[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1723984416206.jpg (270 KB, 1080x1440)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
What are you anons watching/reading?
>>
17 eps into Argento Soma. Enjoying it a lot, Takuto is a fucking nutter. After that I’ve got Xabungle queued up but I’ve also been considered DT Eightron as I like the art style
>>
Aldnoah Zero season 2
Its okay. Deserves the 6/10 so far
>>
I've been keeping up with Ultraman Arc, okay series so far, but only because of its exceptional fight scenes. It's really generic otherwise
I watched the first episode of Grendizer U when it aired but haven't watched a single episode since. Keep going back and forth about whether to watch more. There seems to be no enthusiasm for it.
Same with Dragonar, I got through like 10 episodes awhile back and I feel like I should finish it, been sitting on my hard drive for ages, but it just wasn't doing as much for me as I'd hoped
>>
>>22791266
discussing mecha? on /m/?
no way
>>
>>22791259
Grendizer U is pretty good. Each episode has some sort of action or battle, the Photon Lab got an excellent redesign, the enemy Grendizers are pretty cool (though I wish they were used more so far), and the ending is clearly going to have a Mazinger x Grendizer teamup. It's one of the best seasonal mecha shows in years.
>>
>>22791207
Knight lamune 40 fire, fun series althought the mech fights been kinda lackluster the mech look really nice even they left behind the SD aesthetics of the previous show and OVAs

