[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Alright /m/, what are you watching, playing, reading, building, or painting recently?
>>
make a blog
>>
>>22732792
Just finished bubblegum crisis, saving the music video for last, Ive only really started watching anime again seriously(mostly if not only older titles) and this is already one of my new all time favorites, god I understand the circumstances but I wished there were more(not watching crash) made especially the unmade hot springs skit
>>
File: 1674410456469024.webm (3.87 MB, 640x480)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB WEBM
Rewatching shin getter robo & finishing Galaxy Cyclone Braiger.
>>
watching zz gundam, but I got distracted by space cobra and now I'm watching that instead lol
>>
>>22732792
Just started giant gorg and man is this anime is so charming. Now halfway through Ultraman Gaia, I love it, it's turning into one of my favorite ultra shows.
>>
>>22732918
>Ive only really started watching anime again seriously
What else were you watching recently?
>>
>>22732792
Building a tank kit and getting to grips on my gunpla backlog. Got Macross Delta and Bubblegum Crisis lined up to watch.
>>
>>22733261
A whole bunch of tokusatsu specifically this year Showa rider and metal heroes, what I meant by “seriously” was a bit of an exaggeration and more so haven’t watched a whole lot in a while
>>
Been mostly talking about it in the Tetsujin 28 thread, but right now I'm 93 episodes into the 69s version. Gotta admit there are parts I like, but it unfortunately does a lot wrong. Like a lot plus long episode count. For currently airing stuff just Ultraman Arc, Grendizer U, and Kamen Rider Gotchard (10 eps in that one). Currently 9 eps into X-Bomber, not caring for it. And one episode into Byclosser and Changerion, not much to say on them right now.
>>
>>22734297
You’ll enjoy byclosser, it’s so simple but still enjoyable, plus doctor Q is an absolute treasure of a villain
>>
>>22732792
I've been binging Macross. Finished SDF, II and Plus and currently watching 7. I'm surprised people hate II, I liked it while I didn't really enjoy Plus very much.
>>
>>22734381
Neat, thank you anon.
>>
>>22733433
Alright, fair enough. Glad you're getting back into it!
>>
>>22734565
based and correct opinion
macross plus is anti-macross which is why its shit
>>
>Grendizer's equivalent of an arms race is the Vegans trying to find their base
>in response, the institute has nine different places where Grendizer can deploy from
>the Vegans might bully the harmless ranch of farm animals to try and bait the noble Duke out, but generally the harmless institute isn't on their figurative radar
Exciting. Also it's a bromance or yaoi show, depending on who you ask.
https://files.catbox.moe/ez9jc1.png
>>
Finished Eureka a lil while ago, just finished JoJo Part 5 so I might get back to the mecha grind. Been streaming Mellowlink for a friend, and I might watch Big O since I haven't seen it since it was on Toonami.

>>22734565
I've not watched II yet, but I do genuinely agree that Plus is a bit overrated. The animation and like, general artistry is fantastic, but the characters and overall plot are kind of thin.
>>
>>22734297
That's a lot. Do you work for a living or are you a NEET?
>>
Halfway through LOGH Gaiden 2. The digital art and animation is alright so far.
>>
>>22732918
I still don't know why it's called Bubblegum Crisis
>>
Gaming and personal issues has completely thrown off my schedule. I'm behind on almost everything. Gonna have to push through this next week and hopefully get everything sorted.
>>
>>22738670
I remember reading, in the long long ago, that it's meant to represent a world about to burst like bubblegum. Also maybe something about the economic bubble? Like I said it was a long time ago. Like 2000 single digit something.
>>
>>22738676
My condolences on your personal issues.
>>
>>22732792
I'm rewatching 0079's English dub.
>>
Watched Cyber Formula Zero. Probably the best Cyber Formula content I've seen thus far.
>>
>>22732792
Capped off my Macross series binge with Delta Zettai Live and watching Brain Powerd now. Liking the atmosphere a lot so far and looking forward to how weird it gets - I've heard some things.
>>
Watched the Zillion OVA. A different, but fun story from the TV series.
>>
>>22741091
Just remember this is a tomino show, so expect things and nonsensical names
>>
>>22732792
Been slacking again lately but I'm trying to finish up Getter Robo and Ufo Robo Grendizer. I'm still new to mecha and I'm trying to watch shows by release year so I will better understand the genre when I watch more recent shows.

