[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0468.jpg (489 KB, 1485x1791)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
Best translation for this doorstopper? I tried the P&V and that ain't it. Is there anything out there that makes the constant interspersed French not a hassle?
>>
most people who don't like P&V translations like Maude, idk about the French though
>>
learn russian
>>
>>23824551
idi nahui cyka

what good is learning Russian going to do for me if half the fucking book is in French?

>>23824543
I'll check it out anon, arigato
>>
I tried and few and settled on Rosemary Edmonds for precisely the reason you mention, among others. It also reads so much better than P & V in general who are awkward as fuck.

I suspect it's slightly less faithful but in terms of reading a book in the English language it's a hugely better experience.
>>
>>23824535
Maude translation
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (193 KB, 900x1600)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>23824562
Example of the first page. She indicates they're writing or speaking in French with little phrases and by literally saying "written in French" or such and such rather than it all being in French and then you have to go the footnotes to actually read it. This might be against how Tolstoy wrote it, but he presumably wrote it expecting people to be able to understand both the Russian and the French when reading.
The Maudes, while still being much, much more fluid and readable than P&V retain the translations in footnotes thing (at least in my revised edition) which personally I couldn't be bothered with as it really broke up the flow of my reading.
>>
P and V kinda reads weird for War and Peace.
Anna Karenina P and V is mostly fine.
>>
File: ann dunnigan.jpg (230 KB, 1000x674)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>23824535
Ann Dunnigan
>>
>>23824562
I just went through 5 translations of the first page and Emonds was by far the worst imo, it takes a lot of liberties to smooth things over.
>>
>>23824709
OK. Which was the best?
>>
>>23824535
Constance Garnett is the translation all your favorite 19th and 20th century authors read and praised.
>>
>>23824535
Anybody else really enjoy the clunkiness of P&V? I'm listening to foreigners speaking, I wouldn't expect to understand their every implication because I'm not versed in their culture or idioms. Isn't the added challenge of interpreting information from context clues part of the appeal of reading foreign literature?
>>
>>23824535
learn russian
>>
>>23824714
P&V
>>
>>23825350
opinion disregarded
>>
>>23824535
Tolstoy's writing is simple. Penis & Vagina is fine
>>
>>23824543
I did P&V for Anna Karennia and it was really good, so I will do the same for War and Peace
>>
>>23825152
Tolstoy himself praised the Maude translations of his work.
>>
>>23825272
The issue isn't the clunkiness, it's the increased risk of misinterpretation. Letter vs spirit, etc.
>>
>>23824535
Whoever did the Oxford Worlds Classic is the one I prefer
>>
>>23826329
That's Maude.
>>
I bought the Oxford Classics one it has the Maude translation to which Tolstoy hinself preferred
>>
>>23826329
>>
>>23824535
i haven't read other translation but the Vintage translation was SO FUCKING good
anyone says otherwise is a nigger prostitute
>>
>>23824535
It doesn’t take much French to read the french in the book desu
>>
>>23824535
Revised Maude translation.
>>
Garnett
everything else itt is wrong
>>
>>23824535
Just read the Maudes for Tolstoy in English. They’re all easy to find for free, they were friends of Tolstoy and he personally gave their translations his seal of approval. Tolstoy isn’t an author where you need to worry about translations as much. His language is very simple
>>
>>23830907
a convincing argument

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.