File: Ez77tNe.jpg (75 KB, 774x960)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Other than Neuromancer, what's considered to be good cyberpunk fiction?
>>
>>23821091
>Commiforta
Commiforta->Commiefornia->California
Very deep and insightful political commentary.

>Roshi
Dragon Ball

>Seven Gods of Dere
Love, tying back as in a joke with the perversions of Roshi. Deredere, Tsundere, Yandere, etc.

>Ice Dragon Yukari
Yuki is snow, but that's too obvious. "Of the east" meaning Japan. Amazing.

>Breasts
Queen's Blade and some older stuff, like Heavy Metal.

>Tiako
Either Tokyo or being dumb in some other way.

Probably a lot I missed. There's also a lot of psychosexual elements present.
>>
File: portada_alya-1.jpg (179 KB, 1920x1080)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>23821319
Roshi is Russia.
Roshidere.
>>
>>23820950
Catti-brie or Brienne. That's what came to my mind first.
>>
>>23820050
you could try The Will of the Many. Islington wrote a nice novel about a self-contained timeloop, which turned out to be too cerebral for the roasties on Goodreads. his decision must have been to say "fuck it" when he wrote TWotM, because it's as formulaic as it gets, but it's still good fun.

or you could read Ilium and Olympos. it's even more full of literary pretentiousness than Endymion, but ultimately enjoyable.
>>23820186
Crippled Mama is not like the hacks sitting on unfinished manuscripts. she suffered a temporary setback and I'm sure the 3 part Endlords book will be glorious.
>>23820488
it's a hunk of uranium infused with sentience obtained by inverse fire annihilation of SPOILERS's soul, but without any of the senses that keep a sentient being sane. like all good villains, he has no comprehension of the vastness of his impact on the world around him, and he's confused and only wants someone to tell him what they see.
>>
>>23821146
The Fortunate Fall by Raphael Carter
>>
>>23820817
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGtVPRnFi_s
Here's the source, anon. Not sure how good a predictor it actually is.
>>
Where do you people think non-female targeted fantasy trends will go? Which books that came out in the last 5 years will set the standard for things to come in the next 5 years?
>>
>>23821583
Cradle and Dungeon Cuck Carl.
>>
>>23821583
Mushoku Tensei
>>
>>23821586
I think it'll be a short-lived peak for mainstream litrpg and cultivation. Like for manwha anime adaptations.
>>
My wife stopped reading this one romance fantasy book because the love interest groveled before the antagonist to spare the mc’s life.
She got the ick for a fictional character.
>>
>>23821600
Your wife is not a real person.
>>
>>23821600
>not fucking the antagonist on top of the MC's corpse
Ick
>>
File: tao.png (102 KB, 321x145)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
any erotic chinkshit?
>>
File: 1695679600564121.gif (1.88 MB, 374x280)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB GIF
>enjoying Millennial Mage
>suddenly in book 5 or 6 the MC suddenly acquires a talking wikipedia inside of her head
The MC going through tough times, or having an introspective moment, or talking and interacting with other characters have basically been replaced with pointless inner monologue that would work better without the constant back and forth. Half the conversation is just one them agreeing with the other, or totally breaking the tension of the scene with some shitty quip.
I'm still enjoying the things happening, though less and less, but why the fuck the author would think this was a good idea blows my fucking mind
>>
>>23821800
are they even allowed to write smut
>>
>But now, the plucky young kobold must put his dreams of ascending to dragonhood aside to fight his most sinister enemy yet - RACISM
>>
>>23820875
>>23820877
I read the first book in the series. It's a lot looser than Cradle. Much less concerned about world building. Much less concerned about scaling growth of the characters. Rather, it quickly introduces you to the basic concept of the character's powers, which end up being OP as fuck. It introduces the big bad, which is also OP as fuck. And then the character assembles a team who are all OP as fuck in their own ways. And it's just an exhibition of crazy cosmic level super powers.

Basically, Will Wight is not holding anything back this time. He's always shown an interest in cosmic horror, and huge power levels. This books is an indulgence. It wasn't bad, if that's what you're into. It's written in the same Will Wight style. The cast is likeable enough. The stakes are well established. When everyone is OP, then they can still challenge each other, so there is some suspense of whether they will make it through or not.

It's very light reading.
Personally, I'm hoping that after he gets this out of his system, he'll return to a more structured fantasy world, with lower power levels.
>>
>>23821586
the future of fantasy is bleak
>>
>>23821600
>Your wife fantasizes about other men
Ick.
>>
Alright /sffg/ what are the good current fantasy writers that are still produce fantasy novel with good prose, engaging and mature story and actually inheriting the genre without turning it into a smut fiction, women self fulfillment, or sanderson fantasy style?
I'm talking about the actual english/yurop fantasy, not the chingwingxeng webnovel or retarded AI slop cover self publish 'novel' by the way
>>
>>23822341
Joe Abercrombie
Susanna Clarke
>>
File: 1724883932001310.jpg (206 KB, 1024x1365)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>23821600
>he married a woman who reads anything other than cookbooks
ngmi
>>
>>23822348
>Joe Abercrombie
>Susanna Clarke
Did you even read what I wrote? Abercrombie is women self fulfillment with some smut. The other is literally a woman.
>>
>>23822341
Ask again in a couple of decades when we've finally shifted through the published writers of the 2010s to find something worth reading (however unlikely it seems at the moment)
>>
File: file.png (2.84 MB, 1250x2000)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB PNG
Any books similar to Necroepilogos? I am already familiar with Nechronica (the tabletop game) and the Night Land stuff.
>>
>>23822367
>what I wrote
Stop pretending to be me
>>
File: IMG_0654.jpg (141 KB, 627x1000)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>23820700
Very, very glad you’ve enjoyed it so far.
>I came back to 4chan and found this topic because I remembered you said you were going to give it a listen.
The quality’s great to me, throughout. Really hoping you’ll enjoy the rest. I loved the second half of Amber just as much as the first, though they feel different. (I won’t spoil why.)
I’m not sure where you are so far, if you’ve got the series quartered, when I had it all of a piece, but have a great one wherever you are in the journey, fellow reader.

>(Oh, and I think most readers dive in pretty much unfamiliar with tarot, by the way- I was too, (and still am, mostly,) so feel you there.
>-I think it just stands as an interesting framework for a system Zelazny does a whole lot more with, very satisfyingly. The cards sort of lightly being used as identifying devices helpful to the reader for the array of Princes, similar to Lewis Carroll‘s playing cards in Wonderland, by the way..with which you can benefit from and more expansively analyze maybe, with a little more knowledge, but can still very much appreciate at certain a-ha moments, just from a basic familiarity with playing cards.

