[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 4923764_sa.jpg (60 KB, 481x555)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Are there any settings where cooling is a serious consideration? I know it's a serious matter in Battletech/MechWarrior but the only times it's come up anywhere else it's either been:
>Excuse to give a unit cool hair (Genesic GGG, the XO originals, Laevatain, possibly the Apotheosized Shura machine gods but it's been a while)
>Excuse for a machine to have a timeout on their super mode
Both of which are fine and very cool, but I'm just intrigued to see more settings where cooling/temperature of the battlefield is a tactical consideration.
>>
>>22743913
No, but some autist will probably dig up some obscure thing that answers your question. I think it's boring enough that people dont give it too much consideration if it's not going to be part of a super mode. Cooling is a background process in the grand scheme of things, either weaponry gotta stop for a few minutes as they got too hot or mechs might just occasionally spew exhaust/hot air from their vents to look cool
>>
>>22743923
I think that it certainly can be a source of interesting stuff, for example in Mechwarrior ice worlds allow people to run loadouts that would be impossible elsewhere, whereas desert battles have to be fought with incredible restraint. Sometimes those mundane little background processes lead to the most interesting scenarios. Also
>some autist
That's gonna be anyone posting here buddy
>>
>>22743929
The Aquatic mobile suits in Gundam like the Z'gok or Gogg, I forgot, has to rely heavily on the ocean to cool down it's weaponry cause Zeon are shitters or somethin
>>
File: acnexus-1649695748459.jpg (142 KB, 1024x1024)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
Cooling was a thing in AC2-Silent Line, but it wasn't until Nexus that it became a major part of the gameplay. A change that was almost universally disliked by the player base.
>>
>>22743913
It's not really dwelt on much but Dancouga Nova originally had a problem were it could only stay combined for a few minutes without frying the pilots alive.
>>
>>22743932
They had way bigger (multiple?) reactors than other MS at the time to run their heavy beam armament.
>>22743913
Valvrave of all things has it be an issue for a decent chunk. It tends to show up in literature that tries to be a bit harder SF (Langston Fields in The Mote In God's Eye, for instance, are basically heat sinks but much more powerful and generalized).
>>
File: heat-radiator.jpg (165 KB, 850x1043)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>22743913
Not a "serious consideration", but I like how in Crossbone Gundam the mouth heat radiator is a indicator of higher output.
>>
Random thing but there's that one part in Gundam Wing where the Zero System and Epyon system generates too much outcomes and then shoots out hot air from the head exhausts.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (119 KB, 1280x720)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>22743913
It's a big consideration with F91's design, due to their tech miniaturization resulting in more heat generation
>radiator fins on the shoulders for regular cooling
>opening faceplate for additional cooling
>MEPE for XTREME cooling

>>22744784
Crossbone touches upon it too. It's explained in the manga that because Crossbone is meant for guerilla ops, they opted to reduce its heat signature, intermittently dissipating it all at once through the mouth vent.
>>
Mazinger chest plates are actually heat sinks.
>>
>>22744799
That's bulls-
>Breast fire
Motherfucker
>>
>>22743913
Zaku tubing is a means to ventilate heat. Real basic but it's there.
>>
>>22743951
>people hated on Nexus
I'm so glad I was never part of a "player base" and just enjoyed AC, Nexus was one of my favorites and I played them all on release.
>>
>>22744796
>It's a big consideration with F91's design, due to their tech miniaturization resulting in more heat generation
The F91 is a special case because it only starts shedding its skin when it enters maximum operating mode. The reactor, thrusters, and other shit are pushed to their limits and the F91 becomes the strongest MS of its time, surpassing its near peers like the Neo Gundam and Cluster Gundam

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.