[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Starter Kit 2.jpg (418 KB, 747x1417)
418 KB
418 KB JPG
What would be some must read non fiction books that span a fair amount of subjects? Something similar to the /lit/ starter kit to get your feet wet. I'm thinking stuff like
>In Cold Blood
>Into Thin Air
>Napoleon: A Biography
>Confessions
>Meditations
What else?
>>
>23820762
>Western
The Republic by Plato
Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
Sayings and Anecdotes by Diogenes the Cynic
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Letters from a Stoic by Seneca
Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard
>Eastern
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
A Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Mushashi
Sun and Steel by Yukio Mishima
>>
>>23820780
This definitely covers the more philosophical aspect. Any history/journalism favorites?
>>
>>23820805
For journalism you could have Defoe, Johnson, Addison & Steele, Carlyle, Hazlitt, Beerbohm, Pater, Orwell, Mailer, Didion, Wolfe, Capote, DFW
>>
>>23820762
From that pic I've only read
>1984 (it was shit)
>Slaughterhouse-Five
>Dorian Gray (it was shit)
>Lolita
As for the topic of the thread, you should check out Anatomy of Melancholy. Nice, meaty prose that covers a wide range of topics.
Gass has some great essays on literature. Temple of Texts, Finding a Form. I want to check out On Being Blue next.
Conversations with Goethe is also something I want to check out soon, heard great things about it.

If you want to dip your feet into "essayistic" literature, as in fiction that almost borders on non-fiction due to the wide range of topics it covers, then definitely check out Moby-Dick, Huysmans and late Mann. I heard that The Man Without Qualities is great too, I'll probably pick it up early next year.
>>
Philosophy:
Republic, Plato.
Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle.
Beyond Good and Evil, Nietzche.

History:
Histories, Herodotus.
Anabasis, Arrian.
Parallel Lives, Plutarch.

Poetry:
Homer.
Metamorphoses, Ovid.

And the Bible, which includes all those topics.
>>
File: IMG_3663.jpg (21 KB, 474x379)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>23820762
I have not read over half of these and feel as though my tastes are too evolved to bother with them at this point.
>>
>>23820762
The only non-fiction you should be reading are STEM manuals. Everything else you might as well be reading fiction, which is unequivocally written better.
>>
>>23820762
just read what interests you, you're not going to like reading as a hobby if you rigidly follow some chart an anon made as a joke
>>
>>23820762
He rapes his sister, Phoebe.
>>
>>23820762
I couldn't finish the Great Gatsby because I felt that it was uninteresting
>>
>>23820902
I found Pater boring.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.