I completely feel you too, in genuinely liking and rooting for the main character. No matter how many times I’ve reread this series, I still can’t understand why I do, but just..there it is, underneath everything. It’s pretty refreshing. ..Maybe it’s because he’s so solid and genuine, when so much in literature (and rl)’s ambivalent.
I always imagined him as Gawain from the Arthurian tales, having read Gerald Morris as a little kid.
Anyway, cheers man, enjoy your travels!
>>
File: sanderson.png (284 KB, 285x379)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
>>23819716
>Magic system, magic system
If you say this 7 times in the mirror Brandon Sanderson appears.
>>
>>23822341
The irony will be the self publish novel will be the one that will become the next classic
>>
>>23822500
>self publish novel will be the one that will become the next classic
Lol
Lmao
>>
Any good stories about a necromancer girl?
>>
File: IMG_0655.jpg (219 KB, 1080x1600)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>23822563
Gideon the Ninth
>>
File: wokeshit.png (183 KB, 1022x538)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>23822582
Any actual recommendation?
>>
>>23820218
I read Purple and Black
It was great
>>
>>23822496
Magic system? Tf is that
t. Never read sanderson
>>
>>23822563
Saint deaths daughter ;>}
>>
File: sabriel.jpg (322 KB, 2000x2994)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>23822563
Sabriel. Although, she's kind of an anti-necro girl. She's all about making sure the dead STAYS dead. But she's not some lame paladin character. She's a little goth and walks alongside death in order to do her job.
>>
File: reverend.jpg (49 KB, 311x404)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Should I read this?
>>
>why yes, my main character does wear a skintight leotard
>>
>>23822582
> A book with HECKIN' COOL BAD-ASS ASSASSIN LESBIANS!
kys
>>
>>23822714
Don't read the translation.
>>
File: regressor's.jpg (90 KB, 375x537)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>23822714
no, you should read this
>>
>>23822731
Well, I can't read Chinese.
>>23822732
Regression/reincarnation shit always puts me off. The only ones I've enjoyed were a couple of murim manhwa where the point wasn't the power wank.
>>
>>23822754
For what it's worth I wouldn't even consider this much of a regression novel
There is a "loop" element but each of the loops is so different it's not even comparable to the previous ones
there's a strong sense of constant forward progression
also MC doesn't get shit for free
it takes him a lot of effort and suffering to even become a foundation building (low-tier) cultivator
>>
>>23822754
>Regression/reincarnation shit always puts me off
Have you tried The first 15 lives of Harry August?

>>23822704
I should have mentioned I've read Sabriel (and most of the other Old Kingdom novels) and that's actually the reason I want more necromancer girl stories.
>>
Fantasy novel with cyromancer mc? (no chang webnovel, nips light novel, or any retarded fake novel like that). Preferably written by white man, published in europe.
>>
>>23822795
you know now that you mention it it's weird that i can't think of any
>>
File: IMG_3245.jpg (97 KB, 609x1000)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
I fucking hate Regal.
>>
>>23822779
I should have mentioned I've read Sabriel
I thought that might be the case. Oh well. I don't know any other necro girl books.

>>23822795
You can get your point across with less racism.
>>
>>23822732
>>23822754
That's a lgbt novel though
>>
>>23822923
Oh, saying preferably is raycist now??
>>
>>23822942
Regressor's isn't an lgbt novel are you retarded
>>
>>23822923
please be more racist. Do better.
>>
>>23822367
>Abercrombie is women self fulfillment
It wasnt always like that....
>>
>>23821488
>Crippled Mama is not like the hacks sitting on unfinished manuscripts
>checked her patrion
>its all some random shit like what she had for diner and ai pictures of her characters from the book
its over
>>
File: abercuckie.jpg (218 KB, 517x919)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>23823093
The first trilogy and the three stand alone books after are really good.
The second trilogy is not as good.
>>
>>23822367
>Abercrombie is women self fulfillment with some smut
>>23823180
Somehow I instantly knew this after glancing at the book cover design alone
>>
The Door Into Summer, Robert A. Heinlein

For me the best part of this was reading someone otherwise intelligent who's never heard of a microprocessor explain how to build robots. "First, take a wheelchair, attach the guidance system from an intercontinental missile and then..." The idea of the "Thorsen tubes" used for the robots' memory seem to be based on Williams tubes, an actual early form of RAM. I wonder if Heinlein is the first to write about the concept of Roomba, because that's pretty much what he describes in one part of the novel. He also talks about something that sounds like CAD software, though he describes it as some type of physical gadget that replaces a drafting table.
I found the actual time travel shenanigans less interesting, partly because both of the settings depicted, the 1970s and the 00s, were "future" from the author's perspective, which leaves things a bit abstract, especially since he doesn't go into much detail about the surroundings.
Heinlein's strengths don't come much across in a mushy time travel story like this and I may have been spoiled by BTTF and other more recent examples in the genre.
>>
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

I liked the depictions of the zero-g laser tag games in the earlier parts of the book. The author satisfyingly illustrates the implications for tactical maneuvering of thrusterless movement - you can't change your direction of movement without pushing off a wall or another solid object.
But the final third went full retard with

the star wars space battles fought with magic superweapons that clearly had nothing to do with the prior training of the kids.
They basically told a bunch of 12-year olds "You've played five years of football. Now you're ready to lead the Normandy invasion." Yes, they actually told the kids they were just training for the real invasion, but why waste all those years having them play stupid paintball games that had nothing to do with anything. They were training fleet admirals and squadron leaders, not fucking space marines. They should have started Battle School playing the simulator.
Not to mention, strategically speaking, they didn't seem to have any reason for an invasion to begin with. They obviously were shown to have the capability to accelerate ships to a high enough fraction of light speed the crews would experience time dilation and live to see the destination in their lifetimes. But since the IF clearly had no qualms about committing genocide, why bother sending crewed ships that you then have to spend years decelerating to reach the destination and fight enemy fleets with unprepared child commanders when the cleanest solution to the bugger problem would have been to snipe their homeworld with an RKV that would've reached the destination in a fraction of the time. But then there would have been no need for child soldiers

