[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: heroicage.jpg (251 KB, 1920x1080)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
What is your favorite forgotten 2000's mecha? Everyone remembers stuff like Seed, 00, Geass or TTGL, but what about the Heroic Ages, Gigantic Formulas, Gad Guards, or Mars Daybreaks?
>>
>>22833581
Easily Genesis of Aquarion.
>>
>>22833581
Eureka Seven if that counts as forgotten.

If not that then probably Mars Daybreak or King Gainer.
>>
>>22833581
Heroic Age is a high contender. Bellcross was so cool and criminally underappreciated. Especially in retard power level circles.
>>
File: kotetsushin_jeeg.jpg (497 KB, 1500x948)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
Is Jeeg considered forgotten? I mean it did come out around the same time as Gurren Lagann, though I don't think it gets talked about as much.
>>
>>22833617
Eureka Seven still gets some threads.

>>22833581
Gravion
>>
>>22833621
Why do you care what "retard power level circles" think? The real crime is people forgetting about the sweet artillery ships anyway.
>>22833630
It never felt like there was much to say about Shin Jeeg. It's very straightforward in what it is and does it fairly well.
>>
File: 1326776569194.jpg (15 KB, 151x252)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
I don't know how much of it I'd say is forgotten but I have mentioned in the past how I worry that this whole era is becoming something of a loss generation, especially in regards to the SRW series. Perhaps it was just all bad timing but it feels like a lot of things that came out here are somehow too new to be nostalgic but not new enough to be considered classic so they just kind of get overlooked in favor of the most famous series and whatever the new hotness happens to be. And this was still a bit too early for things to really take off on social media too so even when there was interest or material it gets over shadowed.
>>
>>22833581
Plenty! Machine Robo Rescue, Dendoh, SD Gundam Force, Gaiking LODM, F-Zero, and DICE if we're talking kids' shows. If we're talking more mature shows, then Gravion Zwei, Dancouga Nova, Kiss Dum, FLAG, the ICE OVA, Tideline Blue, Last Exile, and the aformentioned Heroic Age are all amazing. STRAIN, Divergence Eve, Olynssis, and Viper's Creed were all good, but not the masterpieces the previous ones were. I've heard people say good things about Blassreiter (Urobutcher's VN-like Kamen Rider anime), Gatekeepers, and GadGuard, so you may want to check those out -- we really didn't appreciate Gonzo enough.
>>22833607
I wouldn't call Aquarion forgotten; a new anime is in production. It was really good, though; it's one of my favourite 2000s adult anime.
>>22833630
TTGL overshadowed Jeeg, Gaiking, and Dancouga Nova, which is a shame since I like the latter three shows way better than TTGL.
>>22833617
I liked Tideline Blue and Submarine 707R are
>>
File: 35_1024_768.jpg (93 KB, 1024x768)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>22833680
>we really didn't appreciate Gonzo enough.
No, sir. We did not.
>TTGL overshadowed Jeeg, Gaiking, and Dancouga Nova, which is a shame since I like the latter three shows way better than TTGL.
We actually got a fair bit those years in terms of shows. So if anyone was wonder why there was so much resentment for TTGL well there you go.
>>
>>22833680 (cont)
I thought Tideline Bue and Submarine 707R were better underwater shows than Mars Daybreak -- maybe because it was too similar to King Gainer.
>>22833679
There weren't many mecha shows from this time anyway, and most of the ones that came out were fairly forgettable. Of course SRW will focus on the newest shows Bandai wants to promote and the classics everyone loves; more people nowadays would play a lineup of, say, CCA, Votoms, Combattler, J-Decker, Bravern, and AMAIM than something like SEED, Aquarion, Olynssis, Machine Robo Rescue, STRAIN, and Gigantic Formula.
>>
>>22833691
My issue with TTGL is that it feels like a battle shonen and less like a typical mecha -- ironically, this is probably why it's so popular; it's a battle shonen plot condensed into 26 episodes, which means it doesn't suffer from filler, stupid retcons, or seasonal rot like many battle shonen. Dancouga Nova has cooler robots and a better storyline, Gaiking LODM is just fun, and Shin Jeeg is more hype throughout (Hiroshi can go without air as a normal human while Simon needs to be in a super galaxy god form).
>>
>>22833699
>TTGL feels like a battle shonen and less like a typical mecha
What kind of fucking retard would say that.
>>
>>22833694
>AMAIM
Almost had me.
>>
>>22833717
I don't agree with what he said but I think I can almost see what he's getting on about even if it's retarded.
>>
>>22833730
TTGL was popular because it was shiny, loud and bombastic, not because it was "shonen".
>>
>>22833750
potayto potahto
>>
>>22833691
Meia was definitely best Vandread girl.
>>
>>22833581
so wait did Age come for her at the end and she pretty much ditched everyone? I assume she did what she had to do and now she could go be with the one she loved
>>
>>22833699
Isn't Hiroshi a cyborg?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (197 KB, 1280x720)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>22835221
Yeah. Pretty much. the labors completed. the universe was at peace. and all was peachy.
They even fulfilled their promise to restore Age's old home. How nice.
>>
>>22833581
I don't think I've ever seen someone here talk about Rinne no Lagrange after it aired
>>
>>22835270
it's been brought up a few times. At least more often than Strain. Though often the discussion is in regards to the lesser season 2.
>>
File: 09.jpg (522 KB, 1440x1080)
522 KB
522 KB JPG
Rahx
>>
I miss the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rpqPgbMaQ&t=
>>
New Getter feels like it fell through the cracks when compared to Armageddon or Shin vs Neo, but it's one of my faves.
>>
>>22837532
I like New a lot but Armageddon being the SRW golden child really kind of went a long way to lock it down in people's minds. Shin Vs Neo probably stands out more for being a bit breezier but even it gets sidelined just as bad sometimes.
>>
Gunparade Orchestra, comfy as fuck
>>
>>22837548
I actually don't remember Orchestra all that much.
>>
>>22833680
>mature
>Gravion
lol, lmao even
>>
Samurai 7 was pretty cool. How I miss Gonzo.
>>
>>
Heroman
>>
>>22833621
>>
>>22842240
>Hey, Time Travel enemy. Why not just use time travel to kill him when he's not expecting it.
>I did. It only made him made.
>>
>>
File: 2009120803511368a.jpg (416 KB, 1280x720)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>22833581
I love Heroic Age, but my favourite /m/ with an angela OP is Asura Cryin'. It was literally a typical non-OG Super Robot Wars story as an anime.