Also about to get back to shinkalion change the world
>>
>>22791207
Not much.
>Agito 43/51
I don't want Inoues wild ride to end. Fighting scenes could use much needed work (specially when compared to Kuuga), but my god the drama is so fucking good and engaging. Every episode leaves me wanting more as the Mystery was slowly unveiled and we learn who Tsugami was.
>Symphogear S1 6/13
Its fun. Don't really care about Hibiki and Miku lesbo drama but the action scenes are pretty fun. Not particularly impressed by it.
Thinking of starting both Zetman and the original Garo Anime after i'm done with what i'm watching. Also thought of giving Knight Run a read, if only to try something different.
>>
>>22791521
>I don't want Inoues wild ride to end.
the hallmark of inoue's works is that the drama is so engaging that you get annoyed sometimes by the required 1 fight per episode
his work on faiz and donbrothers is amazing too
he also made some pretty good kabuto episodes
>>
>>22791225
well this shit was kind retarded. The action and music were cool but Inaho and Slaine were retarded, especially so in Inaho's case.
>>
>>22791352
Have fun with it while you still can.
>>
Been making a lot of megami device kits lately so I guess I'll watch the frame arms girl anime soon
>>
Watching the Demonbane anime, and it's this weird mix of SOL ecchi antics and absolutely stone-cold mecha action. Fortunately the two are easily separated, so I can skip the first half and just go straight to the second half of each episode, which is awesome. It probably would have benefitted from being an OVA or a series of ten-minute web shorts, but oh well. I appreciate that every episode has some action and that Black Lodge has a really cool base. Demonbane reminds me a lot of Aquarion with better MOTWs and weaker writing (one of the things I appreciate about Aquarion is how all the SOL/talking parts tied into the story meaningfully), and I love Aquarion, so that's never a bad thing.
>>
>>22793018
That's some incredibly shit taste you got there, damn.
>>
>>22793018
>Watching the Demonbane anime,
why? it's poorly animated and an extremely overcompressed adaptation
Like even if you only care about the action, there's entire dimensions to that which are missing in the anime since Metatron and Sandalphon got the ax and it's harder to tell how much thought was put into the fights due to the lack of narration
>>
>>22793019
Why? I don't care much for character drama and fanservice, but I liked Aquarion because they made the character drama interesting by making it part of the plot to find out who is the reincarnation of who. Demonbane does not do that in all of its episodes like Aquarion does; the best thing I can say about Demonbane's characters is that Kurou is cool because he looks and sounds like Guy Shishioh.
>>22793021
I'm not into video games, but my curiosity about SRW (I'm watching Demonbane since the creators were allegedly big SRW fans) will probably get me into that, so I may read the Demonbane VN some day. I've already got the two light novels that were translated downloaded, so those will be pretty cool.
>>
>>22793027
>the two light novels that were translated downloaded
don't bother. MTL.
just read the original VN if you're gonna read anything
>>
>>22793018
The only thing of worth that came from the anime was the fantastic soundtrack.
Otherwise, even the original creators more or less disowned it and apparently flat out said "either make it 26 episodes or don't do it at all".
>>
Finished Demonbane, and it was pretty cool. Now I want an SRW where Nyarly is revealed to be Iczer-1 and Al-Azif is revealed to be Big Gold, and the Court of Azathoth contains the souls of humans sealed away by Big Gold and Iczer and Kurou sync to defeat Elder God Demonbane, which is controlled by Al-Azif/Big Gold.
>>
>>22794062
Kill yourself.
>>
Finished Gravion, finally, and while the first part was okay but nothing to write home about (they didn't even have good MOTWs), the second part was amazing -- Sol Gravion is now my favourite ultimate robot, the Gran Troopers were super cool (cooler than the main Gravion), and the ending was great -- basically Goldran with less comedy. I particularly liked the episodes where they use the drills as propellers underwater and Gravion gets captured by Zeravire. I'm watching Dancouga Nova now, and it's very cool -- it already has more cool vehicles than Gravion did (I particularly liked the futuristic taxi because I like taxis, and the racing scene was very cool), but I doubt it will be able to trump Zwei's ending and designs overall.
>>
File: Mizuki wait.png (1.25 MB, 1920x1080)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
Cross Angsty has been consistently fun. Finished Tylor and just have the side-stories to go, the final battle was absolutely stunning. The higher-quality Daiku-Maryu has worse subs, so that's something to live with. Cutie Honey I'll hopefully finish this year. Grendizer is Grendizer.
>>22794620
Glad you liked Gravion! I don't remember much about it anymore, at least plotwise, probably worth a rewatch.
>>
>>22794643
There's not really much plot to it, at least not until Zwei. Dancouga Nova is already better than first Gravion since they already have more varied MOTWs -- these guys are a homage to the propellors from Dorvack! -- and they don't combine into their ultimate form right away; there's more fighting on the ground with the robots (and these robots are way better than the original Dancouga's robots since they're all colourful).
>>
>>22794658
>and they don't combine into their ultimate form right away
are you only one episode in? Because that's not gonna last long
>>
>>22794658
I only remember him trying to find sister, eventual sister reveal, boobymommy was looking for something also... and then the reveals that start happening in Zwei. Can't comment on Dancouga though, think I was dissuaded from Nova though, until at least going over OG and the manga?
>>
>>22794670
I'm on the third episode, and the combination is happening earlier, but that's fine for me. This show is whatpeople should mean by "cool Obari robot show" because this is a good MOTW show! I don't know why people think this is one of Obari's worse shows since this is better than Voogie's Angels, Dangaizer, Gravion S1, Gowcaizer, Prism Ark, Bravern, and all the Fatal Fury stuff.
>>
>>22794694
Of those that you mentioned it's really not better than any of them that I've seen. The initial premise doesn't matter, the characters are boring, it devolves into a pretty bland story where the only threat is a mysterious rival before cramming the true villain into like the last two episodes only
Honestly the barebones post-plot story it got in SRW UX is more interesting than the show itself
>>
finished Baxingar
Should you ever plan to watch it for the Super Robot content you'll be sorely disappointed.
>>
>>22791207
Watching: Virtua Fighter (it has robots, and Mazinger Z.

