[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GiantRobo.png (503 KB, 448x688)
503 KB
503 KB PNG
A thread dedicated to this unsung hero.
>>
>>22690068
Should do a Cyborg 009 work next
>>
>>22690068
It's sad, we can praise him as much as we want, and I love his works, but the truth is we will never enjoy Great Hen and the real Siege of Babel
>>
>>22690068
Isn't he hitting his 70s now. That guy is nearing retirement.
>>22690162
To be honest, he never had actual plans for Siege of Babel, I think he even admitted as much, the only arcs he ever thought out fully was Birth of Zangetsu which he decided to tell through Tetsujin characters and that was one of his worst works.
>>
>>22690162
>Great Hen
I am still waiting... I will always be waiting.
>>
It makes me mad that it is all so good, but he did so little throughout his carrier, and a lot of things just fell through.
>>
>>22690430
>he did so little throughout his carrier
Damn what does a man need to do for you bitches to be satisfied?
>>
>>22690430
>It makes me mad that it is all so good, but he did so little throughout his carrier
He did tons. People in the west just pigeonhole him only for his mecha stuff and occasionally Seven of Seven.
>>
>>22690494
He wasn't director on most of those.
>>
>>22690498
He wrote storylines for the individual episodes of other stuff and was a co-writer usually in general.
Nowadays he just does storyboards and writes the story for the occasional episode.
>>
>>22690150
>next
Anon...
>>
>>22690330
He should at least just come out of hiding and just tell his original full storyline.
>>
>>22690517
He never had actual plans for anything else beyond some flow of events for Birth because he realized as production continued on that the budget and were just not there.

