[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: gormenghast.jpg (126 KB, 750x1082)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>writes a fantasy series about absolutely nothing happening, told in verbose language
What was Peake's fucking problem?
>>
File: Mervyn-Peake-2.jpg (40 KB, 384x500)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>shows up
>writes kino
>refuses to elaborate
>leaves
>>
>>23825773
>>23825807
Fucking kino
>>
>/lit/ memes me into reading this
>200 pages in and the cook is still going
>teehee I will kill that another cook that sneaky fat cook and his little new boy

what the fuck is this garbage
>>
Plotfags HATE him
>>
>>23825773
it's kino
I guess his main problem was terrible early-onset dementia
>>
I remember wanting to fuck Fuchsia
>>
It's a piece of art for art itself.
>>
another plotfag filtered
>>
>>23825986
>>23826518
>fantasy, a fictional genre known for its usage of plot in order to explore theme, philosophy, political play, etc
>"hahahaha plotfag got filtered because he was expecting a plot in fantasy book!"
>>
File: 1624218514867.png (813 KB, 1248x1444)
813 KB
813 KB PNG
Should I pick it up? From my experience, anything that filters plotfags is kino. How's the style?
>>
>>23826569
You can't be serious...
>>
>>23825773
The third book is not that good sadly.
>>
>>23826572
>How's the style?
very pictorial
>Gormenghast, that is, the main massing of the original stone, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous architectural quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its outer walls. They sprawled over the sloping arch, each one half way over its neighbour until, held back by the castle ramparts, the innermost of these hovels laid hold on the great walls, clamping themselves thereto like limpets to a rock. These dwellings, by ancient law, were granted this chill intimacy with the stronghold that loomed above them. Over their irregular roofs would fall throughout the seasons, the shadows of time-eaten buttresses, of broken and lofty turrets, and, most enormous of all, the shadow of the Tower of Flints. This tower, patched unevenly with black ivy, arose like a mutilated finger from among the fists of knuckled masonry and pointed blasphemously at heaven. At night the owls made of it an echoing throat; by day it stood voiceless and cast its long shadow.
>>
>>23826585
arguably it is not, but you'd get an incomplete picture by limiting yourself to the first two, as I think the point of the third one, after having spent the frist two highlighting how the world and institutions and culture and traditions that surround us imprison us and we should emancipate from them, the third one proves that ultimate those traditions are what shapes us and we end up empty and disoriented without them and with no place in the world
>>
>Scene on the roof that takes hours of walking to get back to the same spot
>The flood & the boats between the towers
>The sisters
>The library fire
>The maid getting smaller and small
>the bizarro 50's setting of the 3rd book
Weird fucking books. Both overrated and underrated

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.