Reading: Gundam 0083 Rebellion
>>
>>22795672
Does Rouran have yuri too? And have you seen AMDriver? That has a Moderoid too, and it does have giant robots in the form of combining power armours. You should watch Galatt too; it's basically The Mic Sounders Show.
>>
File: 10010852.jpg (31 KB, 271x300)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Stellar Buster/Space Pirate Mito
I'm most of the way through season 1 and it's a cute show .
>>
Finished Watching Cyber Formula Sin. Overall, it was a good conclusion to the franchise.
>>
>duel got a perma
KEK
>>
File: 1494536160008.png (2.52 MB, 1698x1080)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB PNG
I finished up UC Gundam through Hathaway, so I'm moving on to some of the super robot shows in my backlog. I'm about halfway through GaoGaiGar and man I love this kind of 90s cheese. Might watch Getter Robo Armageddon next but I also have a friend pestering me to watch Gundam SEED so I might finally bite the bullet and do that. As for reading I read a few chapters of Crossbone Ghost recently but it didn't grip me like the original/Skull Heart/Steel 7 did so I put it down. Might get back to it at some point though.
>>
>>22795708
>Does Rouran have yuri too?
No idea, I'll tell ya if it pops up.
>AmDriver
Not familiar with it, that a game?

Also forgot to mention
>Byclosser
13 eps, big step up from Machineman
>Changerion
13 eps, the first two were fine in terms of building up horror, but since episode 3 it turned into a comedy for no reason. Lot of foot shots too, weird.
>>
Reading Sworgrader. Photogrizer finally appearing on official media gave me joy.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (174 KB, 650x377)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>22795965
>>
>>22791207
Re-reading Yukikaze. What do I do to have the remaining two novels translated into English?

>>22791225
You'll change your final verdict soon enough.

>>22794620
I gave up after the first season. Was too repetitive with the plot progressing at a snail pace. The characters are also meh.
>>
>>22792551
Slaine was only retarded for being a simp fo so long. Should have hooked up with Lemrina ages ago.
>>
>>22791207

Im rewatching getter robo armageddon, betterman and if i have the time 0083.
Trying to digitize my ld collections so i can make videos for shit like comparisons to other releases.
>>
>>22795965
Aquarionoid hardest hit.
https://desuarchive.org/a/thread/269576553/#q269771404
>>
>>22795965
>duel got a perma
>suddenly no threads get necro'd from page 10 with broken sentences anymore after two days without replies
Well, there are still the **********[1].jpg bot replies, thou.
>>
>>22795965
>>22799680
Wait, an actual perma instead of a typical three day one?
>>
>>22795965
look who is ban-evading again
>>22799765
>>22799748
>>22799731
>>
>>22799771
Yup.
>>22799962
>>
>eps 7 and 8 of Rouran were both clipshows
I'm starting to see why Hirano doesn't do mecha anymore.
>>
>>22796884
Happy to read you're enjoying the King of Braves.
>>
Catching up on Grendizer U.
>>
File: key-the-metal-idol.jpg (165 KB, 718x1024)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>22791207
I have been try been to get into this but I keep getting distracted by life stuff. Episode one was pretty cool but I have no idea where it is going with the setup.
>>22796884
GaoGaiGar is great. I am glad to see somebody else who actually had fun with the first half of the series despite it having a monster of the week formula. The second half and Final are some of the best in the super robot genre so you are in for a good time.
>>
>>22804959
Based, Key is great I hope you enjoy it.
>>
File: Volfogg and Mamoru.jpg (179 KB, 1440x1080)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>22804959
First half of the series had Volfogg being best bot, so there's that.
>>
>>22804959
>I have been try been to get into this
I stroked the fuck out for some reason.
>>
>>22804959
>despite it having a monster of the week formula
>despite
Go watch some other genre.
>>
>>22804963
I am hoping I will. It certainly seems like something that I will enjoy.
>>22804979
I wasn't saying that the formula was something that I had a problem with. I love a good motw show. I have just seen a lot of plebs saying that the series only gets good in the middle when things get more plot driven.
>>
Watched a bunch of OVAs that have been on my backlog way too long recently, and that I've been dreading watching because they have lots of sex stuff:
>J-Phoenix
Easily the worst mecha anime I've finished. The first episode had lots of cool fights and no fanservice, the second episode had a battle in the snow and a broom weapon, and the third episode was just abominable. Ironically, the third episode is why the OVA was subbed -- it has a giant doll robot, which was a thing in the games the OVA was based on, so it attracted a bunch of giantess fetishists.
>Z-Mind
Actually not that bad. The OP was good, and I really liked the hyper-detailed 70s-like MOTWs, the third robot, and the command battleship. It had way too many SOL scenes, which I skipped, the pilots had these weird nude magical girl transformations, and the story was sadly unfinished. I'm still glad I watched it; it had some cool stuff overall.
>Dangaizer 3
One of the most sexualized anime I've ever seen, but it had some cool robots (especially the enemy robot in the second episode and Dangaizer's third form). It's actually not Obari's worst mecha anime; that would be Gravion S1. Surprisingly, I now hope this appears in SRW so that the story can be finished, but that will probably never happen (thanks a lot Aoki Reimu).
>Iczer-3
This is better than Iczer-1 since it had some cool episodic plots (like when they fight the bugs) and there was a big focus on the Earth Defense Forces, making it Ultraman-esque.

