[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (611 KB, 540x576)
611 KB
611 KB PNG
Is Big-O considered "so retarded it's good"?
>>
>>22597367
I just finished the second season the other week. I agree with a lot of people that the ending was disappointing. I'm not sure how I would've ended it myself, but I understand why this particular type of ending rubs people the wrong way. It's been done before, and rarely lands well with the audience. The first season set up many interesting plot threads and had good world building. The second season did explain what was going on in Paradigm City, but just not in the way a lot of us were expecting. It kind of felt lazy.
>>
>>22597367
It's genuinely great for the most part, just a funky ending.
>>
>>22597378
Hey buddy, whenever you're ready to discuss the show, we'll be here. Please don't shit up the thread in the meantime.
>>
>>22597378
I'm sure Americans hate you too.
>>
>>22597404
Or maybe people respond to you in a uniform way because your posts are uniformly trite.
>>22597400
True, I found it interesting how it never found a strong audience in Japan
>>
>>22597367
No, just good.
>>
>>22597438
no other nations exist outside of Paradigm City
>>
>>22597367
DOROTHY OWES ME SEX
>>
>>22597455
I read that Cartoon Network footed the bill for the second season, it wasn't the original Japanese production company that produced it. I wonder if the first season was produced with an international audience in mind. That certainly would have been unusual at the time.
>>
>>22597497
>I wonder if the first season was produced with an international audience in mind

That's what the creators said yes. Twin Peaks was a big influence, right down to being forced to answer the mystery in the second season and ending with a big cliffhanger with no intention of resolving it.
>>
>>22597497
Creators wanted the show to be an anthology style adventure series like Ultra Q or Twillight Zone. With Roger being the main character just interacting with weird incidents in a weird city. Both Katayama and Konaka have stated they never had any intention of actually explaining what was going on. Hell even though S2 spends so much time focusing on the mystery of what's going on, it doesn't actually give a concrete answer. The plot revelations are a complete shitpost.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaQKbmywCK4
>>
File: 1479494097915.jpg (1.01 MB, 1284x2896)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>
>>22597462
Shcwarzwald is german and vera along with most of the union were european but then again it doesn't matter since lol truman show.
>>
>>22597367
The first season is pure kino. The second one doesn't exist, that's all
>>
File: GIYe35haYAAcymq.jpg (177 KB, 1200x900)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>22597367
No, big o was actually pretty well written despite what most people say about season 2.
>>
Does anyone know anything about the original 26 episode outline they made during Season 1's production?
>>
>>22597951
He didn't reveal anything in the end.
Good play.
>>
>>22598004
According to an interview with mr. keiichi sato only 13 episodes were written at first since they weren't sure if it was going to do well or not.
>>
>>22598030
Don't cry, stupid fuck
>>
File: 1714033822437.jpg (1.84 MB, 1921x1378)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>22597367
"so bad it's good" is a reddit meme forced by retards to justify liking something that's absolute shit and a cheap way to bait other people into liking said thing that is shit because they don't want to be alone in having shit taste hence why you have people saying that with shows like ditf, cross ange or wing. That does not apply to the big o and you should be ashamed of yourself for making such a shit post to start off a thread.
>>
File: 17_biribiri_BigO_08_1.jpg (287 KB, 716x1142)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
https://exhentai.org/g/1338978/e981dd28d3/
>>
>>22598417
Let people enjoy bad things
>>
>>22598417
It's much older than reddit, but fair enough
>>
>>22598080
But why did Konaka say this then:
>Some time after the start of the script work, the originally envisioned framework of 26 episodes suddenly came to an end after 13 episodes. There were no plans for a sequel. The intention was not to digest everything that had been planned in the 26 episodes in 13 episodes, but rather to provide a conclusion in the form of "the story continues" in 13 episodes and wait for an opportunity to make a sequel. However, in Japan, although we received high praise from those who saw the show, it was not a hit enough for a sequel to be made immediately. Still, I was determined to make a sequel someday. In 2000, THE BIG-O was broadcast on Cartoon Network (a huge CATV network) in the United States. It received an extremely strong response from American animation fans. Thanks again to Michael Toole, whose website, Anime Jump, helped make it a hit. Many American fans expressed their desire to see a sequel on Cartoon Network and Bandai America, and this helped to make THE BIG-O a big hit. This has made it possible for us to produce THE BIG-O episodes 14 and beyond. The current production, from Act 14 to Act 26, is called the "Second Season," and the story begins immediately after Act 13, which was the First Season. When it was decided that the First Season would be 13 episodes, the elements that would form the vertical axis (foreshadowing, etc.) could not be followed in 13 episodes, so we had no choice but to omit some of them. In addition, the fans who had watched up to the 13th episode, both from Japan and the U.S., had the most requests for a proper resolution. We are in the process of creating "THE BIG-O" that we want to create and that we ourselves want to watch.
>The script for the Second Season is being written by Konaka.
>>
>>22597378
Americans love Big O though?
>>
>>22598958
We love having and giving The Big O.
>>
>>22597400
There wasn't any setup, there was never any expectation that the world or its situation would ever be properly explained. It was explained only because the contract demanded an explanation. The mystique was part of what made it so good, and any explanation would only negatively impact the mystique, but the director made a judgment call and decided it was better to have more Big O even if it ruined the mystique. I think he ultimately made the right call because even if the ending isn't anything special, it still delivered a ton of great content that would have never been made otherwise.
>>
>>22597367
Its honestly one of the better /m/ shows out there.

When I was younger I used to not like the second season's ending, but the more I rewatch the show and the older I get the more I respect it. Think about it, Big O was never really about "solving the big mystery", it was about the characters and how they deal with the roles they were given in this stageplay. The setting itself was interesting, sure, but it was interesting because it was mysterious and full of unanswered questions. Having the show end on a climactic, apocalyptic battle that resets the timeline, resets the stage and its actors, except with the characters potentially having new memories from the former cycle so they can do "better" this time, while not explaining all the mysteries away is an infinitely better outcome than rushing to give us an explanation to everything. Way too many shows do that and it ends up just deflating the entire thing. Knowing how it ends doesn't ruin season 1 or 2 of Big O for me.
>>
>>22603769
lol
lmao even
>>
>>22598958
I honestly wonder if it's partly because of the association with Batman kek
>>
>>22597597
I'd kill for a Big O The Return
>>
>>22610695
>muh revival/sequel no one asked for
Fuck off.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.