Giant Robo works fine as is with one arc. All the background information is just nice trivia to add a sense of scale. All the info about Zangetsu and his true identity is just fun trivia at this point.
>>
>>22690162
While I'd love to see Great Hen, I'm honestly more interested in the original plan for Armageddon than a Giant Robo sequel/prequel
>>
>>22690150
I would like to see another Ishinomori work by him. It would be hard to surpass the 2001 series and Ishinomori has 770 titles to be picked. We don’t need remakes of the exact same thing again and again.
>>
>>22690162
>>22690661
Hey, at least we got Shin Mazinger Zero, which is pretty good.
>>
Did anyone else see Virgin Fleet?
>>
I would absolutely adore even a napkin with some of Shin Great's plotpoints
>>
>>22691089
For you, maybe. I think it’s garbage. Gross art style and retarded plot.
>>
>>22691089
Yeah, but it's fundamentally opposite to Z-hen, instead of an entry point, it's more a celebration that only old fans would get
>>
>>22692904
>it's more a celebration that only old fans would get
As it should be. Fuck newfags.
>>
File: file.png (1.9 MB, 1270x1821)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
>>22692911
Name these three characters immediately or lurk 10 more years
It pulls references from every Go Nagai work possible, as much as I enjoyed it before having much knowledge, you'd have to be an intense fan of Nagai to get all the references and parallels
>>
>>22692942
>Y-YOU HAVE TO GET ALL THE REFERENCES!!!
Dude stop acting like a newfag.
>>
>>22692953
I'm just saying there's some obscure references that only old fans would get, like what anon said
I still enjoyed it despite getting none of the references and regularly reread it
>>
Any chance of us getting Great Hen, even if it's 30 years later using Imagawa's notes or something?
>>
>>22693450
Yes. No.
>>
>>22693450
>>22693454
Why? How did an action-packed revitilized-but-also-true-to-its-roots reboot of such a beloved classic fail to garner enough interest? Was it a retarded timeslot on TV or something? There was seemingly very little promotion right after the show has ended as well (or maybe earlier than that).
>>
>>22694988
Because the modern world sucks.
>>
File: 024.jpg (300 KB, 1280x1840)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>22690068
I want to thank him for giving us the woman with the best legs in anime.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (8 KB, 480x360)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
I just think that what makes this work awesome is that it will remain ambigous forever. Big Fire himself, is he Babil or not? Is he good or not?
>>
>>22694988
It was a huge flop, dude. Even SRW couldn’t make it popular. New fans didn’t give a shit, old fans hated it for being too different.
>>
>>22694988
I like Shin Mazinger, but honestly, it shows far more of Imagawa's weaknesses than his strengths. It's messy, doesn't seem to be building to anything for most of the show, doesn't really hold together when it gets there, has way too many "look at these mysterious people being mysterious"... It's got a lot of great moments, but ultimately I want to like it more than I actually do like it
>>
This is an image board, so here are some images
>>
>>
>>22695505
It was an attempt at what Nagai does. His series are usually not planned, he comes up with ideas as it goes along. He made Devilman that way. So Imagawa first came up with the events of the first episode and then tried to make sense out of it. There’s some obvious plot holes though.
>>
What should I watch that would somewhat fill the void left by Imagawa that's not directed by him?
I watched Mazinkaiser and the rest of GRA.
Anything else?
>>
>>22696018
Ishinomori anime from the 00s are pretty good
>>
>>22696295
For Kikaider, just make sure to look for the Re-Edition version for the OVA sequel because the release we got in America had unfinished animation.
>>
>>22696018
If you want more modern takes on classic series:
The other Getter Robo OVAs
Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier
Gaiking: The Legend of Daiki Maryu
Koutetsushin Jeeg
Maybe the Devilman OVAs? Those are early 90s but that's pretty much modern given how old Devilman is
>>
>>22696942
Adding 009-1 and Astro Boy 2003 to that list as well.
>>
>>22696018
The Big O had some Giant Robo staff work on it, hadn't it?
>>
File: 1709069030911445.jpg (162 KB, 640x480)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>22694988
Aside from the previously mentioned lukewarm reception at the time, there's also the time-proven sidelining of Great Mazinger in general. I think they were setting it up to go into a sequel if the demand was there, but were otherwise prepared to just keep Z as a stand-alone series since longtime fans could more or less imagine what came next. I just finished a rewatch of Shin Mazinger last week after many years, and while I'd love a Great-hen more than anything after all this time I'm also more accepting that it's not meant to be and I should just enjoy the other material out there. Maybe we'll get lucky and Grendizer U will do some exposition for the events of Great Mazinger. I'd like to see them animate the Mycenae chapters from that one Grendizer manga at least.
>>
>>22697630
Really wanna like Grendizer U and I'll probably enjoy it, but I am just not digging the artstyle, such as how humans look and all. Not the style I'd associate with a work like that.
>>
>>22697630
>there's also the time-proven sidelining of Great Mazinger in general.
Oh shut the fuck up. I swear we can't have anything without either Great or Gren fags whining that the shows not about theirs.
>>
>>22697640
98.9% of anime with that retrostyle made in the last 20 years bombed hard.Forget it, it's not gonna happen again. It's this or nothing.