My first semester starts soon, so I won't watch a full anime for a while unless it has short episodes (SD Gundam, Hikarian, Rouran, and Transformers Go). I've tried those Korean CGI mecha shows since they have short episodes, but they tend to kind of suck for various reasons, from not enough MOTWs to wasting half the episode on irrelevant talking. Miniforce and Robot Trains are good, though. I might read manga and novels instead. Any /m/ manga/novel/short anime recs?
>>
Here’s a rec Duel. Kill yourself.
>>
Grendizer U episode 6. Good to see there was a good amount of 2D mecha art in that episode.
>>
>>22808367
I don't think that's him, can you imagine him going to college?
>>
>>22791225
Alone? This was a riot to watch with /m/ when it aired, so bad it was fun.
>>
>>22808133
>I've been dreading watching because they have lots of sex stuff
Sir, you are a fetish magnate, a coomer of historic proportions.
>>
>>22809244
Actually, yeah and a few moments later the police busts his ass for trespassing and assault
>>
>>22809312
KEK imagine him at the bathroom telling random people they should watch Great Dangaioh.
>>
Been swapping between real robot and super robot for some months.

>Cross Ange
Not the worst of all time but wouldn't watch again in spite of the gloriously schlocky Cinemax styled T&A.
>G Gundam
Just a little more padded then I recall but i was like 10 or so last time I watched it and even then, first time I didn't miss an episode. Into the rewatch folder it goes.
>Code Geass
Knowing what I know about the rampant quantity of aborted plot threads, I like this a little less but don't hate it. Shoving G Gundam between the seasons was a wise move on my part in light of R2 being R2. No plans on watching that Roze of the Recapture or whatever it's called, and not just because of the absence of nipples.
>Brave Express Might Gaine
I hear this filtered many who tried getting into SRW. Guessing it failed on me as I bothered to watch this. No real desire to rewatch due in part of its overt episodic nature and its ending raising too many questions (for SRW to try to answer...emphasis on TRY) but kid me would've found this a trip if this reached American airwaves in its heyday. Catherine Vuitton a shit to infinity max.
>Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
For real this time, as I don't count my Crossrays playthrough or reading in-game dossiers via SRW V. Past the point where Kira officially hijacks the protagonist role, or episode 40. Likely due to watching this over a year after SEED but it isn't as terrible as so many made it out to be. Still terrible due to the clumsy shift in perspective and am hoping this Freedom movie vindicates the bullshit. I've yet to see how Durandal is the evil one. Also seems to have an issue with panties in regards to skirts except for that one Special Edition rear shot that's a meme unto itself.

