[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20241014_135913.jpg (78 KB, 736x806)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Im a stem student, 22yo and in 2 year of uni give or take. Most mondays i come down to my local library to sit down and skip classes I can easily pass without a profesor. Im re-reading Cervantes off an old and marked-up as book filled notes from Alberto Blecua(recommended) and all I see around me is young kids with computers and tablets coding in python a shitty calendar and I keep questioning myself, is enjoying this little hobby is worth it or should I give it all up, study computer science down to the bone as I'm supposed to? and as fast as possible aswell to snatch a good job and live a pleasant life. I know I will get there by both paths but man, I really want to feel human in the journey and this is the only way I know. Should I give up and push with the flow or build myself slowly tántalo style?
How does the academic mind work? Is professionalism spaced away from personal interests or for a great mind to be constructed in a niche place in this word one must abandon it's previous self and become the area of study it wants to take doman over?
>>
leave college immediately, cocoon yourself in a room full of books, and only communicate with the outside world with handwritten letters.
>>
Eat shit
>>
zoomer "problems" crack me up
>>
>>23919157
You need to study your major to succeed in it, but it's okay to have other interests. I've known some very successful professors at my university and even they think people should be well-rounded, and having some of the more surprising interests complementing your major don't go unappreciated.
You will have more time for literature once you start working, but if you truly love it, don't neglect reading.
>t. STEM graduate and reader
>>
>>23919162
There was this great author that a friend of mine really liked, who did just that. I don't remember his name I think he was latin american? But basically he just neet'd his entire life, he had a room full of books where he spend his entire life, just reading and occasionally writing. Truly enlightened.
>>
>>23919186
I think there was an American writer who did something similar? He hated democracy and was kind of edgy.
>>
You will get laid and this will all become dust in the wind.
>>
>>23919157
Add me on discord I'll give you some advice
>>
>>23919157
I'm a married stem student. 25 yo, second year and almost done with my bachelor. I'm in chemical engineering and as far as I've seen the only guy who reads classics or actually anything at all apart from sci fi and fantasy, which seems to be the only genre most stem people enjoy.

Right now I'm working a rather pleasant job in environmental engineering next to uni, which shows me how everything can work out at the same time.. There is no need to rush, as I don't consider a high paid / high stress career path to be needed in my life.

Most days consist of reading on the way to work in the subway, spending time with my colleagues there, reading in my home office while running a simulation or on weekends.

Why stress so much? You don't seem to be the type to spend your life pursuing high paying / high stress positions, so why bother. Enjoy your books, enjoy your work, find yourself a nice wife to have or have not babies with and enjoy life
>>
>>23919178
My professor for air pollution control quoted some parts from Seneca. The head of the neurology department did the same, when I talked to him one time. One newspaper in my country, which is frequently read by people with high education has weekly classical book reviews and recommendations. I've seen the divine comedy being discussed there.
>>
>>23919188
yeah and he had an interesting stand on the industrial revolution and it's consequences
>>
>>23919231
No not him lmao, I remember him being Nietzschean. He had a big book of aphorisms, which I owned like 10 years ago.
>>
>>23919242
He also wrote an encyclopedia I think? But I don't remember on what. I just remember his dislike for democracy and his general edginess.
>>
You should’ve asked your question(s) in a straightforward and less insufferable manner.
>>
>>23919259
He's a frog in a well.
>>
>>23919157
You will see where this path will take you
>>
File: check it.gif (105 KB, 112x112)
105 KB
105 KB GIF
op here. i have killed my academic future and back to burggerflippin. Going to /gif rn. Dismiss my previous clueless bantter. never reading again
>>
>>23919188
*Eggy
>>
>>23919157
Computer science is already full of dopes with degrees. It's not worth it, study engineering like a grown up if you want to get a job.
>>
>22yo
>IS iT OvEr??!! XDDDDD
No its not over. But if you dont get your head out of your ass and stop treating everything like its a big fucking joke then you will regret that
>>
File: schucking.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>23919157
>Im a stem student

Once you see the sheer magnitude of functional illiteracy in your peers prose, you will appreciate the power of having at your command sound prosody. You know what's a fucking pain in the dickhole? Trash prose in papers. Efficient, clean - even elegant - technical and scientific writing will give you an advantage in the research and grant writing world. Anagogic thinking is what gives us innovation. Keep at it with reading and appreciating literature-- expand it to other media. Never stop. And remember, picrel. Cultivate your own taste in things.
>>
offtopic. take your depressive whining to /adv/
>>
>>23919157
Do good enough in you're major that you can continue you're studies, it's good to keep that door open. And no anon the best people in their domain studies a great deal outside of their domain, just scroll through wiki pages of people you respect and you'll soon realize they were human with pet projects and a lot of social interaction. Endlessly watching python podcasts and reading and re-rereading the first chapter of "websites with flask" is a one way ticket to script kiddie intern at a fintech startup. True life and mediocrity are mutually exclusive. Here is a great tip if you want to be a superb programmer (or whatever) and keep your humanity in the process. Read a little on the process of learning itself, if you optimize you're learning you are depositing you're time in a higher interest account. In chess grandmasters and club players have played about the same amount of time, but grandmasters spend that time studying other grandmaster games and trying to predict their moves + tactics puzzles. Club players just keep playing against each other. The technique of practice with immediate feedback on your mistakes will have you coding mainframes in C++ during day and discussing Don Quixote with your DPhil girlfriend at night after vigorous love in the dunes of the cape.
>>
>>23919157
Good morning sir
>>
>>23919157
You seem like a smart guy, I'd recommend you curtail reading temporarily and put studies as the first priority. Then once you've given enough effort to get good grades, then you can relax and read. By reading a lot you're getting a leg up on your peers in terms of general knowledge, language skills, and intellectual capabilities, but I strongly recommend going to class (you could even probably quietly do homework in class if you find the lectures too slow or easy).
Not to mention you will run up against classes that are quite difficult, especially in a stem major, so it's good to establish discipline and strategies for studying while your classes are still easy.
>>
>>23919157
>study computer science down to the bone as I'm supposed to?
you're like 10 years too late

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.