[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fucks.jpg (245 KB, 1086x1600)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe >The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe >Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
>The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
>Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut.

Can I get recommendations based on these books? I'm not in touch with literary discussion or communities and don't know how to find new books to read.
>>
>>23821467
No
>>
>>23821467
Go to Philip K. Dick’s best works:
Ubik
Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
VALIS
The Man in the High Castle (some hate this one, for whatever reason, fair warning, but I loved it)
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
The Game-Players of Titan
Martian Time-Slip
The Simulacra (obscurer work of his that’s a favorite of mine)
The Penultimate Truth (ditto)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Galactic Pot-Healer
A Maze of Death (one of his gloomiest and saddest ones but with a surprisingly touching ending)

If you want to get back to even more retro sci-fi, the old classics:
Olaf Stapledon’s “Starmaker.” His other sci-fi works are supposed to be very good too but I haven’t gotten to them yet.
David Lindsay’s “A Voyage to Arcturus”

And of course based on your recs, you could get into others of Vonnegut’s best works (Slaughterhouse Five, also Cat’s Cradle is my particular favorite).
>>
>>23821467
>midwit
>catch-22

The Castle by Franz Kafka
Old Man and the Sea Ernest Hemingway
>>
Changes, circles spinning..
Can't tell the finish from the beginning
>>
Have you ready Don Quixote yet? The Edith Grossman translation with annotations is great. Incredibly funny.
>>
Go for the 'bow
>>
File: shak.jpg (485 KB, 2000x1330)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
>>23821954
DAMNED 'BOS!
>>
My teacher recommended Catch-22 because he thought it'd "fit my style". I later wrote an essay called "Catch-22 is the most overrated piece of shit book ever" and the essay wasn't even about the book, it was about the civil rights movement. Just a harmless joke but he didn't appreciate it.
>>
Christopher Hitchens said this was one of his favorite books.. I don't know what that means but he was a huge fan and thought it to be genius
>>
>>23822811
I always avoided any political themes because many of my political views were deemed socially unacceptable so I would either pick themes so boring that even a bureaucrat would fall asleep reading them or I would sneak my ideas in by using neutral language and popular platitudes. I aced all my essays and tests so it worked out somehow.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.