[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Have you ever talked to someone who spoke in a literary way? Like, throwing words like "hitherto" and "nowithstanding" in real life?

That would be funny, not gonna lie.
>>
>>23822414
Notwithstanding is not too uncommon actually. 50/50 pretentious.
>>
>>23822414
>Speaking in a literary way
You mean having the vocabulary expected from a high school graduate?
>>
>>23822414
You a flyover/basketball American?
>>
>>23822422
I use it quite frequently
>>
>>23822414
I say "alas" pretty often
>>
>>23822674
I’m sorry Jamal.
>>
I had an internet friend who was a bit of an old soul due to having lived rurally with authoritative, instilling parents. Don't know if he would have used "hitherto," but he typed very intently and considerately and often used vocabulary I had to look up. He disappeared after this Easter and I miss him dearly.
>>
ngl it pisses me off and I would direct that to somewhere else
>>
>>23822744
You can be friends with me if you would like.
>>
>>23822414
I used to get made fun of a lot in my early years for talking like a fancy pants and using words my peers didn't understand. I didn't even read books that much, I just picked up the vocab from autistic adults on the internet I guess. Even a few weeks ago a girl laughed at me for using 'disservice' and I'm 30.
>>
>>23822758
Don't know if I want to make a new friend; I just had a bad experience with another anon I tried building a friendship with for months. Don't mean to make this my blog, but I miss my old-soul friend so much. He was always there for me and would put so much thought into conversations, especially ones about my own problems.
>>
>>23822414
I hear 'notwithstanding' a lot offline but not 'hitherto'.
I'm in Chelsea, London. YMMV in your little redneck/chav haunt.
>>
>>23822414
Wha? Esl here. You guys don't use notwithstanding irl?
>>
>>23822771
>disservice
well she did you a service because this is a kid's word
>>
>>23823126
There are hundreds of millions of native English speakers. There is no "you guys" quite yet, although we're getting there with a universal American monoculture.
>>
>>23822758
>>23823124

Perhaps this is indicative of how bleakly my day is going, but I would like to be friends with either of you.
I live in Camden, so a bit of respite from my chav hovel would be very welcome.

My Session: 052550c91e5291b206a96cc791cc969389e4b27099c01be1cfcafe4ae0a32b2a7e
Just say if you'd prefer to use another platform.
>>
>>23822771
>Even a few weeks ago a girl laughed at me for using 'disservice' and I'm 30.
kek
>>
>>23822414
I don't think so, but I'm an esl. Can you give me more of these literary words?
>>
>>23822788
I feel this anon and I'm sorry. I like to think that I put so much effort and thought into my conversations with friends, but get almost none in return. Even my most learned friends scantly respond to my messages anymore. I think I'm destined to be lonely even with friends that still respond from time to time.
>>
>>23822414
>pic
garbage shoujo fag lol
>>
>>23823739
Discord?
>>
>>23822414
I've seen random stoner twitch streamers who say notwithstanding. It's pretty normal to hear.
>>
>>23824106
im gonna watch it just because of you
ttyl for my verdict if the threads still up
https://anidb.net/anime/6466
>>
I only speak in iambic pentameter.
>>
You mean "someone who can speak like an adult"?
>>
>>23824643
Do adults even exist anymore? Everywhere I go I see 50 year olds having hissy fits and tantrums over the stupidest things.
>>
>>23824601
>I only speak in iambic pentameter
Which anon wrote in tetrametric dactyls
>>
I started talking in that prissy sort of way as a joke or when I was being sarcastic and it kind of stuck.
>>
>>23822414
one of my boys from hs was like this. everyone loved him bc he was genuine and innocent but took it well. he was very good with words and big on journalism. wrote for the school newspaper and led some related clubs. When we graduated he ended up at the best journalism school in the country
>>
>>23823198
Yeah that makes sense. I stopped being the smart kid around high school. Idk why but I developed really fast as a kid but eventually the actual smart people started passing me up.
>>
>>23824673
I write in free verse, buddy.
>>
>>23823739
I'm not really in Chelsea. I just like triggering redneck/chav class insecurity.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.