[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Sayonara, Jupiter!.jpg (220 KB, 1920x1080)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
Funky designs and handcrafted spaceship models galore! What's yer favorite SF production from this blessed time period?
>>
>>22726328
I made this same thread and no one cared, here's hoping you have better luck. Sayonara Jupiter is great.
>>
File: Goten_thewarinspace1977.jpg (341 KB, 2336x821)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>22726328
All the movies I've watched from the Showa era fucking sucked, Star Wars included. I had fun with The War in Space though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmR_q257Txc
>>
>>22726339
What do you like?
>>
>>22726441
You having a meltdown again?
>>
File: mightyjack.jpg (269 KB, 800x600)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>22726328
>What's yer favorite SF production from this blessed time period?
As for live action, probably Ultraman and Ultraseven. Also Showa-era Tsuburaya productions has some of my favorite designs in my opinion (save for Taro).

For anime, it's probably got to be Macross DYRL. That shit is my Empire Strikes Back.
>>
>>22726328
Zardoz doesn't have any spaceships (giant floating head never goes to space) but I love it. I am constantly commiting psychic violence against everyone.

Starcrash is probably my favorite of the cheap Star Wars knock-offs. Texas robot!
>>
Odin is one of my favorite anime movies
>>
>>22727516
mate that movie fucking blows
>>
>>22727531
Your mom blows while Japanese Heavy Metal blats.
>>
For me, it's Zanon.
>>
It's kind of sad reading old sci-fi, they were so positive about our future
>>
>>22728937
No one could have predicted the poo people.
>>
I love Blake's 7 more than most people love their families.
>>
>>22729478
Splendor is the best theme for a sci fi show.
>>
>>22726328
>this blessed time period?
Fuck you OP, the oil crisis fucked us over..
>>
>>22729848
Flock of Seagulls weren't very terrific either.
>>
>>22727516
>>22727531
The duality of /m/an.
>>
File: YamatoCollage.jpg (3.08 MB, 3208x2468)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
>>22726328
Space Battleship Yamato accomplishes it's humble goal with such efficiency that it makes many sci-fi anime produced since come off as gimmicky and overburdened in comparison.
New Voyage, III and Final and are my favorite of it's sequels, because they keep the original's balance between fantasy quest and war story: though the other Leiji Matsumoto anime of the time still win out in terms of originality and polish.
>>
File: ace tac.jpg (53 KB, 640x480)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
I wonder how expensive would it be today to do a blockbuster science-fiction production with pre-1990s special effect techniques? Star Wars costed only 40 million dollars in today's money.
>>
>>22731787
I think the issue is more getting anyone to go for it. Cost wise? Well Godzilla Minus One cost 15 million. Shin Godzilla was about the same. You could probably make something for 20.
>>
>>22731787
>>22731795
Another issue is that a lot of the people that know how to do that stuff are dead or retired, and rebuilding the skillset would take time and money. It's like animating robots in anime, without practicing those skills from youth, the new generation just can't do it.
>>
>>22731797
Yeah, you'd need someone to really WANT to sit down and learn it. I doubt they teach it in film school so there would be a lot of trial and error, which would honestly be kind of interesting.
>>
>>22731797
Not true at all. Within Hollywood? Sure, scratch building spaceships isn't as popular as it once was.
But go to any model building con, and you'll find guys who dedicate their free time to replicating EXACTLY the ships from Star Wars, Trek, etc.
ILM still has guys working there who worked on Star Wars, not to mention so much of the production is documented.
Making a film with pre-1990's special effects is completely possible, but getting the production company to agree to it is another story entirely.
>>
>>22729714
It actually has a title?
>>
>>22731935
Getting the models made is the easy part, you need someone who knows how to make a movie too.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.