[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I studied Latin in college but haven't practiced it for many years.
It's actually something I really enjoy--recently had a dream where I'm saying,
>"I just want sit down, relax and translate some Latin." lol
And I'm not even saying I used to be good at it--It's just something I enjoy--but, yeah, I'm waaay outta practice.
So I thought, "Hey, why not go word-by-word with Wiktionary thru a famous Latin text and see how that goes?"
I'm choosing the Aeneid because there's a ton of translations to compare to as well as some pretty neat online resources, and because it's probably the most famous Latin text there is.
>9896 lines
So if i do ~27 lines a day I'll be done in a year.
Here's day one I guess.
[28 lines later; posted below]
Totally sloppy.
Still figuring out the best formatting/punctuation for translating here, but I'm sure I'll get more standardized over the coming weeks--I'm not trying to make a real-ass, immaculate translation here, just scratchily recording what I'm picking up and some of my thought processes.

Text:
https://www.thelatinlibrary.com/vergil/aen1.shtml

I'm sure this list of translations/resources will grow:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/verbum_hīc#Latin
https://www.theoi.com/Text/VirgilAeneid1.html
https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0054%3Abook%3D1%3Acard%3D12
(^this one kinda sucks)
https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/VirgilAeneidI.php
https://vergil.classics.upenn.edu/vergil/document/1
(^the tools on this are neat)

inb4 I'm blown ex aquam by some Vaticanchad
>>
File: liber i; i–vii.png (99 KB, 1136x434)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>23875583
>Arma virumque canō,

i sing: arms and the man (Aeneas),

>Trōiae quī prīmus ab ōrīs
>Ītaliam, fātō profugus, Lāvīniaque vēnit
>lītora,

who, first from the shores of troy, by exiled-fate, came to the Italia(n)(peninsula) and the beaches of Lāvīnia,

>multum ille et terrīs iactātus et altō
>vī superum saevae memorem Iūnōnis ob īram;

much, he, both by land, was thrown, and by deep (the sea), by the force of those high ones [superum=n./m. pl. gen.] (gods), all because of savage Juno's recalling (unforgetting?) ire;

>multa quoque et bellō passus, dum conderet urbem,

many things--what's more--also were undergone through war, until [dum+subjunctive=until] he fashioned a city,
[et=adverb here(?); if not --> AND many thing--what's more--were...]

>inferretque deōs Latiō, genus unde Latīnum,
>Albānīque patrēs, atque altae moenia Rōmae.

and until he placed the gods to Latium, whence [unde] (came) the Latin race, and the Alba Longa fathers, and also the high walls of Rome.
>>
>>23875583
tu est crassus porcus.
>>
You could post in this thread
>>>/lit/clg

Wouldn't it be easier to translate non-fiction instead of poetry?
>>
>>23875598
>You could post in this thread
>>>>/lit/clg
oh fuck, yeah I will, I didn't even know that existed.
that was a quick thread lol. see you there i guess. and thanks
>Wouldn't it be easier to translate non-fiction instead of poetry?
depends on the author? probably the easiest Latin out there is mideival histories, yeah, but I'm down for a challenge I guess
>>
>>23875583
>ex aquam
*ex aqua
>>
>>23875630
>>ex aquam
>*ex aqua
oh boy, yeah, i'm terrible
>>
>>23875583
Anon this is not how translations work. You read a ton of latin and the translation should come of its own accord. Crawling through wiktionary is what illiterates do.
>>
>>23875630
No it is aquam. It's accusative because he's the nominative, the water is the object in which he's blown out of. He's the subject.

>>23875637
Have some confidence.
>>
>>23876533
ex takes the ablative. You do not know latin. And that's not how the accusative works; do you know anything about transitive and intransitive verbs?
>>
>>23876544
It can't. The ablative would translate to "with", implying a conjunctive use. Yes, I know that there are websites that make your claim but think it through.

