[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

We all know the western canon, but what about the eastern one? Name some gems from eastern countries (bonus points no japan, too well known).
Reading Arabian Nights and hearing their tales of knights who fought against christian armies i wondered if there ever was a tradition, similar to christian chivalry tales, but for arabs. And then i realized, other than arabian nights i knew of no modern nor classic arabic literature. i delved further into this and read that it is apparently haram to write literature according to some interpretations of the Quran, alongside painting people, taking pictures, making sculptures, but poetry was allowed aswell as caligraphy.
Surely some brave artist must have left some work of value, if people during the inquisition managed i bet there's something out there.
>>
>>23859401
St Johns has this reading list for East Asian literature

https://www.sjc.edu/academic-programs/graduate/masters-eastern-classics/reading-lists
>>
>>23859401
>Expecting a rich literary artistic canon comparable to the West’s from a culture that is literally retarded by extreme and far-reaching prohibitions on artistic expression
They excel at calligraphy and non-figurative architectural adornment and that’s about it, anon. Just buy a book with some pictures of those, and you’ve got their “canon.”

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.