[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1697587308418654.jpg (65 KB, 362x392)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Is the use of smut, gore, and foul language a surefire sign the author is a hack?
>>
>>23820749
It's a sign of basedness
>>
Define "Hack," in this context.
>>
>>23820749
It’s extremely dependant on context.
Is the use of reductive arguments and seeking of superficial markers of quality or lack of quality a sure fire sign that OP is a faggot who doesn’t read?
>>
>>23820749
The world we live in is full of smut, gore, and foul language whatever your personal opinion is of those things
>>
>>23820749
It means the book in question is probably intended for manchildren. I'd unironically consider a fairy tale to be more mature.
>>
>>23820749
Depends. If the gore is gratuitous and constant without any weight outside of "wow, isn't this a gross thing to read", then probably.
>>
>>23820749
Yes, it's called Poshlost. A common affliction of unserious writers. See Bataille and Houllebecq for examples
>>
>>23820749
Not necessarily. The use of smut, gore, and foul language can serve various purposes in literature and can be effective tools for storytelling, character development, or thematic exploration. Some authors use these elements to provoke thought, evoke emotions, or create a certain atmosphere.

That said, an overreliance on such elements without depth, nuance, or skillful writing can be a sign of a lack of creativity or substance. It's important to consider the context in which these elements are used and whether they contribute meaningfully to the narrative or if they feel gratuitous. Ultimately, the quality of an author's work is determined by a combination of their intent, execution, and the depth of their storytelling, rather than any specific stylistic choices alone.
>>
>>23820831
Tilted in favor of spectacle over substance.
>>
>>23820867
But Houellebecq uses gore and sex in a disinterested way, I wouldn’t say he’s unserious.
>>
>>23820749
I don’t think it’s a surefire sign but more of a red flag. I won’t discount smut, baselessness, raunchiness, or gore because those things exist and people may have interesting observations about them. But if you insert those elements, I will need something more to sink my teeth into.
>>
>>23820749
This fucking chudette needs to be cancelled!
>>
>>23820867
>both french
heh
>>
>>23820749
Joyce, Zola and Hemingway are not generally considered hacks.
>>
File: downloadr.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>23820749
>>
>>23820890
Smut is more substantive than 99% of philosophical ratholeing
>>
>>23822710
I can see how one who struggles to get laid would view it that way.
>>
>>23820749
The Classics (TM) or pre-60s High Literature (C) may be understood as Censor Literature or literature that passed the filter of state, church, schools... That's the main reason we hardly associate foul language or gore or smut together with literary art, but easily with low-brow pulp.
>>
>>23824079
Then why would I, a modern person raised without an abundance of 'censored' literature, still find it utterly cringe and retarded?
>>
>>23824280
did you fall out of a coconut tree?
>>
File: wthijr.png (416 KB, 443x675)
416 KB
416 KB PNG
>>23820869
>That said, an overreliance on such elements without depth, nuance, or skillful writing can be a sign of a lack of creativity or substance.
Yeah, that reminds me of this piece of shit book that I have read. Complete waste of money
>>
>>23820749
>foul language
maybe
>gore
maybe
>smut
definintely
>>
>>23824342
What is it about smut that separates it from the others?
>>
>>23824363
Women like it
>>
>>23824374
Are you implying having a female audience makes someone a hack?
>>
>>23824389
>Are you implying having a female audience makes someone a hack?
That is also true but no, I'm implying that things that mainly interest women have no substance.
>>
>>23824396
I see how that follows, but how do you square that with the current demographics of the market? If something with substance were to be released today the consumer base would still be comprised of large amount of women.
>>
>>23824423
>If something with substance were to be released today the consumer base would still be comprised of large amount of women.
I don't think that's how that works..
>>
>>23824455
Is it at least not more likely than if there were more men than women in the market? What I'm trying to get at here is that (although I generally agree) I don't think this observation has a sufficient amount of explanatory power to accurately slap the label of 'hack' onto something. It could work in a conversation, sure, but on a debate stage I imagine you'd need something better than that.
>>
>>23824508
Lucky I'm not a debate pervert and just say things how I see em.
>>
>>23824512
You can want to better understand how to defend your perspective without becoming that, but fair enough.
>>
>>23820749
If not juvenile, that probably means the author is just a shit person. That kind of thing in all arts - especially visual - is the simple path. It's typically very easy to create edgy schlock.

>>23820826
t. child
>>
>>23822673
Though it's been decades, he has written a lot of good stuff that is also gory. Not a hack, just very overrated.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.