As I'm obviously biased towards stuff that's in English SRW games and I'm set to finish GSD next week, it's a coin flip between GaoGaiGar and GunxSword. Probably the former due to the theme song alone and so I can keep the pattern going.
>>
The latest Ultraman Arc episode.
>>
>Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - On the Battlefield with You
This adapts 'what if' stories from a SEED game on GBA, pretty good.
>>
Not /m/.
>>
>>22813273
Welp, just watched Romulus, now it's almost on par with the original quadrilogy. Almost. Another "there's an extra fifteen minutes to this because why?" Humanmorph convinced me Ridley Scott really wanted to remake Alien: Resurrection.
>>
Over the last few days I finished Kamen Rider Gotchard (enjoyed it and was top ten worthy like the last two series), Fena: Pirate Princess (terrible outside of the animation and music), Sirius The Jaeger (fantastic series despite pacing issues and protagonists only being half useful), and The Ambition of Oda Nobuna (aside from not having a proper ending and low quality comedy it was solid). For stuff I'm currently watching:

>Byclosser, 17 eps
So is Gorazonger a second body for Gora or his second in command? Rita is annoying as hell.
>Changerion, 17 eps
The comedy and slow pacing hurt this a lot, it's nowhere near as good as I read on here.
>Rouran, 13 eps
No real complaints, just kind of low budget and mediocre.
>Izetta: The Last Witch, 6 eps
Mostly good, poor animation hinders it. Both it and Sirius had solid first episodes which you don't see often.
>>
Newfag here, watching og Mobile Suit Gundam for the first time; I actually came here to ask when it gets good, but I'm on episode 9 and it's getting good
>>
>>22809295
I watched it alone. Its disappointing. I actually like slow paced political scheming and drama but holy shit Slaine and Inaho are retarded. Music was the only good thing about that show
>>
>>22791207
Currently doing alternating episodes of Nadesico and Mermaid Melody with my wife (female)

Torn between the next /m/ to put on. Looking at:
>Full Metal Panic
>Escaflowne
>Aura Battler Dunbine

Wife is a sucker for magical girls and we like a romance plot that pays off (which I assume happens with FMP given what we saw in SRW V)
>>
>>22819029
Escaflowne is the best of the three.
>>
>>22791207
Currently watching Brain Powerd. It really feels like Tomino's autism is turned up to the extreme here.
>>
>>22819093
Is the movie worth watching as well?
>>
>>22819128
He's trolling you, Escaflowne is little more than female wish fulfillment (though despite that its own romance subplot somehow doesn't go anywhere)
FMP is the only one of those that's even good (and even then it only gets good starting with TSR). Don't expect much romance with it, at least in what has been animated
>>
>>22819128
Yes, but it is a much darker retelling with the same setting. And a really out of nowhere twist with the Char clone is dropped entirely.
>>22819203
I'm not trolling, all three are worth watching Injust recommended the best.
>>
File: niasimonhug857639432.jpg (289 KB, 563x800)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
I rewatched the The Lights in the Sky are Stars today and cried twice.
>>
>>22819305
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkvC_9AJkIU
>>
>>22819305
Based.
>>
>>22819243
>>22819203
Escaflowne is about 10-20 episodes too short. The ending is super rushed. The MC is the most boring part but the action is good. Hitomi doesn't really do anything besides just have a magical necklace and crush over the two princes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRO6dqM-dLM
>>
>>22791207
I stopped on Macross Frontier, at episode 10 around 2 weeks ago. College consumes most of my time. I think I'm going to watch at least 1 episode before going to class today.

testing
>>
>>22819931(me)
Why did Michael's sister had to unalive herself? Didn't she had a little bro to care of?

In other news, I was also watching active raid, but I stopped on episode 3 since a little more than a month ago. Is an okay show so far.
>>
File: 1725476142922.gif (1.61 MB, 500x375)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB GIF
I finally got around to watching Nadesico. Absolutely amazing show, can't believe I put it off for as long as I did.
>>
a 0079 gundam rewatch of the show instead of the movies after 5 years, i was watching unicorn and liking where it was going but know id love it if i went back for a full appreciation of the series
>>
Kamen Rider Gavv's premiere. Definitely liked it more than Gotchard's first episode.
>>
Finished Izetta: The Last Witch this morning, excellent stuff even if the characters and animation were subpar half the time. Also got up to episode 15 with Rouran, there really needs to be some focus here because it feels all over the place. 13 episodes into TechnoBoyager and it's still cool.
>>
>>22823832
Not /m/.
>>
>>22824547
Two thirds of that was /m you silly billy.
>>
>>22830355
If only you killed yourself.
>>
Watched the Triton of The Sea movies over the weekend, they sucked almost as much as the series. As for /m/ stuff:

