[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GUi4A5GXcAE_5DZ.jpg (180 KB, 723x1081)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>Kia Asamiya draws some art for Kantai Collection
>Gets shit on by every coomer zoomer online and has death threats to him and his family
https://x.com/kia_asamiya/status/1822349372002009422
No wonder most of the legendary 80's and 90's artists and designers just aren't interested in working in the industry anymore
>>
>>22775632
So…what exactly happened? I don’t really see anything offensive
>>
>>22775660
He drew a design they didn't like because it didb't fit in with all the post-2010 moeblobs and then they went apeshit on him.
>>
>>22775695
That’s it? I was thinking he did some that was extremely unpopular but over that? That’s kinda petty, can’t be a lot of people but I can’t believe I can finally use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s736JO1lvw
>>
>>22775715
Didn't catch all the action yesterday but here are definitely 2 Chinese accounts telling him to quit.
Things weren't that bad until 1 message from an English account saying the account owner will be at comiket hunting down Kia Asamiya.
Shortly afterwards Kia Asamiya posted he won't be participating this summer's comiket, and he has reported the incident to the police and his lawyer.
>>
Another one of these inane threads eh
>>
>>22775695
This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>22775860
>not knowing who the most popular character designer of the 90's was
>>
File: cover.jpg (413 KB, 1128x1600)
413 KB
413 KB JPG
Did you know Silent Mobius got a sequel? I sure wish someone would translate it.
>>
>>22775632
I would love a asamiya design in fgo
>>
>>22775632
>most of the legendary 80's and 90's artists and designers just aren't interested in working in the industry anymore
says fucking who? who gives a shit about twitter drama kys
>>
>>22775924
Sadamoto.
>>
File: 1530207776490.jpg (52 KB, 892x703)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>22775632
>Gets shit on by every coomer zoomer online and has death threats to him and his family
Those were mostly bot accounts from China with some pretending to be American. KC attracted the ire of some chinks with plenty of attacks being made on their servers in the past which is why the game is only playable from Japan now.
Honestly, the artist is acting like a retard also by taking such a nothing burger so seriously, so fuck him too.
Now if only people were this passionate about actual issues like how we still don't have playable abyssals...
>>
>>22775990
OP's not even getting the story right.
Barely anyone was giving a shit besides some bot accounts, with the vast majority of people just being slightly puzzled over the clashing artstyles but showing 0 hostility towards the decision.
>>
File: 1000095284.jpg (258 KB, 711x880)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>22776098
>clashing art style
isn't that the normal for kantai collection where they have ton of artists worked on it before
or how to this day some people still don't like Shibafu art
>>
File: 1558616013899[1].jpg (597 KB, 2263x1200)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
Honestly his art just didn't go digital very well, plus it doesn't really look like he brought his A-game to that design either. It's like how Hisashi Hirai's art looked way less conspicuous prior to digital
>>
>>22776129
To a certain extent, but Kia Asamiya's style is the most different one from the rest
>>
>>22776098
>clashing artstyles
I'm sure if she wore a short sailor suit, thing, rabbit ears ribbon and fang nobody would mind it being out of phase with traditional miko design sensibility.
>>
>>22776089
>Honestly, the artist is acting like a retard also by taking such a nothing burger so seriously, so fuck him too.
artists are fragile souls
>>
>>22776159
the artstyle is what makes it clash, the outfit is actually very similar to Saratoga's
>>
>>22775632
>>22775954
These look fucking beautiful.
>>
>>22776129
HATE Shinafu. Now there's someone who should be getting death threats.
>>
>>22775632
It doesn't fit KC. At least fix the shading.
>>
>>22775842
Let me just say this, they are scared of being assassinated live on camera. Has there been artists known to have been assassinated in conventions before?
>>
>>22776647
Apparently they were bot accounts see>>22776098 its understandable on how he felt, probably the first time he’s heard of such accounts
>>
>>22776089
I believe you but there are also a lot of people I know who actual English players that were inordinately mad about it in places like KC Wikia and EN Wiki communities
>>
>>22776672
>Apparently they were bot accounts
You think that makes it any better? Even if they are actually "bots", someone is behind them, whether the intentions are real or not I wouldn't fucking risk it.
>bro these never go through
Oh well he's gonna miss 1 (one) comiket, big fucking deal.
>>
>>22776159
Nah they still would. the base art for Murakumo and Tenryuu is pretty much exactly what you describe and were treated as being kind of out there, especially Murakumo who was leagues away from the rest of her sister ships in design until everyone just got kind of used to it and other ships were added to her class to bridge the gap
>>
>>22776089
Do death threats in Japan ever lead to anything?
Outside from the arson attack on KyoAni I don't think I've heard of other cases of people actually attacking someone from the anime/gaming industry.
>Now if only people were this passionate about actual issues like how we still don't have playable abyssals.
I think that would be more exciting than half of the new ships released in the last 6 years.
>>
Dont look at his Nadesico art
>>
>>22775993
>I don't watch anime except Evanjellion
>>
>>22776985
why
>>
>>22776985
>Don't look at his Star Wars Episode 1 art
ftfy
totally look at his 80s art, thou
>>
>>22776999
>creates the most iconic characters from the 90s
>not the most popular character designer from the 90s
Pick one.