>>
>>22697133
Oh yeah Astro Boy 2003 is a must, that looks beautiful
>>
>>22697648
Not whining. Just stating a fact. I'm encouraging acceptance and that triggers you?
>>
>>22697708
You're doing no such thing. It's completely irrelevant to even bring up Great in discussing why Z under performed.
>triggers
Oh piss off you retard.
>>
File: 1718807296961847.gif (208 KB, 480x360)
208 KB
208 KB GIF
>>22697713
Great is brought up in every single discussion about Shin mazinger for the past 15 years. My post was meant to express understanding about the disappointment, but ultimately that it's best to move on. I didn't even bring Great up first. You are triggered. Next you'll tell me to kill myself because I think it would be nice to get a contemporary Getter G adaptation.
>>
Wasn't "Great was unpopular" something debunked
>>
>>22690667
Torn between wanting a remake of Sabu to Ichi and knowing that it's likely that any new production would try to strip away the fact that's it's an adaptation of an old manga.
>>
>>22697699
Sazae San was the last TV anime. Pokemon movies still used cels up until 2006
>>
>>22697974
If you want to feel a taste of that, there was a pachinko game with brand new animation that looked pretty good bur it’s hard to find decent footage of it.
>>
>>22697945
I think people mean it nowadays. But it’s notorious both Great and Gren pale in comparison to Z popularity. Koji is by far the most beloved MC. Some Japanese fans actually hate Grendizer for turning him into a sidekick.
>>
>>22697652
>Can't even respect classic art styles
The horrible state of modern anime
>>
>>22690068
I wish he did another Ishikawa adaptation. I still get chills rewatching the first three episodes of Armageddon.
>>
>>22697652
>98.9% of anime with that retrostyle made in the last 20 years bombed hard
Which shows are you talking about?
>>
>>22698085
I like all of them, I hope everyone else does too. I think I liked Tetsuya slightly more, think he had slightly more depth as well as the willingness to be a fun asshole
>>
>>22698438
All those cheap Enoki anime like Dmon Lord Dante and Genma Wars, New Getter, Hi no Tori, 009-1, Skullman, Mankatsu, Kotetsushin Jeeg, Hakaba Kitaro, Shin Mazinger, Dororon Enma-kun Meramera, Laughing Salesman, Late Night Tensai Bakabon Cuutie Honey Universe, Getter Robo Arc etc... Last time any of those sold decently was the early 00s.
>>
>>22699077
I didn't say those were bad, I said they underperformed. You will not see any of them in top sellers lists anywhere. The Akira Tsuburaya ones were awful, though .
>>
File: IMG_5186.jpg (209 KB, 853x1280)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
Imagawa should do a new Yokoyama Romance of 3 Kingdoms anime.
>>
>>22699077
Akira Tsuburaya permanently tainting so many classic manga will always make me angry
>>
>>22699064
Hakaba Kitaro, Shin Mazinger, and Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera not doing well makes me turbo mad to be honest.
>>
>>22699209
It upsets me knowing that Wild 7 Another got a Burgerstan DVD release but the original manga is stuck with an incomplete translation with flipped art.
>>
>>22699199
There was almost no merch or representation in SRW compared to the other OVAs. But none of them sold nearly as well as Armageddon.
>>
>>22699639
And Wild 7 Another is potentially the worst series in that batch. But can’t help it, long manga and old, that combination never had a chance in the west .
>>
>>22699197
Would be pretty pointless as he usually avoid doing straight adaptations and you’re talking about a manga based on a book that’s basically a retelling of historical events. There’s too many limitations for that format. Besides, Imagawa has the reputation of burning money and having issues with managing budget, he would never get the chance to do such a long project.
>>
>>22699695
Using Armageddon as a measuring stick is a bit weird considering that just eclipses everything else Getter nowadays, even the manga.
>>
>>22699867
I can’t say I cared for any of them, especially zero. What a bland protagonist with zero charisma. The character design is fine, actually an huge improvement over Leiji’s art. But the animation is still really dull and stiff, and the color palette is just plain ugly.
>>
>>22699867
Haven't watched Gun Frontier but Cosmo Warrior Zero was a 5/10 at best, the storytelling was incredibly slow and lacked any real tension or conflict.
Remarkably decent dub tho, and the special was kind of funny.
>>
>>22699870
Isn't that because the classic voice actors cost too much or were dead
>>
>>22700054
Akira Kamiya is semi-retired and he can't do roles that require lots of screaming anymore. He's also being replaced in the new Kinnikuman and will only voice old characters where he can just talk normally.
>>
>>22699867
Gun Frontier was without a doubt one of the few anime I've ever given a 1/10, it was a special breed of trash. Weird because Zero and 99 were both great.
>>
>>22695375
Yomi in the untranslated manga was also the head of the Experts of Justice. There's so much weird stuff going on with Giant Robo that we only get the barest hints of, its frustrating but makes it even more enjoyable all the same.
>>
>>22700994
My boy Holmes sticking out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>22700994
Is there somewhere I can see the rest of this? It looks really interesting
>>
>>22700994
2001 really was the year when the whole world went to shit, wasn't it?
>>
>>22690068
Love this guy like you wouldn't believe
>>22690419
>Great Hen
What are we thinking boys? Great is the 'left hand of Zeus' for double Big Bang Punch or her turns into Zeus' sword
>>
>>22700291