and the entire plot of the novel wouldn't have happened. Sad.
Also what was the purpose of mentioning all those gravity technologies that weren't actually used anywhere in the plot.
>>
>>23823237
Science-fiction will not survive the light-speed missile revolution.
>>
>>23823234
that's the one where the main character uses time travel and hibernation to groom a little girl, right?
>>
>>23823237
no, no NO NO N1O
THE FATE OF HUMANITY MUST DEPEND ON THE ONE KID WHO CAN DRAW 79 SPIRALING LINES ON HIS DESK WITHOUT OVERLAPPING.
>>
>>23823234
This is why it is important to make your gadgets impossibru, so that the autistic reader will never doubt your intellect.
>>
I recently realized pretty much all of my favourite scifi books are written by authors which lean democrat. Any good scifi from right-leaning authors?
>>
>>23823489
Heinlein had a more conservative bent at the time he wrote Starship Troopers.
>>
>>23823489
Ender's Game.
>>
>>23823489
Theft of Fire by Devon Eriksen is a recent one I liked (libertarian author)
And of course, Heinlein >>23823522
other stuff from him too, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is quite libertarian, and even when he was flirting with left-wing hippie ideas (Stranger in a Strange Land) it was quite different from modern leftism.
Some stories by Ayn Rand qualify as science fiction, Atlas Shrugged is the famous one and Anthem was an early dystopian sci-fi, predating 1984.
>>
>>23823527
I liked Ender's Game and started reading the second book in series and just put it down after first few chapters. It was like written by somebody else. Am I the only one?
>>
>>23822732
>harem
>transported to another world
>multiple transported individuals
>timeloop
I shan't be reading it
>>
>>23823489
Poul Anderson
James Blish
>>
File: 1677453007504575.jpg (25 KB, 313x500)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>23821146
KINO
I
N
O
>>
Some Canadian tranny "Mintopop" is trying to delete Bakker's wikipedia page. Which is funny because Bakker looks like their patron saint Chris Chan if he lost some weight.
>>
>>23822732
>regressor
>cultivation
doesnt get more cancerous than this
>>
>>23824203
just looked it up and this nigga is doing mental backflips in the talk page trying to weasel his way into deleting Bakker's page for some bizarre reason
>>
>>23824203
Literally why?
>>
>>23824339
agp smile while gooning in discord over little power he has to inflict bother on others
>>
>>23824203
Doing gods work troon, you love to see freaks turn on each other
>>
>>23823489
that's because sci fi is some gay fantasy about progressive ideas, while fantasy is about nationalism and preserving the past. At least it was until women took hold and we entered the dark days.
>>
Why does it seem Westeros is the only place without magic? Like every other place has witches and wargs, people who can change their face at will, etc but Westeros has nothing and in fact they think stories about (what we would classify as) the supernatural are just children tales?
>>
>>23824533
You've forgotten the magic of the indigenous people of Westeros.
>>
>>23824533
I hate how fantasy authors do this so often, create very fantastical elements and then shove them back into the past in ages long gone or in inaccessible faraway lands. If your shitty story isn't gonna be fantastical I'd rather read historical fiction then, God knows I'm not reading for your horrible fucking prose you old fat fuck.
>>
>>23824533
???? Westeros has way more magic than anywhere else. Children of the Forest were native to the continent, plus you have the Others up north.
>>
>>23824542
The children of the forest are thought to be extinct and the Others haven't been seen for thousands of years. Again, people from Westeros, specially outside of the North, think these beings are children tales. When Mormont or Yoren (I forgot which) goes to King's landing to ask for help the reaction he gets is basically "heh these northerners are such superstitious people".
>>
>>23824542
That's not true. Valyria had way more magic at its peak, as did many others places. Though, whoever used the magic that affected the entire planet has truly the most powerful.
>>
>>23824552
nta
It's for the same reason that Europe is the default setting for epic fantasy rather than North America.
>>
>>23824533
le westoids le bad and not magic
>>
>>23824533
IRL you have different traditions in different regions of the world. Shamans here, runes there, etc. Maybe Westeros and the faith of the seven don't have strong mystic/occult/esoteric traditions.
>>
This was a great debut, can really recommend it. Pretty fast read too at about 400 pages.
>year is 2050
>climate crisis is getting out of hand, a couple years earlier a massive heatwave killed millions including MCs wife
>upcoming election for world dictator to handle the crisis, final candidates are an ex-US president and an AI
>we follow a journalist who gets some leaks from an anonymous informant and starts uncovering shady shit about all this
There's a bit of a detective bend to the story too which I really liked. Pretty short read and well-realized scifi about a not too far off future.
>>
>>23824693
>climate crisis
Shit woke propaganda
>>
>>23824699
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>23824693
>AI president
If this ever happens I'm gonna kms
>>
>>23824693
Is the ex president a not Trump dictator?
>>
>>23824706
The AI in the book is governor of some floating city states where all the rich people have evacuated to (where most of the book is also located)

>>23824729
Thankfully no
>>
>>23824705
NTA but the term "climate change" is a meme intended to be ambiguous enough to entice midwits to its cause. It does not differentiate between natural and man-made climate change, nor does it distinguish between detrimental and beneficial forms. Because of this, it serves as a perfect tool for sowing division, as virtually no one arguing with one another is even discussing the same issues. To make matters worse, they often lack sufficient knowledge about the four categories to disprove or convince each other.
>>
>>23824705
neck y(You)rself
>>
>>23824736
Name one beneficial form.
>>
File: file.png (1.81 MB, 1200x935)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB PNG
Anything set in pre-colonial Africa relating to colonialism or post colonial Africa? Preferably centered around mercenaries or soldiers or warriors.
>>
>>23824759
I'm assuming you mean man-made, in which case there are things like coastal restoration, the introduction of certain species to bring balance to a disharmonious food chain, planting trees, carbon sequestration, regenerative agriculture, cloud seeding for crops, and more.
>>
>>23824782
>>23824759
also re-greenification of the sahara
>>
>>23824782
>>23824790
That seems mostly like ecology to me.
>>
>>23824759
The great oxidation event which enabled and eventually led to mouthbreathers like you to exist on this very earth and post retarded shit online like you just did
>>
>>23824810
Name one beneficial form that has yet to occur. Having to go back billions of years isn't relevant to anyone. You may as say, isn't it great that the universe exists?
>>
>>23824817
the rise of the ocean levels and thus sinking of california and kike coastal properties
>>
>>23824820
For whom is that beneficial?
>>
Recommend me some truly imaginative fantasy. I'm terribly tired of kingdoms, nobles vs peasants, and royal house politics
>>
>>23824801
Not all of them are, but either way, climate and ecology have a direct and reciprocal effect on one another (i.e., by benefiting ecology, you benefit the climate). All denying my examples shows is that you're a brainwashed twat.
>>
>>23824828
Piranesi
>>
>>23824827
everyone other than them
>>
>>23824838
Unlikely since it would cause a vast number of refugees into the adjacent states who already complain a lot about Californians coming to their state.
>>
>>23824739
Why do i feel you are underage b& that thinks they are cool saying shit online that they can't say in public?
>>
Can some anons give me recs if my fav has been 3 body problem? I loved the scale of the science stuff going on there, and the way it introduced novel science fiction stuff I hadn’t seen before, like the sophon.

Any other recs for high iq sci fi like this
>>
>>23824867
Greg Egan
>>
>>23824860
What purpose is there for anonymity other than to express that which can't otherwise be without severe consequence?
>>
>>23824860
lol
lmao
i don't live in a cucked place so my opinion on commiefornia is the norm here
>>
>>23824896
Your image, fagget. It reads like an underage b& wrote it thinking they sounded cool.
>>
File: sffg Recs Dec 2020.jpg (3.13 MB, 2500x4272)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
>>
>>23824964
I just put The Shadow Torturer on my Audible wishlist earlier today! :)

I'm currently a bit more than halfway through the Taltos series, but am looking forward to some new stuff.
>>
>>23824964
Needs more Wolfgang Hohlbein in great.
>>
>>23824964
>kings of the wyld
>shit
I knew it.
Been eyeballing this novel for a while because of goodreads 'positive' review and interesting 'reunion' premise, but suspecting the 'humor' side of this novel myself, that I thought would be nothing but a marvel quips and reddit type of lulzxd.
>>
>>23824964
Puked in my mouth
>>
>>23825070
/sffg/ gave it a lot of 2 stars, and even a few 1 stars, so you must've overlooked those.
>>
>>23820218
Acquired Colours in the Steel, scrolled to halfway through, here's what I got, trust your own judgment.

>Held pending an immediate inquiry, the Prefect had said. Loredan hoped it wouldn’t be too immediate. A week or two here in the quiet and the dark would do him the world of good, let him get rid of the horrors before he had to go out and explain himself to people. Right now, a stone bed in a cell under the council chamber was infinitely preferable to getting yelled at in the chapter house; he could easily imagine the panic inside and the hysteria outside, the mobs baying for someone’s blood, rioting down at the docks as people fought for berths on outgoing ships, a wonderful pretext for another night of looting and breaking down the doors of unpopular neighbours.