Man, Alternative is such a great OP.
>>
>>22842295
I swear I've seen this but I forgot like literally everything that happened and I'm pretty sure some weird shit happened.
>>
File: sorakake01c.jpg (26 KB, 400x225)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Everyone remembers Fafner, right? Then Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo.
>>
bakuretsu tenshi
>>
>>22833581
My favorites of the ones I've watched are Rahxephon, Dendoh and (unironically) Kanazuki no Miko, been planning to watch machine robo rescue, gunparade march, Goddanar and war on geminar in the next few months.
>>
>>22833699
>My issue with TTGL is that it feels like a battle shonen and less like a typical mecha
Can you elaborate? I'm struggling to read the rest of your post after that..
>>
>>22844415
The problem isn't in the shows he likes you filthy zoomoid nigger, it's the fact he's allowed to spam the same images for close to a decade without any repercussions.
>>
>>22842344
Soaring cake girl cemented my hate for mind control as a plot element.
>>
>>22844415
kys
>>
Halo Legends was a pretty niche mecha anime.
>>
>>22842295
Really? I didn't know that; it sounds interesting. I always thought it was a typical harem LN adaptation but with robots.
>>22842344
I dropped this because it was just stupid, but I liked the fire robot guy.
>>
>>22846378
>dropped this because it was just stupid
As someone that finished it Space Leapt Through That Girl really was one of the absolute worst things Sunrise ever released. Turns out it had the same crew as the Main dualogy.
>>
>>22846378
>Really? I didn't know that; it sounds interesting. I always thought it was a typical harem LN adaptation but with robots.

>High-school setting
>Paranormal and eldritch backdrop
>Mecha musumes
>Dimension shenanigans

And that's on top of the giant robot fights. Sounds like SRW to me.
>>
>2000s character designs
Whatever this business is, it is not okay.
>>
I kinda hate this era because they moved on from cels to digital coloring and the shows just look like shit most of the time because of this and usually they were made in a low resolution anyway in comparison to actual film
>>
>>22848033
I don't know how much I can blame them for it as technology can be hard to predict but they really didn't future proof themselves.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.