I'm not sure how many people were attached to the original Musashi but he seemed to be retired or unable to work when the voiced SRW era began. But if there was a mecha character who people were okay with being killed off, it'd be him.
>>
>>22702857
People still care about G Gundam, while almost no one remembers Shin was a thing in Japan
>>
>>22703078
That's depressing to hear
>>
>>22703078
Why'd it bomb in Japan? Around that time period Gundam had a remake with Origin and Macross Frontier was just an updated OG with more flashy songs, both of those did great so why did Shin Mazinger flop? Mazinger has a lot of recognition being the first super robot.
>>
>>22702840
>kept saying it'd be cool for Great to turn into a sword, and be wielded by Big Bang Punch for a mega combo
>someone (You?) actually drew it
Amazing, if it's the Great Booster, it could potentially do some sword stuff on its own as well, even if that might sort of defeat half the purpose
>>
File: zero manga.jpg (340 KB, 842x1200)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
>>22703383
Broadcasting can be a real bitch sometimes. A lot of shows that are considered classics now technically bombed at first or where cancelled. Though I will say Shin Zero VS's plot about a Mazinger being all pissed off nobody cares about Mazinger anymore sure reads differently now.
>>
File: Great Sword Booster.png (1.66 MB, 1478x1578)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
>>22703568
I saw Dann of Thursday before Lian, but yeah, sword bots rule.
>>22703578
>Shin Zero VS's plot about a Mazinger being all pissed off nobody cares about Mazinger anymore sure reads differently now.
Oh, that hurts, that hurts deeply.
Time to read Shin and VS for a third time. I think it's tied as my favourite Mazinger alongside Toei, either one winning over the other depending on whether being the original is valued more, or whether being a thank-you/love-letter to the original and all of the creator's works has more magnitude by definition.
>>
>>22704066
>forgot about this superior CHESTO attack
>no team attack in SRW
Time for a rewatch, and eventual SRW31 add
>>
>>22703593
Imagawa wasn’t a Mazinger fan so I wouldn’t call it a “love letter”, but he gave his best
>>
File: DDER4nNVYAE_otj.jpg (317 KB, 1551x1106)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>>22690068
What was already amazing could've been one of the greatest animes of all time...
>>
>>22704118
Sorry, Shin and VS as in Shin Mazinger Zero, and Shin Mazinger Zero vs Ankoku Daishogun. Called it that instead of Zero because I responded to an anon who called it Shin Zero VS
A deathly shame to hear he wasn't a Mazinger fan, although I'm not sure what you meant by that. I'll assume "he likes Getter way more and it shows" rather than "he's been on record stating how much he hates Mazinger". I thought his Shin Mazinger was good though.
Zero's definitely a thank you and love letter to Go Nagai esp by the end imo.
>>
File: babel giant robo.jpg (416 KB, 1200x848)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>22704122
>part 6 of a 7 part series
>which we will never see the rest of
>the penultimate chapter of an unfinished story is still brimming with pure SOVL
It hurts so much.
>>
>>22704122
>animes
>>
>>22704128
No, he didn’t particularly care for Getter either. He wasn’t even much of a robot anime enthusiast, he was just a huge Tetsujin and Yokoyama fan in general. Nagai and Ishikawa saw Giant Robo and just thought “we want that guy!”. We don’t even know what happened for him to leave Armageddon production 3 episodes in. But in some G Gundam interviews from the DVDs he talks about being aware of those series but not super invested in it or anything.
>>
>>22703538
I didn't draw it, I found it on some random Italian forum once
>>22703593
Where's this one from?
>>
>>22704996
That's Mazinger Otome
>>
>>22695329
Too bad her legs kinda disappeared.....
>>
>>22704122
You'll get a continuation someday with shitty modern anime coloring and CG Giant Robo (the animators are dying and are talent-less hacks)
>>
>>22704075
I made the El Dora team one of my top aces anyways by just stacking all the busted parts on it
>>
>>22709953
It'll still be CGI because animators who can actually draw robots are basically gone, accept the genre is forever trapped by it
>>
I will be forever sad that we will never see (or even read) what the Siege of Babel was supposed to be.
>>
>>22710060
I get what you mean, I gave Giant Sang Yoong one busted part and turn him into a megagod
>>
>>22711371
I thought the reboot was just doing the manga?
>>
>>22711374
There’s no word about that whatsoever, it’s pure speculation.
>>
>>22712007
Do we even know if it's a reboot? Although I'm not sure how they could even do a continuation.
>>
>>22712028
The synopsis they gave is the starting plot, so we assume it's a reboot
>>
File: GRManga.png (638 KB, 421x600)
638 KB
638 KB PNG
Who was this for?
>>
>>22702840
Well, the designer for Shin Mazinger's mecha went with him being the Left Hand in design notes. SRW did the same, with the "Great Booster" being the equivalent to the God Scrander.
>>
>>22703383
Shin Mazinger just failed to appeal to any group in particular. The aesthetic and marketing pushed it heavily as a nostalgia show, but people watching it saw something very different from the Toei anime, which is the most famous version of Mazinger Z in Japan. And even if you knew the manga (And Shin Mazinger did adapt a bunch of stuff from the manga pretty directly) it also went into long side-tours that had nothing to do with the original manga. Really, Imagawa should have gone with characters from other Nagai robot series for his crossover crew (or at least from more well known non-robot series like Devilman or Cutie Honey) over the ones he chose.