>As to what happened after that, he couldn’t really summon up the energy to worry about it. Maybe he’d be put to death, here in his cell or in some quiet guardroom on the wall. That kind of death he could accept; somehow it wasn’t nearly as depressing as the thought of dying in the courtroom had been, when he’d been facing the prospect of fighting Alvise for the greater glory of the charcoal people. That would have made very little sense, his last dying thought would have been, Gods, how stupid. This way? Well, fair enough, in context. He owed a death to the people of the plains. This way he’d been able to get four-fifths of the army home and still pay off his debt to the enemy.

>Someone walked past in the corridor outside; heavy boots, a jangle of metal, keys probably. Were there other prisoners down here, or was he the only one? Other enemies of the state, out of sight and mind? He wondered what they’d done. You had to be pretty fair-average wicked to end up in the cells; mere piracy, rape or murder weren’t enough to get you free board and lodging in this town.

>Fancy there being no Emperor, he said to himself, still not quite able to believe what he’d heard. The Prefect had been very matter-of-fact about it, as if he’d been talking about the tooth fairy or the headache elves, things you grew out of believing in when you turned seven. According to the Prefect, there hadn’t been an Emperor for the whole of Loredan’s lifetime - but didn’t we always pick flowers for his garland on his birthday when we were kids? What did they do with all those hundreds of flowery garlands that got handed in with such ceremony at the upper-city gate each year? Disturbing, somehow, to think of all that love going to waste, like water draining into sand.

(1/2)
>>
>>23820218
>>23825168
>When Callelogus IV died with no heirs and the succession stood to be disputed between three distant cousins, foreign princes who couldn’t speak the language and whose table manners alone would have rendered them entirely unacceptable to the city, it occurred to the City Prefect and his cronies that if the people weren’t told the Emperor was dead, then nobody would know, and what they didn’t know wouldn’t hurt them. Since then, the upper city had been empty except for a few caretakers and some officials who had offices there; Callelogus had lived to be ninety-six, and on his death the diadem passed to an entirely made-up nephew, the son of a wholly fictitious sister who’d supposedly been married off to an unknown princeling in a far-distant land just long enough ago that nobody could be expected to remember it happening. Meanwhile, the government of the city stayed in the hands of the people whose trade was governing cities, quietly and piecemeal; secretaries of state, officials, middle-city men who knew how to repair roads and negotiate trade agreements. The more Loredan thought about it, the more he favoured it as a system of government. They had, after all, done a good job.
>>
>>23824693
might check this out after I finish reading Emphyrio
>>
Rec me books that take place in glass spheres or country-sized terrariums. Like someone heard the idea of "celestial spheres" without any context.
>>
>>23825211
pratchet
>>
What are Conan books are actually like? I assume its nothing like Ahnuld movies. Are they worth reading for a bakkerchad?
>>
>>23823180
Does the last trilogy have a lot of feminist BS in it? I only have the first trilogy and 3 stand alones
>>
I'm tempted to buy the 1st Dune book, but I hear that the author had died before finishing up his series.
How does his son's books wrap up the story? And (in your opinion) is the book series worth going into, regardless of its conclusion?
>>
>>23825251
You can only read the the first book of you want. There's nothing wrong with that. Relatively few continue past the first book.
>>
>>23825251
>How does his son's books wrap up the story
The son's/his friend's collab books are looked upon as abysmal cash grab fanfiction.
>>
>>23823489
>>23824159

Jerry Pournelle (and I guess Larry Niven to an extent?)

maybe Eric Frank Russell and Gordon R. Dickson.
>>
>>23825105
I'm not part of /sffg/ goodreads group so I didn't know about it. But yeah, I know something was off when normies are giving positive review of a book and praising the humor out of everything.
>>
>>23825232
They read kinda like if Just William got an english degree and a little autism.
Maybe quite a bit of autism.

Just finished The Name Of The World. What did I think of it?
>>
>>23825401
*name of the WIND
FARTS
>>
>>23825251
Read up to the fourth book of you really enjoy it. Heretics and Chapterhouse aren't bad but they lead up to something that will never be.
>>
>>23824964
>Tigana
>Shit
What retard made this list?
>>
>>23822173
Now in book 3 he's assembling a coalition of lesser races to stand up to the white man
>>
What are the differences between low fantasy, high fantasy, and ebin fantasy and what do I like the most?
>>
File: 1723419125326190.jpg (14 KB, 200x304)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>23824828
You gonna go scifi for that.
>>
>>23825447
Same.

Pretty much none of this chart pans, to me, though I’ve read most of the listed.

I guess I should just be glad someone tried at all. I do always like more titles, even if they seem slotted unintuitively as possible.

>>23825251
I love everything written by Herbert, really, everything. But as anon says, don’t go for his kid’s work. Frank’s Dune series is singular enough that I’d marathon it regardless of its end-state, though each volume comes to a satisfactory close within itself. The spans of time and generations covered are large enough that it’s really not as bothersome as it might be in most other series that the original author’s contributions leave it overall open-ended. The real disappointment to me, secretly, was not feeling there was a lack of resolution, but feeling unhappy that there wasn’t more content, any content, written by him, which I dealt with just fine when I discovered the tons of other great titles he’d published.
>>
Lmao in the seventh malazan book a female character gets arrested by the secret police and raped. Then she gets saved and memory wiped by her savior to forget the trauma. Then she gets arrested + raped again. Then saved again. Then memory wiped again. A double memory wipe.
>>
>>23825211
If you don't mind chinkshit, Godsfall Chronicles. Though it's a bit different than traditional chinkshit since it's a post apocalypse setting and there is no cultivation just people with powers and weapons.
>>
File: file.jpg (174 KB, 1600x1066)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>23825661
>listening to steven erikson interview
>someone complains about the colonialism and female genital mutilation in house of chains
>he says opposing traditional cultural practices such as female genital mutilation comes from a colonial mindset
legend
>>
In current year where the entire publishing pipeline is probably as cheap as it will ever get, anyone tried to do private/small-scale collection of short stories? Take short stories you liked, make a publication out of them, print it. As opposed to buying short stories collections where you like only few short stories out of many in the book.
>>
>>23825685
For your own personal private use? What's the point?
>>
>>23825705
Bragging in shelves threads, and sharing.
>"You seem to have similar tastes to mine. Instead of buying 10 various short story collections and wasting time discovering you don't like most of the stories in them, have this one which I curated. You will probably like most of them."
something like this
>>
>>23825070
i read it it's very fun slop but nothing special. also the only humor i can recall is a homosexual wizard (who happens to have a deadly incurable disease) acting like a kid all the time.
>>
>>23825678
Erikson was an anthropology major. He probably wishes more people tried to call him out on colonialism in his books cause he'd just love to talk about it.
>>
>>23825727
The first is silly (at best) the second is assumedly digital. Why not just have a listing of short fiction that you've enjoyed? Almost no one is going compile their own. I have a spreadsheet with thousands of works of short fiction.
>>
>>23825447
Bakkerfag edited at least. Any chart that has Bakker on it was altered by him at the very least.
>>
>>23825738
>The first is silly (at best)
Yes it is.