>>
>>22777030
>Eva
>most iconic of the 90's
Back to Netflix retard
>>
>>22777041
>sees eva being mentioned
>thinks of netflix
Follow your own advice.
>>
>>22775632
Shame.
His style takes a while to get used to (specially his modern stuff) but once you get into it, its very good. Probably one of my favorite character designers.
>>22775924
A bit of a stretch. Guys like Nobuteru Yuki were more popular.
>>22775954
I wish someone would scan the original manga.
Hell, even thought of doing it myself by hunting the viz volumes but i don't have a scanner.
>>
>>22777162
It could probably stand a reissue too. Udon tried a while back but they're 1) Udon and 2) so lazy they got like 3 volumes out before quitting.
>>
>>22776647
Just a side note.
Later that day Kia Amemiya found out that the circle that handles his work has been assigned to a table right next the the entrance of the men's bathroom. The most populated and smelly place of all places.
He then asked his friends for help trying to relocate his stuff to a new location.
The most
>>
>>22777228
>The most
Rip anon
>>
>>22777235
The comiket arsonists got him before he could ruin their plan.
>>
>>22776942
Playable abyssals is kinda antithetical to the point of the game, it'd just be fan service at that point
>>
>>22777340
That's such a no-fun-allowed mentality.
We already have what-if stuff and fan service so I don't see why some more would be detrimental to the experience as long as it is well handled.
>>
Dude just locked his account. How bad have things gotten?
>>
>>22775632
Was it his idea to ruin Nadesico with prince of darkness? Because funny enough the other wacky humor show he did (gatekeepers) also had an edgy no fun allowed sequel, only they actually killed the cast in that one
>>
>>22777469
Since it’s just bots it’s probably just a “better safe than sorry” kinda thing until things get sorted out, not that he’s outright retiring
>>
File: silent mobius.jpg (319 KB, 1920x1080)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
It's actually really depressing how little Silent Mobius content there is online. Which is a shame because I always liked it. It has a pretty cool setting that's a mix of fantasy/mysticism and science fiction. That kind of thing isn't really too rare but often they try to explain each other rather than working in tandem while being played straight.
>>
>>22775632
Is it normal to fuck botes?
>>
>>22776134
Funny how it's the dudes (far left and far right) who are the most obvious Hiraifaces here
>>
>>22776942
>Do death threats in Japan ever lead to anything?
Some college girl anonymously tweeted that if her horse didn't win she'd blow up the race track in a fashion which was clearly just joking/hyperbole and they fucking hunted down and arrested her

https://www.sankei.com/article/20240606-GVIYYTFM5VMQ5KZZJABACCOELU/
>>
>>22777228
It's also the hottest comiket in years and the toilets smell worse the hotter it gets
>>
>>22777378
Part of their appeal is their absolutely abusive stat lines, making them playable would be a nightmare keeping them in tact. I wouldn't want them in a super nerfed form and don't trust them to be able to navigate that balance. Power creep is already the name of the game, and Abyssal units would make them crank the difficulty even more. Just look at this event's nightmarish EO maps
>>
Speaking of Abyssals, Asamiya's art style for Lexington's shipgirl form is funnier since she's drawn in a modern style for the enemy fleet
>>
>>22778519
I haven't been following Kancolle for years now, have they stopped hiding that the enemies are fallen versions of the girls?
>>
>>22778519
did anyone bitch about this one?
>>
>>22778590
Has it ever really been hidden?
>>22778591
None
>>
>>22778690
For the first five years or so they never really explained anything about the enemy faction which made the anime a big deal when they actually showed it happen, but then the game just went on refusing to acknowledge it
>>
File: das_boot.gif (1.48 MB, 480x270)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB GIF
>>22777469

Pic rel...
>>
>>22778510
I'm fine if they are overpowered honestly since the game has felt kinda stale in the last few years with its balance, anything as long as I can get Wo-class.
Even then I think you could still balance them well enough even if their stats are notably better than the shipgirls' by making them more expensive to maintain, being less versatile with the equipment they can use, being incompatible with friend fleets and maybe not leveling up.
All in all, I can totally see this being properly handled without hurting the game in any serious way.
>>
File: Abyssal and shipgirl.png (2.37 MB, 1532x2508)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB PNG
>>22778519
She looks like such an edgelord, I love her.
>>22778590
Sadly. KC has been as in-your-face as possible ever since the movie was released. The mysterious aura that the abyssals had before was one of the best things about them and turning it into just "that's a sunken shipgiirl, sink her back to get the shipgirl" completely ruined all the intrigue and potential.
>>22778690
It was more subtle at first with some abyssals only having very small nods to their shipgirl counterpart rather than just being pretty much the same girl but recolored which happens frequently now with the artist who mainly draw shipgirls rather than abyssals.
>>
>>22778849
I'm cherrypicking a bit since some newer abyssals still feel different enough from the shipgirl but the ratio of unique designs to obvious shipgirl counterpart has certainly increased a lot.
One way or another, I hate how this stopped being something subtle and open for interpretation.