And accusative has nothing to do transitive properties, except in languages with locatives. There are some locatives in old Latin but that wouldn't apply here.
>>
>>23875583
How do you keep up interest in Latin? I studied it in university and I am interested in it, but every time I start studying it again, I realise how simple it is (not saying it's easy, just simple, like English) when compared to my mother tongue (Hungarian). Even the most eloquent quotes are nothing compared to a merely mediocre line from my native language. It just lacks the necessary complexity that I'm inherently used to and this makes me get bored of it and lose interest in studying it. I have the same problem with other languages too.
Is the answer to just lean more into reading classics?
>>
>>23876549
You seem to have so much vague textbook knowledge that it's stopping you from actually engaging with the language. Read the original 'ex aquam' again with the full sentence. He's saying HE would be blown out of the water. He's the object, not the subject; I don't know what you've been talking about. It would translate to something like "hic antequam flatus ab aqua sim a quodam Vaticanchad."
>>
>>23876559
Try reading actually dense classics and I'm not sure you'll have the same opinion about Latin. Read Tacitus or just the Aeneid and you'll probably have a good time if you think everything else is easy.
>>
>>23876549
>>23876544
And to add: the saying actually wouldn't make sense in Latin at all. An ablative always mean that something is done with something or because of something. The reason why you were found that is because, going back to when locatives were absorbed by ablatives, 'from' ended up disappearing through the case but people still wanted to translate it the same in order to express a present location. It also was easy to conflate because 'from' in most languages is interchangeable with 'with' when describing the makeup of a material (ablative would describe when something is made of a metal for example). Saying something is made "from" copper sounds the same in English, but the big problem is that it cannot fit sense 'from' would suggest that copper was a location.

>>23876559
Funny. The official language of Hungary until the 19th century was Latin.

>>23876573
I just reread it and just saw that "Vatican had" had blown him out. I skipped half his post honestly. So yes,that would make him the object of Vaticanchads masculine watery whims.

>hic antequam flatus ab aqua sim a quodam Vaticancha

And that's just it- our English phrase doesn't make any sense if you try to translate it directly to Latin. Ab fixes the whole issue.
>>
>>23876583
>Phoneposted

Ffs I'm not fixing this.
>>
>>23876583
Oh shit I didn't even realize that I subtly changed the contention by using 'ab' instead of 'ex' in the trnslation. Fair point hahaha
>>
>>23876588
You did the right thing :)
>>
>>23876573
My problem isn't that they are too easy to read (they aren't). I'm not looking for harder reading material. My issue is that the language used is more simplistic compared to my mother tongue. It does not matter how much vocabulary I learn, because the core of the language, its mechanics, lack the complexity to express myself the same way that I can in my language, due to it having that complexity.
What I mean by this is for example verb cases, word order, word-formation, those sorts of things. Latin is more complex than English, but is not as complex as my mother tongue and because of this, I have trouble properly expressing my thoughts. This causes me to lose interest in Latin (and other foreign languages)
A sort of reading material I'd like is one which plays with the confines of the language's rules, I guess. If something like that exists.

>>23876583
>"The official language of Hungary until the 19th century was Latin."
Correct. It was never spoken by the common people though. There was some elementary education of it, but it was very surface level and instead German was always the most commonly preferred second language. Latin was learned and spoken by the nobility. In fact you could only speak Latin in the parliament house, not Hungarian, not even German.
I've actually been trying to get my hands on parliament debate excerpts from the time in order to study the (potentially) unique qualities of "Hungarian Latin". So far however, I've had no luck finding one that wasn't just a translation into Hungarian or German.
>>
>>23876923
You're most likely not going to express yourself in Latin though. That's a level of skill that most people never achieve, and are content in not achieving. One learns a language for its literature, not for the innate qualities of the language itself (qualities which are narratively imagined by language communities). If you think Latin ipso facto isn't as superior a language as you say your mother tongue is, then it probably isn't for you. If you feel drawn towards reading the classics, then maybe you might have a reason to actually get better at it. As such, there's little to be gained by talking about language qualities on the internet because that says more about the subjective orientation of the speaker than the object to which they are referring.
>>
>>23875630
>>23875637
>>23876533
>>23876544
>>23876549
>>23876572
>>23876583
Ex/e is always with ablative, not accusative, whether the verb is transitive or intransitive or it is the object or subject is irrelevant, you retarded Anglx trannies.
>>23875590
Spbp
OP is a barbarian faggot. Don’t touch Latin, you disgusting pig.
>>
>>23876923
The problem is your being stuck up on the Peruvian anime message board. You can express all the same thoughts in Hungarian or Latin or Ithkuil or Toki Pona. It's just going to take different amounts of time/number of words. Learn another language because you want to speak or read it, not because you want complain about it on the Internet.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.