>Why not just have a listing of short fiction that you've enjoyed
Okay but someone going off that listing still has to purchase/download the short story collections which published them. That's usually 1 publication per 1 short story. Contrast with getting just one book and being sure you will likely like its contents. No useless research, no wasting time reading collections where you have to wade through lots of shit which does not interest you in hopes of maybe finding some gems in there.

>I have a spreadsheet with thousands of works of short fiction.
So you like to catalogue. That doesn't do much for people who value their time.
>>
File: Dune Reading.png (125 KB, 888x1163)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>23825251
honestly man just read the first book, MAYBE the second if you want to finish up Paul's arc.
>>
>>23822732
>>23822762
it's only good until he ascends
>>
>>23825764
You really are putting a lot into thinking that it would work out that well. That your taste that you think so highly of would work for others or that there would be that much in common. I could do this for you, but would you have any interest in reading? Go ahead and do it yourself and I'll read what you've curated. I really think you expect too much from others though.

To start this off I'll list 10 for now and you can tell me whether you'd have any interest.

Mortimer Gray's History of Death - Brian Stableford
The Many Different Kinds of Love - Geoff Ryman with David Jeffrey
A Slave is a Slave - H. Beam Piper
N-raptured - Justin C. Key
We're So Very Sorry for Your Recent Tragic Loss - Nick Wolven
Pop Squad - Paolo Bacigalupi
Sailing to Byzantium - Robert Silverberg
The Truth of Fact, The Truth of Feelings - Ted Chiang
The Moral Virologist - Greg Egan
RealLife 3.0 - Jean-Marc Ligny
>>
If you had to choose only one short story from Mieville, would you choose Familiar or some other one?
>>
I'm looking to start CAS's Zothique cycle, but it turns out I may be retarded.

Is there an order to the stories? Or do I just go at it? I just read Empire of the Necromancers because it popped up first.
>>
>>23826023
https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?25436
>>
>>23826051
god bless you, anon
>>
>>23826059
You can get most of those in a single collection called Zothique.
>>
>>23825251
Read first and second, they're both great. Second is imo essential reading if you read the first one. Third and fourth are ok but start getting really weird (in both good and bad ways) and unnecessarily long-winded. I got about 200 pages into book 5 before dropping it completely. His writing was so far up his own ass by that book and it was just annoying to read. Maybe it's a shit take and I was just not in the right mood and mindset for it at the time, so if anyone can convince me I might be inclined to give it another try. It irks me not finishing the series.
>>
Knight of Valora anon. I hope you get this message. I'm on chapter 8. Your book is not bad and I'll say it's been fun to read. It has a lot of potential to be great. The story is fine and the main plot is very interesting. Adah is a good character and the comedic relief works well. I also love the foreshadowing. Everything ties together very well.

There are problems though. You need to clarify some sentences. Despite the meme, use some adverbs. It helps with the flow of a sentence and will make your sentences far more punchy.

Also, it's not a fantasy book. It's a mystery book that has fantasy elements. I'm not wrapped up in the world.. You can literally have the characters transported to the modern world and change things to modern day weapons if needed.

I can also see the twist a mile away.

Give it another round of edits or hire a really good editor. Or try to query an agent.
>>
>>23826511
I thing the author have published two other books after knight of valora. I just checked his author profile on amazon and turns out knight of valora was his first book and there's two other that are available in paperback. Maybe his already improve he writing???
>>
>>23825388
>/sffg/ goodreads group
Such a thing exists?
>>
>>23825244
You get both a mary sue and girl boss, the first one is just bland with almost 0 tension behind her chapters since you already know she'll succeed, while the 2nd one is infuriating because she keeps succeeding thanks to other people eating shit for her.
>>
>>23825401
>The Name Of The World
The author ruined it for me, fucking pretentious cunt. Cant see kvothe as anything else but his self insert. This is why i avoid looking up anything about authors, i just dont want to know and go into books biased
>>
>>23824533
>Why does it seem Westeros is the only place without magic?
Pentos? Lys? Astapor? Yunkai? Mereen? THE ENTIRE Dothraki Sea? Summer Isles?

Braavos has the Faceless Men and that's it. Volantis has the Red Priests and that's it. Qarth has thee Undying and that's it. Meawhile the Norf has the Wall and the Weirwood, the Stormlands have Storm's End, the Crownlands have thet he Guild of Alchemists, the Reach has the Citadel and Iron Isles have the Drowned Men. That's without accounting for all the Targ bloodfiredragon shit that only declined incidentally.

The only places with higher density of magic shit on Planetos compared to Westeros is Asshai-by-the-Shadow. As far as anyone not from Westeros is concerned, Westeros is the magical mumbo-jumbo contenent full of weird shit.
>>
>>23826765
>As far as anyone not from Westeros is concerned, Westeros is the magical mumbo-jumbo contenent full of weird shit.
Come to think of it, you can actually empathise with the Maesters and their supression of magic agenda when you consider how much fuckery happened on Westeros to absolutely noone's benefit. Shit was really getting out of hand even before Targs threw fucking dragons into the mix.
>>
>>23826699
That's disappointing. Thanks though, I guess I won't be wasting my time with anything else he writes then.
>>
>>23826789
The first 6 books are pretty good if you havent read them yet. The stand alone feature a bit of girl bossing, but its relatively minor and the characters are enjoyable enough. He was under attack for making shitty female characters while writing the first trilogy by the usual suspects and unfortunately he listen to them.
>>
>>23826693
No such thing exist
>>
>>23826850
Lame, wanted to stalk fellow anons and call them faggots for their bad taste in books
>>
File: 1722761244009961.png (70 KB, 852x126)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>23825949
Okay, if I want to give any fucks, I have to buy/download 10 different books which is huge overkill x10. If I don't like the short story I just spent time/money on something useless.

Now suppose you collected short stories you like into one book.
>heres link to Anons sci-fi short story collection vol. 1. I included short stories based on this theme, which I like, which are also highly rated on both goodreads and /sffg/ poll or highly polarizing and put some tags and short description for each one.

Get my point?
>pic unrelated
>>
the desire to write my own slop is becoming overwhelming
>>
>>23826941
Go do it, make sure you have a girlboss mc and plenty of thirst traps, i hear thats all the rage these days.
>>
File: 1705716405072325.jpg (64 KB, 768x1024)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>23825168
seems okay i guess
>>
>>23826907
No, I don't get your point because short stories you're going from talking individuals to groups. Anything in aggregate in going to be less successful for an individual than something with similar taste on an individual level. Also short stories aren't usually listed on Goodreads.

Just do what you're talking about yourself or stop complaining.
>>
>>23827106
>short stories aren't usually listed on Goodreads.
Source: my TWP
>>
>>23822582
Don't read this. It's terrible. And not even because of the lesbianism, which is minimal.
>>
>>23826693
It's been in the /sffg/ OP for almost 5 years.
>>
>>23825070
He also put dune in shit tier. Kings of the wyld was enjoyable. A middle aged adventurer dad comes out of retirement, gets the gang back together, and goes and rescues his daughter.
Just don't read the second book. It's terrible
>>
>>23826702
I kinda figured that was the case, as the descriptive writing seemed to take some sort of downturn at the university part. Everything before had been very vivid, taking time to place you in a scene. But afterwards it was as if the author was too comfortable with what he was writing about, if that makes sense?