>>22736626
>Exciting. Also it's a bromance or yaoi show, depending on who you ask.
I completely understand this.
>>
Finished dirty pair flight 005 conspiracy and with that the entire class 80s series which took quite a bit to go through, I’ll miss those stupid sexy knuckleheads but it was absolutely worth going through the whole thing
>>
>>22746528
“Classic” but we all know that
>>
File: retard.png (380 KB, 704x528)
380 KB
380 KB PNG
watching argento soma
only a few eps in but it just doesn't seem to click, which is a shame b/c there are some neat designs
like the retard girl tho
>>
Finished LOGH Gaiden. It nice seeing characters like Patrichev and Kircheis get some extra focus screentime, but man, I missed the others like Reuenthal and Mittermeyer.
>>
File: 4343_1694758996.jpg (72 KB, 640x360)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Tetsujin 28 1980 - very childish show, nice animation sometimes but damn this is a dum show for 6yos. Not bad just hard to concentrate watching. Nothing interesting happens ever. Put it on hold.

Mazinger Z 1972 - starts slow but i got into it eventually by the time they got 2nd villain, the beheaded nazi guy. Hard to believe it's 1st mecha ever, feels very fresh sometimes. Now i get those mazinger memes yey

Super Robot Taisen Divine wars - ok this one is a GBA tactical game adaptation and it shows. Very mechanical story delivery so far, fight after fight and only mission related dialogues. A bit bland and gray. Can't say i hate it. Front mission anime would be like that probably. I want FM3 anime!

Jinki Extend - this one is like those 2000s 2deep4u shows/jap novel games where they just throw everything at you. The result is not great but i miss shows like that. It's like anime going full ANIME. Also mecha is well animated but square and ugly like soviet toy trucks. Felt like a waste.

Great Dangaioh - nice. people who made it obviously had passion and some talent but it's just one of those forgotten shows i guess. Well it was worth watching.

Also plan watching rahxephon because i saw it 20 years ago and forgot practically everything. And it looks great.
>>
2 episodes into Acrobunch, I finished Zambot 3 recently which I enjoyed a fair bit. Debating with starting a Brave series next (eyes on Da Garn or Goldran) or just throwing caution to the wind and diving headfirst into Srungle
>>
>>22734565
Yeah I’m really fond of Macross II. It’s a charming show with some great designs
>>
Finally getting to spend some time with Bullbuster.
>>
>>22748687
>the beheaded nazi guy. Hard to believe it's 1st mecha ever
What made you think that about Brocken? Anyway, I hope you enjoy Great if you've finished Z, it's very very slightly weaker than Z but makes up for it in other ways.
Also, you might like Imagawa's 2004 Tetsujin remake. Nice and memorable little stories with an overarching plot/question, it's set post-war but the show never beats you over the head with "nukes bad America bad", it respects you to think for yourself
>>
Finished the entirety of Gattai Robo Atlanger today, it was really fun, I just wish they had more episodes.
>even affords itself a lil commercial break, with its own toy commercial
>>
>>22749254
I don't even know how it got made in the first place. Who makes an OVA for some old chogokin that was sold 4 decades prior to the OVA's release? Like I understand it was also getting a new kit or whatever concurrent to the OVA, but still, it's a little insane for something that had basically no major fictional appearances
>>
>>22749267
IIRC it was something of a co-production with Justeen which sadly also ended up as nothing more than a con-exclusive OVA.
>>
Started watching Gaiking Legend of Daiku Maryu. Like how the main character's hair changes whenever he pilots Gaiking.
>>
>>22749365
hope you aren't watching the TV-N release
>>
>>22749367
The one with the "unfinished/unable to meet the deadlines" animation verison?
>>
>>22749368
Yeah (not that some of the "fixed" stuff was any better), and the "what the fuck are you even talking about?!" translations.
>>
>>22749267
I did NOT know it was for an existing product, man...
>a kit does exist for an okish price
>but it comes with a girl that looks like Atlanger
>the only search results I get for her are the kit of her and Atlanger
I mean, $130 CAD for two obscure Japanese robots isn't horrible..
>it was getting a new kit
Unironically sad this didn't pick up, it has a really good spirit
>>22749367
I'm 3/4s in and I got the [T-N] Gaiking - Legend of Daiku-Maryu [TV 704x396 XviD] one due to the small filesize, did I fuck up?
>>
>>22749383
>did I fuck up?
Totally.
There's such shit in it like Proist sarcastically asking Dick how much sugar he wants in his tea which got translated to "Just how many homes can one have?" or the infamous Shinryu Hydro Blazer line in ep 13 that got turned into completely made up gibberish and now also lacks the reason why Li got embarrassed by it (the original is something along the line of "tech as taught by Li Jenshin!".