>Byclosser, 24 eps
Otherwise great series ruined by Sylvia and Rita endlessly bickering every episode. Ugh.
>Changerion, 24 eps
This is probably the most sexist toku series I've ever seen and it is just so unfunny.
>TechnoBoyager, 18 eps
The pacing and action are good, but everything else is pretty average sadly. And TB 11 and 14 not showing up makes no sense, why have 17 vehicles if you're not going to show them all?
>>
I'm working through my list of shows I want to watch because I liked their units in SRW. The next two are Gundam SEED and Cross Ange. Which one will hurt less?
>>
>>22835105
Cross Ange is at least funny
>>
Just finished TechnoBoyager, that was a very underwhelming series. Shadow Axis didn't even show up again and most smaller TBs were reduced to one episode cameos. I can see why this didn't do well back in the day.
>>
>>22791207
Future GPX Cyber Formula. Not sure if I should fuck off to >>>/a/ to discuss it whether it is certified /m/echa.
>>
>>22836326
It's directed by Fukuda and it's about a talking (robotic) AI car. Of course it's /m/!
>>
>>22836339
>>22836363
Thanks guys.

>captcha: T0SS
>>
Finished Byclosser today by marathoning the last nine episodes. What could have been a great series is unfortunately just good. The last nine episodes has Destar running around for money and Ginjiro kept getting in distress forcing Kenjiro to save him. The last episode was awesome though.
>>
Im watching some Cobra and man we just dont get any effort in tv animation anymore.
This shit is over 40 years old and everything looks good and sounds good.
>>
Currently rewatching 0083 afterglow of zeon and im confused about something.
Did they purposely make it darker looking for the same scenes than in the individual episodes or do i have 3 different bad copies of it?
Its like they put window tint over my tv when im watching it.
>>
File: 20240404_114815.jpg (312 KB, 1284x948)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>22791207
Did Bravern ever get an english BD release?
>>
>>22840124
Nowadays when it comes to newer anime getting a physical release, it comes like a year or two after it airs in Japan. This comes from a multitude of reasons
>Dubbing anime takes time if the show didn't have a Simuldub
>Studios don't want people in Japan reverse-importing the US bluray release since US releases are generally less expensive and take up less shelf space than Japan's "Two-three episodes released at $50 every month for a few months until the whole thing is out, then we'll rerelease it all together in a special edition bundle a few years later where the only new thing included is the cover art" model.
>Western distributors need to see what shows will sell well in the west and are actually worth publishing discs for
Using Sentai Filmworks as an example (Since it's either gonna be them or Crunchyroll releasing it on Bluray in the US, and I don't see Crunchyroll putting out a niche mecha anime any time soon and Sentai put out fucking Dai-Shogun of all things) here's their October/November preorders for this year (Not counting rereleases of shows they've published before and Galient which is just an outlier in terms of when these shows all came out)
>The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen (2023)
>Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero (2023)
>The Vexation of a Shut-In Vampire Princess (2023)
>Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)
>The Dreaming Boy is a Realist (2023)

Expect a Bravern BD release a year or two from now.
>>
Just watched Strange Magic after putting it off for nine years, the art and animation were top notch but the music was weird, these sounded like songs you'd hear on the radio, not something characters would sing.
>>
>>22841087
>these sounded like songs you'd hear on the radio
Uh, anon
>>
>>22809295
>A.Z s2 and G-Reco airing at the same time
That was one hell of a noisy time to be on /m/
>>
Kyatto Ninden Teyandee episode 14 and damn, they got their power-ups quite early.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.