[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mecha double joint.png (1.38 MB, 2160x1080)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
Why do modern mecha/gundam designs still use the round cap around elbow/knee joints when it's double jointed as standard functionally?
>>
What?
>>
looks cleaner I guess?
Also may be simpler to draw for animators.
>>
File: nice.jpg (6 KB, 182x200)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Now this is some nice proper autism. I think it's mainly because of aesthetics to create an arm that feels like it can properly turn.
>>
>>22735192
Problem with circle joint is you're limited to 90o bend at most. Unless they cheat and make secondary joint next to the circle joint
>>
>>22735220
But that's exactly what's happened in the past 20 years. They actually have 2 joints instead of 1 now even if they still look like they have 1. That's what OP is saying.
There are designs where caps/orbs are placed closer to where they actually rotate (like Exia etc). Just a design language thing perhaps.
>>
>>22735184
Not put together a kit this century?
>>
File: UNI.jpg (25 KB, 499x347)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>22735184
>>
>>22735172
added visual feedback. Also, in animated shows, it's treated as the actual joint
>>
>>22735172
Maybe they are external servos to assist the main joint. Or modular reactive armor plates.
>>
>>22740031
Yeah, I would saythe design helps better protect the meat of the joint, so to speak
>>
I imagine it's easier for animators to imagine single joints because it's more human that way.
>>
>>22740567
That’s really irrelevant, the human arm or leg is also composed of several distinct shapes when bent anyway, they teach you proper anatomy in art school you know. But yeah it’s mostly a common design language

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.