And let's not forget fucking "ADLE ICE".
>>
>>22749383
And to add to>>22749388 said, the TV version animation quality is horrible, the DVD version has a lot of fixes because this anime was made with duct tape, spit and a dream when it aired. Get the DMkIII release instead, it's only a couple of gigs bigger but much better.
>>
File: FACE OPEN frame.png (694 KB, 1920x1080)
694 KB
694 KB PNG
>>22749388
>how much sugar he wants in his tea which got translated to "Just how many homes can one have?"
What the fuck
>ADLE ICE
Wait what
I don't recall a lot of stuff that were glaringly bad, but I've been juggling a bunch of other shows as well..
>>22749399
>was trying to find a screencap where it showed the airing time, but some don't have that
>pic rel happened once or twice
>this anime was made with duct tape, spit and a dream when it aired
Maybe it says something about me that I tolerated this fun anime with no issues despite its problems. I'll switch over to DMkIII though, thank you, it's only 2-3gb of remaining episodes.
>>
File: gaiking.jpg (108 KB, 916x784)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>22749416
LoDM was hastly put together due to only having THREE months of pre-production time and no sponsors at all until later.
Shit was so bananas that Riku Sanjo wrote the scenarios for the first 26 eps IN ONE NIGHT.
However, it does get A LOT better later on (with some exceptions) and there's some genuinely good animation here and there since they somehow managed to get a surprising amount of highly-regarded animators on board.
>>
File: Gaiking morose.png (1.91 MB, 1920x1080)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
>>22749420
>no sponsors
But they kept telling me kono bangumi wa after every OP...
>Riku Sanjo wrote the scenarios for the first 26 eps IN ONE NIGHT.
Get that poor man off the frontlines...
>However, it does get A LOT better later on (with some exceptions) and there's some genuinely good animation here and there since they somehow managed to get a surprising amount of highly-regarded animators on board.
... maybe it's just my love of super robots that gives a lot of low-budget/quality animation a pass. Objectively and in hindsight, Getter Robo Arc looked a bit cheap, but I was just happy to see the robots from the manga flying around and hearing their pilots screaming, and it was likewise with Gaiking, being similar to Mazinger Z in some ways, but enjoying (some of) a 2000s budget.
I would watch a well-written mecha powerpoint if it had a full voiced cast and an OP by JAM project.
>>
>>22749416
I can’t lie, the trainwreck tv version looks more entertaining than the supposed fixed one
>>
File: Djgu2IcUcAANRHE.jpg (826 KB, 2793x1790)
826 KB
826 KB JPG
>>22749424
>But they kept telling me kono bangumi wa after every OP...
Not in the first episodes - it wasn't until like ep. 15-16 that Bandai and the likes stepped in.
Hell, it's one of the reasons why they went with the original designs instead of the NEO ones: they didn't have any toy companies and sponsors breathe down their necks and could just do whatever the fuck they wanted.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.