[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Quasar.gif (1.85 MB, 300x185)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB GIF
Greetings, /m/. I come to you in search of lore.

I'm trying to determine when the concept of an S-Rank meaning something above A in value or quality came about. The earliest reference to an S Rank I can find is in the lore of Megaman X, where Hunters are ranked alphabetically but the super cool lunatic special-forces type people are ranked as Special A, later truncated to SA and eventually just S. The problem is, Megaman and especially the X series is a love letter to half a century of /m/ media, and I cannot possibly comb every fan wiki of every setting to try and find some obscure in-setting terminology.

I ask you, do you know of any instances of the S Rank classification that are from before 1993?
>>
>>22836954
that's just how japs rank stuff, S being the best.
>>
File: point.jpg (136 KB, 980x550)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>22836954
>I'm trying to determine
No. You're not. I found the answer with two seconds on google. So no, you are not trying. You are a lazy retarded asshole who wants people to answer questions for them like a child. It took zero effort to look this up. Fuck you, you miserable lazy waste of your father's ambition.
>>
S means Super
>>
>>22836959
I know, I'm specifically asking 'since when?' I don't see any references to it in media earlier than MMX, and no other place it's appeared has ever had an actual explanation for what S is supposed to mean.

>>22836960
I am digging through actual papers on the origin of the Japanese academic grading system to find out why the fuck they have a S rank at all. Megaman X is still the earliest example I can think of it being used in-universe to categorize personnel, which is something Capcom would later go on to do in many of their IPs, probably bleeding out into normiespace through the fighting game community. You've got random middle aged women using Tiermaker (a fighting game staple) to rank breeds of cat now.

>>22836966
The best I have for what it meant is just a phonetic reference to the Japanese grade of Shu, which was higher than their A equivalent, but that's just conjecture.
>>
>>22837000
No, it means Super.
>>
>>22837014
Powerful argument. I concede on the condition SSS means Smokin Sexy Style and not some gacha rarity shit.
>>
>>22837016
What about SS?
>>
>>22837024
Bannable outside of /b/ and /trash/.
>>
File: 1493888601325 -ss-.png (14 KB, 452x500)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>22837026
Look at this fag, look at him and laugh.
>>
>>22837024
Super Sentai?
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_Japan

SSSuck my cock, faggot.
>>
>>22838265
Read the thread, faggot.
>>
>>22838267
No.
>>
>>22836954
Megaman X6 had GA, PA and UH ranks
Also why everything has to be at 120%?
>>
File: 4d25e1b50f54.jpg (1.42 MB, 912x1157)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>22838258
Schutzstaffel.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.