I've heard the second book is even better than the first, but as its unfinished idk if I want to invest
>>
>>23827203
Even though the author annoys the shit out of me i still think they're entertaining enough that it deserve to be read at least one time, although there are some very bizarre parts in the 2nd book. At some point, kvothe goes to girlboss the country, but its so absurd and retarded, especially the female characters there, that im not sure if its supposed to a satire.
The unfinished part really hurts, it feels like we're only halfway through the story by the end of the 2nd book and i highly doubt he will ever finish the series. The way he left it, i dont think its possible to fit the ending in only one book.
>>
>>23825661
That doesn't sound right. This is in letheras right. I remember a woman gets raped but the guy who saves her refuses to wipe her memory as she would always know something was wrong but never why.
instead he messed with her mind to essentially fast track her rape recovery
>>
>>23827364
NTA, but what you're referring to happens in Midnight Tides just as you described it. Can't comment on what the original anon said since I haven't read past MT yet.
>>
>>23827161
>Kings of the wyld was enjoyable.
Nah you cant sell me on this anymore. Bunch of 'mass audience' praising a media because of its 'humor' doesn't sound right to me. If its plot or theme or even moral (see, I can go this much lower only for this), then I can still put them in my consideration, but humor being the first thing that people liked about thing is a big red flag. I mean even bunch of people said that sanderson is enjoyable, not trying to line you up with them but sorry anon, going to spend my $20 on anudda fantasy novel instead.
>>
File: 1623375539298.gif (1.26 MB, 320x213)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB GIF
>>23821586
>Cradle and Dungeon Cuck Carl.
>the future of fantasy
That's fucking grim
>>
>>23827479
If I knew you were planning on buying it I wouldn't have recommended it. I liked it, but it's not worth $20 that's for sure.
>>
In the mood for some klingaboo trekslop
Any recs?
>>
>>23827487
/sffg/ loves both these series. They've been compared to dune and LotR here. Better than whatever slops being written now.
>>
>>23827203
>I've heard the second book is even better than the first
nobody says this
>>
>>23822367
>women self fulfillment
only after argument of kings
>>
>>23826551
He's not a bad writer, it's certainly serviceable and there are some sections that are very good. I'll say it lacks consistency? Because the highs are incredibly high (loved the fight in the cave and the rape) and the lows are low. It's not horribly low, just doesn't reach the same highs. I do like the pacing and the fantasy magic cops.

I do hope he writes a sequel with more buddy cop feels. Adah and Basilica were good together. Then you threw it all away. You fucking bastard.
>>
>>23820186
She’s been working on The Endlords pretty steadily for the past year and a half.
>>
File: HoME covers smoll.png (830 KB, 1225x534)
830 KB
830 KB PNG
I have a 5-euro birthday coupon that I can spend, and I'm think about getting some of Tolkien's the History of Middle-Earth books.
However, I can only afford 2 at the moment. Which ones should I pick? (btw the coupon ends in an hour-and half, so I'd like your opinions if you please).
>>
>>23828770
(cont.) I'll be honest: I'd previously posted >>23825251 And after many helpful replies, I had thought about getting Dune & Dune Messiah as an alternative.
One option is of a world that I'm aware of and like, and whose books dissect and serve to analyse the evolution of the world; the other option introduces me to a different setting which I'm literary unaware (only knowing of it through the films).
>>
>>23828811
>>23828770
buy yourself a big box of haribos and download the books to your ereader 4 free
>>
>>23828815
>haribos
I wish but I can't; they're bad for the teeth.
>ereader
Don't have one.
>>
>>23828816
You can literally download a Nook/Kindle app onto your phone for free anon.

Either that or Readera to pirate eBooks.
>>
Why do you think Rings of Power was popular in Japan but Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon weren't? Is it because Tolkien's Middle-Earth is more appealing to them?
>>
>>23828912
Is that actually Rings of Power or Lord of the Rings in general/the Peter Jackson trilogy?
>>
>>23828912
>Is it because Tolkien's Middle-Earth is more appealing to them?
It is. Filled with epic deeds, descriptions of beautiful landscapes, cities and characters.
>>
>>23828245
The numbers do. But the numbers probably lie.

>>23827927
I just tried Unsouled and the writing makes J K Rowling look like the bard. He goes through an entire scene in "the valley" and only mentions at the conclusion that it was supposed to happen in a town hall. And that's not a clever subversion of establishing prose, because it adds nothing (save for immersive whiplash).

I blow my nose and produce better lines. This is like one single step above JACK IS A BOY > JACK HAS A DOG > THE DOG IS A GOOD BOY learner shit. Holy fuck. Makes me think I should slap an Ai generated, Cynzel Bold titled cover on my rpg journal and make bank. Or not, because marketing strat is clearly the only thing this has going for it. It's certainly not the contents, which is getting outstripped by the fucking wikipedia synopsis.
>>
>>23822995
Yes, anon. That's why I called him racist. Because of his preferences, and nothing else he said. Preferences are racist now. That's the takeaway you should repeat to others in conversation, when you tell the story about how sensitive people are now.
>>
>>23824693
>climate crisis is getting out of hand
it's getting out of hand for real now bro! I know we said 2013, then by 2022, and then by 2030 but for real please bro believe me 2050! It's so over bro you got to believe me bro
>>
>>23827927
>/sffg/ loves both.
Your opinion is not everyone's and certainly not mine. Both are shit that are the equivalent of literary white noise. I can think of at least five webnovels with better plot and prose off the top of my head, and that is just websopa.
>>
Gibe me the most based post-2020 non-woke sci-fi
>>
>>23820784
compressing written text into a few numbers is too lossy. you can write shit or a masterpiece with any style because what matters is substance not style
>>
anons, have you tried rereading the books from your childhood? i did and honestly they hold up pretty well. not great but childrens books can be surprisingly soulful

>>23822387
>Necroepilogos
this is so bad. i dont get what people like about it

>>23824964
>name of wind, mistborn, dune all in shit tier
based. i couldnt finish the first 100 pages of any of them because theyre so bad
>>
Kings of the wyld has an unironic fucking the cake is a lie joke. I am not kidding.
>>
>>23826078
I dl'd a big collection of stories from AA, appreciate it
>>
>>23824964
Black Sun Rising that bad?
>>
>>23824964
No serious disagreements, good chart
>>
>>23825991