>>
>>22778849
Well that's lame

Did they reveal if the earlier ones were based on specific kanmusu? I can't think of what Wo could be.
>>
>>22778858
Most of the abyssals that didn't have a clear shipgirl counterpart still remain a mystery. There are some theories with Ri-class being Mogami (heavy cruiser with short hair) or Re-class being Ikazuchi but the original abyssals and installations still remain a mystery.
>>
>>22778849
>>22778858
Even before the anime, CV Demon and Princess being Kaga and Midway being Akagi was pretty much common knowledge
>>22778851
It's kinda funny you're using DD Princess because she's another pre-anime Abyssal and extemely obviously Harusame
>>
File: midway.png (853 KB, 822x910)
853 KB
853 KB PNG
>>22778924
CV Demon had traits of both Kaga and American ships. Midway doesn't really have too many traits of Akagi other than the long hair with her design alluding to an installation. She's categorized as an aviation battleship rather than an aircraft carrier and her dress is completely different than Akagi's. Her design being similar to an extend to Airfield Hime's and Hoppou's also seemed to imply that they're either closely related or evolutions of the same species.
Not going to blame you if you like the "Midway is abyssal Akagi" theory but it certainly wasn't as clear cut as it is nowadays, she was more than just edgy Akagi.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.54 MB, 1582x2500)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>22778924
>It's kinda funny you're using DD Princess because she's another pre-anime Abyssal and extemely obviously Harusame
That's exactly why I posted her since I was saying I was cherrypicking a bit. But then again, her not having legs unlike the shipgirl helps to differentiate her enough I think.
I'm not against the "abyssals are sunken shipgirls" idea, but I just really dislike how the franchise latched on so hard to this approach rather than having more varied and nuanced designs that seemed to have more implications about the setting and the abyssals other than "this shipgirl but edgy"
>>
>>22778994
I still think it fits, and does actually say a bit about the Abyssals as a threat. I've said it for a long time, but they're pretty much a (heavily) nerfed form of the Bydo. They're a corrupting force feeding off our past, copying and assimilating whatever they come across as they go. Most of their more female form units are either accompanied by or embedded with another animalistic (read, male) Abyssal, kinda like how Bydo are so obsessed with male/female reproduction. There's also the whole thing with the last stage of any given operation being referred to as "Last Dance." Unrelated, if you aren't too much of a fan of boss Abyssals being corrupted shipgirl there's always the installations.
>>
>>22778986
I wasn't aware of this abyssal being based on an actual base, looks metal as fuck.
>>
>>22776089
Finding an artist with a spine is hard, most shatter like glass if you fuck with them.
>>
>>22779045
Yup, you do have plenty of historical references like that in the game.
>>
>>22775695
So its true, the supposed civil war in the anime industry?
>>
>>22775632
>>Kia Asamiya draws the Nadesico manga
>>Gets shit on by everyone
>>
>>22775632
Shame, it looks good.
>>
>>22778849
This is the first time I've seen someone say Abyssal Miku is actually Abyssal Yamato
>>
>>22776942
There's been some pretty severe and high profile cases of stalking. Just recently some creepy dude that had been sending obsessive shit online tackled a cosplayer at a con.
>>
>>22775632
Looks worse than Shibafu
>>
>>22776183
Some people simply lack sympathy and self-restraint.
>>
>>22778519
Wait a minute, how does a museum ship have an Abyssal version?
>>
>>22775632
Besides the KyoAni arson, have death threats against artists ever materialized? Not even George Lucas or Jake Lloyd or Ahmed Best were actually hurt after all of the hate they received. Feels like twitter "hate" just amounts to bad feelings from seeing lots of people expressing an opinion that they don't like you're stuff as opposed to anything you have to worry about.
>>
>>22777099
NTA, but you are acting like a retard. Sadamoto has worked in other things besides EVA.
>>
>>22784419
>Sadamoto has worked in other things besides EVA
So? I wasn't even the one that brought Eva up.
>>
>>22778519
Looks really generic, like an Azur Lane baddie or something. They've really dropped the ball with these enemy designs lately
>>
>>22778821
>It's the Wo schizo shitting up another Kancolle thread with his "why must the villains be bad?" victim complex
I'm not even mad, just amazed that you seemingly stalk every single thread that mentions Kancolle in any capacity just to post your tirade, even if the thread is "hey a notable artist got sent numerous death threats to the point cops got involved"
>>
>>22779065
Good. All the more reason to support AI over special snowflake slop.
>>
>>22779065
>>22784908
You're trying a bit too hard, friend.
>>
>>22785028
First post isn't wrong.
Japanese artists nuke their accounts over nothing all the time. Death Threats are worse but Kia Asamiya is overreacting. which just gives power to the chinks sending them.
>>
>>22783552
>Besides the KyoAni arson, have death threats against artists ever materialized?
No, they're empty air.
>>
>>22778821
Huh? You clearly never played the game, why are you making shit up? You're doing the Kancolle equivalent of "why doesn't Batman just shoot the Joker", if you wanna suggest features maybe try playing the game first?
>>
>>22785719
Those all seem doable though?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.