And obviously that aesthetic and marketing put off most younger audiences, who saw it as a show for old people. You mention The Origin, but The Origin doesn't try to look retro. Same goes to an actual new show like Macross Frontier.

The pacing also got a lot of criticism. The initial battle lasting a couple of weeks got a bunch of complaints while the show was airing. Obviously it's different when everything is finished already and you can watch it all at once.
>>
>>22716655
>The Origin doesn't try to look retro
Both TO and Unicorn use a lot of design cues straight from 80s shows exactly so they don't look out of place with the actual 70s/80s stuff, they try to look retro in that way
>>
Weird how nobody seems to have mentioned The Big O in this thread.
>>
>>22716543
Shotacons
>>
>>22719119
Because we're trying to keep the thread about good shows.
>>
he's better as a storyboarder, e.g. his Dunbine and L-Gaim episodes stand out as being the most visually deviating and imo prettiest (sorry Tomino). sadly don't have screenshots at hand.

when given full creative control, his works feel all over the place to me, couldn't enjoy Giant Robo, Shin Mazinger, G Gundam, etc. at all.
>>
>>22721966
>shitting on Tomino’s storyboarding and Imagawa’s directing skills
Someone is trying to set a new precedent in shit taste over here.
>>
>>22721987
the former is evidently incorrect and for the latter you must be a snowflake to interpret "couldn't enjoy" as shitting. bad attempt at trolling and manipulating, you must be bored.

Tetsujin (2004) i feel the most neutral torwards, even if i didn't like it either. but i'm hopeful for Mister Ajikko and Seven of Seven.
>>
>>22721966
His shit being all over the place is why I love it.
>>
>>22690068
It's a shame, he's gay.
>>
>>22724762
Who is gay?
>>
>>22721987
Both are great but yeah i disagree with his post too
>>
>>22726247
Imagawa
>>
Glad our board wiki has a Giant Robo page.

https://mmecha.wikia.com/wiki/Mecha_and_Monsters_from_Giant_Robo
>>
>>22724762
>>22726340
If Imagawa was truly gay, he would've had Domon pair up with a man.
>>
>>22726362
>>22726399
>>22726428
Stop spamming.
>>
>>22726616
sis got hit with a three day ban yesterday after having an absolute melty across multiple threads over the janny deleting their advertising
yet here they are, again, advertising their stupid website. AGAIN.
>>
>>22716543
What is this?
>>
>>22726703
>>22726711
Stop ban evading.
>>
>>22726733
The Day the Earth Burned, I presume
>>
Directors that come close to Inagawa in skill and/or style? I mean for directing specifically, not writing or whatever, although that'd be a plus.
>>
>>22726362
>my personal blog
FTFY
>>
File: celluloid-shot0021.jpg (178 KB, 1053x777)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>22727265
Tadao Nagahama was pretty theatrical, at least in Daimos and Voltes V.
(Daimos is probably one of the best anime of the 70s, right up there with the original Yamato and Harlock)
>>
>>22727265
If you want grandiose framing, probably Dezaki, Rintaro and Kawajiri
>>
>>22726532
All his shows have gay-coded characters. Chief Chujo and Professor Go in Giant Robo. The 2 monks in G Gundam. The principal and his assistant in Seven of Seven. Don't remember if it happens in Shin Mazinger or Tetsujin 28, but you could say those are closer to being a "straight" adaptation of the source material.
>>
>>22716655
>The initial battle lasting a couple of weeks got a bunch of complaints while the show was airing.
I didn't mind the pacing myself but yeah, after the weird montage of a first episode the first sortie ended still taking like another 4 episodes ontop of that.
>>
>>22727735
>gay-coded
Oh great, the tumblr gestapo is here.
>>
>>22727735
How are Chujo and Go gay? All they seem to be is friends.
>>
>>22727905
Chuji placed his hand over Go's shoulder once. HOMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS.
>>
>>22727291
Nagahama started by working in (puppet) theatre, so its not surprising there's influence. I personally like Voltes just a bit better than Daimos, but overall Daimos is probably better.

It's really too bad he died when he did, I'm sure he would have gone on to create other great shows.
>>
File: Shining Gundam settei.jpg (3.42 MB, 3507x7440)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
>>
>>22728164
>I personally like Voltes just a bit better than
Daimos, but overall Daimos is probably better.
Erika's story dominates the show, sometimes at the expense of other characters and subject matters (Kazuya's sister and wiseass Disco Samurai sidekick, etc.), but it's interesting enough that I don't mind.
I also like the comedy, even when it's placed to dampen some of the more the serious scenes.

Can't think of anything that Voltes outright did better, though it's kinda lame that Richter hasn't had the guts to destroy an executed traitor's possessions like Heinel did (though to be fair I'm just at the halfway mark).
>>
>>22727905
Wait until you find out a lot of gr fans outside here think Yoshi is trans because she was based off a man from water margin.
>>
>>22728301
>a lot of gr fans
One shitty fanartist is not "a lot"
>>
>>22728301
Americans don't have souls so they can't be fans of anything.
>>
>>22692953
you being a sperg is more annoying
>>
>>22727735
Fuck off tourist
>>
File: Big Bang Punch.webm (4 MB, 1280x720)
4 MB
4 MB WEBM
>>
bu/m/p

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.