Dowager of Bees gets my vote for peak comfy Mieville

Säcken, though unpleasant, is unforgettable and probably deserves a place in short fiction canon alongside Poe and Chiang.
>>
>>23824964
Why is Mistborn bad?
>>
>>23829844
If you can't tell that by reading any single page of it, you likely won't agree with much of that chart anyways
>>
>>23829849
Well, I was planning to read it.
>>
>>23829856
Then read a single page of the sample first
>>
This is hard to put into works, but do you ever feel like modern fantasy lacks a human element? It's like writers are so eager to talk about epic battles and fantastic monsters that they forget to put in mundane elements to make their settings relatable.
>>
>>23829859
Ok, I just read the first page and it was just acknowledgements.
>>
>>23829860

read sloppa writers, get sloppa stories
>>
>>23829860
Have you read that Hayao Miyazaki quote where he mentions that new directors are bad because they don't interact with other humans? It's like that for almost all media produced in the last decade.
It doesn't help when you consider that most contemporary writers are either chasing money or just copying their favorite works.
>>
>>23829860
Genre fiction has gotten criticism for neglecting the human element in favor of plot, big ideas, cool set pieces, escapist power fantasies, etc. since forever.
>>
>>23829875
>>23829877
How would you go about adding a human element to your stories?
>>
>>23829864
Not them, but I enjoyed it. It was the sort that I just thought was alright the first time around, but I found myself rereading a number of times afterward, and each reread was strangely but definitely a lot more enjoyable than the last.
It’s a page turner, and if you aren’t one who feels they have to meticulously ration your reading intake, and reads great volumes for pleasure, go ahead and try it.
Certain scenes in the later books are very satisfying, by the way: I loved bits about the lead and her hound.
If you’re one of those inexplicable anons who became angered on reading Rothfuss, Sanderson, etc. then you wouldn’t like it.
But if you’ve read Sanderson before and liked what you read, go for it for sure.
If you’re entirely new to it, and feel like a page turner and a fun light read, go ahead and give it a try.
>>
File: 61242426.jpg (314 KB, 1613x2475)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
>>23829860
>but do you ever feel like modern fantasy lacks a human element?
I would say it has too much "human element" so it comes across as entirely fake and pandering. It's at the basis of so-called comfy fantasy nonsense.
>>
File: 1700934196739419.jpg (26 KB, 200x302)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Is this good?
>>
>>23829877
Maybe for SF, but not really fantasy which was always all over the place.
>>
>>23829879
Not a writer or anon that you replied to, but I would imagine it like
Make them as a flawed human being, play around with their moral and egoism, dont make them too good or too bad like this are not a classical novel, every fantasy is a pendulum swinging from modernism to post modernism.
Do anything in contrast of how those foid author did with their character (a perfect self insert vessel for everyone) or to make it short dont make your character forget to breathing
>>
File: 1724569037272977.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
The fuck was that cucked ending? 1400 chapters out of which you spend 300 talking about how much soli klein has to pay for bread and then you rush through the part where the story really picks up? Is cuttlefish retarded?

I should've never listened to the fag that kept shilling this book. CoI is some dogshit side story as well.
>>
>>23819962
Superluminary in a sense
>>
>>23824964
what was this made in?
>>
Are goodreads recommendations any good? If yes, do they get better if you leave written reviews or do you just have to star rate things?
>>
>>23829860
>It's like writers are so eager to talk about epic battles and fantastic monsters that they forget to put in mundane elements to make their settings relatable.
I feel it's the opposite. Modern authors are too caught up in angst, trauma, and romance that they forget the element of wonder that makes fantasy fantasy.
>>
>>23830213
Their recommendtion comes from your activity (read, currently read, want to read). I never rate things in goodreads let alone leaving a review (dont even have friends in there), pvrely using that site for logging my read list. Its unreliable most of the time that's why you need to ask this place first whenever there's a goodreads recs that are 'interesting' and currently passing in your timeline, for example in last thread I asked about shadow of the gods in here
>>
File: 20240921_111521.jpg (3.05 MB, 2960x2353)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
Picked all of these up from a guy at a yardsale today for about 9 bucks. How's the haul?
>>
>>23830243
The hand drawn cover one looks cool, always loved the aesthetic of old fantasy novel back then, 90s isnt it? tell us about it
>>
File: Holy Diver.jpg (1.42 MB, 2501x1250)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>23830281
People actually used to paint covers, which is why movie posters, book covers, and album covers were so good back then.
Famously, the poster for John Carpenter's The Thing was painted in a single all-nighter after the artist was brought on board with 12 hours notice and given an incredibly bare bones plot summary. It was delivered to the studio while the paint was still wet.
>>
>>23830231
Thanks. I just discovered apparently there's no way to rate individual short stories? The fuck is that site...
>>
>>23830569
>I just discovered apparently there's no way to rate individual short stories?
You might need to search for the story separately. If it's been published on it's own, then it might be available for rating. But if it's only inside of a collection, then you might be out of luck. Sometimes Goodreads will have both the collection and the individual story listed, so just do the search.
>>
I see there's no rentry, nor wiki link in OP. Are these gay or just noone bothered enough to create one?
>>
Is this worth reading? I haven't seen it brought up before
>>
Which should I read on my long ass flight?
>>
>>23830619
where are you going
>>
>>23830621
San Francisco to hike the redwoods
>>
>>23830586
The former is just a paste site for links and the latter exists, for /lit/ overall anyway. What did you have in mind that they would include?
>>
>>23830619
ACOTAR obviously
>>
>>23830644
/lit/ wiki (at least the one in sticky) is gone.

I'm going through the mega folder linked in OP and judging it by "I want to find things to read" some charts are pretty good, but then also most of them are not or are straight out recommending you not to read things which are good.

I have been thinking about making a rentry where, among other things, is a selection of short stories with expandable excerpts. I'm not sure yet how would the short stories would be selected but I think having a list where you can see genre, tags, short description and read the first 15k or so characters of that story right there is better than flowcharts and book covers in the traditional infographic format.
>>
Is The Wheel Of Time worth reading?
>>
>>23830753
Depends on what you like, but I'd say the first is worth a go at least.
>>
>>23830619
>botns
>unread
Embarrassing
>>
What's does /sffg/ think about Sterling's Spook? I see people on goodreads at Crystal Express page reviewing it pretty low but I think it's great.
>>
>>23830718
The problem is that this thread is split evenly between subhuman autists who think every scrap of trash that calls itself fantasy is worth reading (the "people" who pop out like fucking worms whenever Sanderson is mentioned to say "well I thought it was okay!") and high-standards autists who think that there are maybe five SFF series total worth reading over other books (who pop out like worms whenever Wolfe is mentioned.) Actually I think the latter outnumbers the former but the former never leaves the thread. Anyways curating a wiki by yourself will lead to autists on the other side taking it out of the OP and a community effort will be an inconsistent shitshow. Plus the thread's slow, if someone wants discussion about what to read they can just ask.
>>
>>23830851
Suppose you (think you) are part of one of these groups and want input on what to read next but only from members of your group. How would one go about this (in context of this thread, and/or in context of goodreads)?
>>
>>23830892
nta, but
>0 standards sanderson fan
Go to goodreads, find someone who gave whatever his latest book is a 5 star review of at least a few paragraphs, and read anything else they enjoyed.
>elitist wolfe fan
Learn the typing patterns of the former group, and ignore them accordingly when posting in this thread.
>>
>>23830851
cosmere readers aren't as bad as litrpg readers and there are many of those in this thread
>>
>>23830753
I read it as a teen, and enjoyed the first 3 or 4 books. It becomes a slog that blends together in my memory after that, and I can't rightly place events by book. I never bothered to read the Sanderson 'conclusion' books, as I didn't consider it a legitimate continuation of the work (his wife chose Sanderson on behalf of the estate). Many seemed to be fine with it, though. I think most people with a developed palate for SFF probably shouldn't bother with it, I remember it being very tropey and YA.
>>
File: FwnghmL.png (556 KB, 780x770)
556 KB
556 KB PNG
Just finished reading Prince of Nothing and this Kellhus guy is so bizarre.
He is like a fan made character inserted into an existing setting. Why would Bakker ruin his own universe like this?

pic very related
>>
>>23830955
Bakker himself is coldsteel the edgehog adapted to authordom
>>
>>23830753
It's good most of the time.
Don't read it if you want competent villains though. The Aes Sedai, which are supposed to be one of the good guys, have done more harm towards the "saving the world" quest than the actual villains.
>>
>>23830718
Here's a copy of the wiki. Learn how to search Warosu, the archive.
https://lit.trainroll.xyz/wiki/Main_Page

Do you know about ISFDB? They have listings of genre, tags, and sometimes short descriptions. Why not contribute to something that already exists? I don't think your idea is able to do much in text document form. It'd need at least to be at least a spreadsheet. 15k characters is about 3,000 words, which is basically the length of a short story. That's too much. Also, you'd most likely be doing all of this yourself.
>>
>>23830851
You're entirely wrong. That's what happens when your conclusions rely on your feelings rather than evidence or even common sense. It's not evenly split between the two. How could it be? Elitists are definitionally a minority unless you specifically select for them and maintain a high level of gatekeeping.
>>
>>23830213
Not usually for the average anon here. That's why you look for a /sffg/ anon here with similar taste and hope that works out better.
>>
>>23830961
J.G. Keely is colder, and steeler.
>>
>>23830243
Nice haul!
Keep: All Alastair Reynold, Dragonlance chronicles 1-3, Dragonlance Twins 1-3
Maybe: Rama II
Iunno: Kerr
Dump the rest of Dragonlance, donate to charity or smth.
>>
>>23828605
Has there even been an author that returned after 10+ years of not writing and released a good book? I honestly doubt she'll release it, and if she does, im not sure how good it will be. Hopefully not sword from red ice bad
>>
>>23831381
J.R.R. Tolkien
First Novel, 1937: The Hobbit
Second Novel, 1954: The Lord of the Rings
That's 17 years.
>>
>>23831381
I hope you'll forgive me for what seems like a rude gotcha, but Dostoevsky (due to his imprisonment)
>(1847) The Landlady (novella)
>(1849) Netochka Nezvanova (unfinished)
>(1859) Uncle's Dream (novella)
>>
>>23830601

Anne McAffrey is strictly YA reading but her work is creative and well executed, if gynocentric. The Pern series is neither her best nor her worst. I haven't revisited it since I was a kid, it may not have aged well... but they are mostly light novellas that you can blast through in an afternoon so may as well give em a try. If you find it clicks with you, tower & hive series is better and the crystal singer books are okay.
>>
>>23829922
Not Sci Fi and it burns its best ideas really fast then it becomes subtantially repetitve. Read the whole starting monologue, it is pretty good, also watch the Cronenberg film, the film is very interested in the erotic side of the story and is way less concerned about all the psyco-social themes that Ballard contemplates, still a good movie nonetheless.

Hey I´m a cheap fuck, anybody here could be so kind to tell me where I can pick up the 2nd book of the Southern Trilogy for free? I could read the translation to my native language but it most likely ass. Btw what is your opinion about this series?
>>
>>23831632
Your local library
>>
>>23831632
>Southern Reach
I don't see the appeal. First was fine (the movie was "pretty" and gory) ; second was interesting to say the least, but felt like a boring episode of X-Files ; I own the third but haven't read it yet. It's the only Vandermeer I've read and I'm not sure if I'd read any of his other books.
>>
Vorkosigansister...a fan I spoke to maybe over a week ago...I am hoping it gets better? I'm almost done with Shards of Honor now. I certainly don't hate it but Bujold's writing is a bit odd, silly, campy, dated so far. She's setting up Cordelia and Aral pretty well so far, I'll say that, and I am curious to see more of their worlds and how they operate differently.
>>
>>23828912
The obvious reply would be distribution. Amazon is more global than HBO obviously, and their show is drastically more easily accessible.
>>
Book of the new sun arrived and it's 1st person pov. FML.
Which other sci-fi 'greats' next up after dune and Hyperion?
>>
>>23831850
Neuromancer
>>
Just finished reading the second volume of Captain Future at my media library - the first six were published in France back in 2017. I need to look for other space operas as pulpy and straightforward but also good, cos it seems the vivid imagery is the best thing you'll get from this series. I'll have to check Starwolf from the same author.
>>
hello sffg can i get some recs for 'deadly maze' sci fi books? i think its a genre unto itself, i have read a few of these but i end up forgetting and I want some new stuff. i remember reading
>diamond dogs by alistair reynolds
>rogue moon by algus something (it sucked)
>piranesi by susanna clark (not really 'deadly' much more mellow and mysterious, very unsatisfaying ending)

please recommend more. doesnt necessarily have to be scifi, could be fantasy too. just want deadly maze shenanigans that have a real sense of mystery
>>
>>23831850
>reading dune as a standalone
>reading hyperion at all
>believing that /sffg/ recs

lol
>>
>>23832019
Maze of Death - Philip K. Dick
Crimson Labyrinth - Yusuke Kishi
Maze Runner - James Dashner
>>
>>23832108
thank you
>>
>>23831850
Give it a chance, Gene Wolf is an amazing writer, and BotNS has a lot of depth. Don't let the first person meme turn you off.
>>
>>23832019
House of Leaves
>>
>>23832019
Walking to Aldebaran
>>
>>23831850
Read BoTNS anon, its worth it. The first person narrative is needed for the book to work in the way it does. I have a rec that is much more mainstream, and a good rec for halloween because its spooky: Blindsight by Peter Watts

but like that other anon said, read through BoTNS. Take your time, its not something you speedrun. And if you're confused about what's going on its supposed to be like that, keep reading.
>>
>>23832432
>>23832234
Not that guy, I've been reading shadow of the torturer and I'm about halfway through. So far the story mostly feels like it's about Severian meeting women randomly and they like him immediately and then they separate for one reason or another and then he meets another woman but occasionally they don't separate before he meets the next woman. Is the rest of the BoTNS like this? Because it's getting a little annoying, I think there's been like 4 of these women at this point.
>>
>>23832715
>Is the rest of the BoTNS like this?
Severian meets several women on his adventures but some are more important than others. There's one in particular who is probably the most important, if you are wondering about that. While you read Severian narrating his own adventures remember that he might be twisting the truth about his behavior and relationships with them.2
>>
>>23831632
>burns its best ideas really fast then it becomes subtantially repetitve.
I remember reading it more than a decade ago and yeah this summarizes it nicely.
>>
What's the best DND/Pathfinder book or series? I read Azure Bonds after someone mentioned it and it started strong, but the back half of the book was awful.

>>23832715
The major named female characters he meets in the series (excluding Urth) are Thecla, Dorcas, Agia, and Jolenta. I guess there's also Valeria but there's not much to be said about her. Once they're all established not many more show up.
>>
>>23822829
How is this book? I read book 1 and it was okay but the synopsis of book 2 did not really interest me enough to buy it.
>>
>>23827364
Nah you're thinking of a character in Midnight Tides who doesn't get their mind wiped with Mockra. In Book 7 Reaper's Gale a character gets raped and mind wiped twice. The character I'm speaking of is Janath
>>
>>23829922
>>23831632
>subtantially repetitve
how funny, the song adaptation is just like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.