[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Everyone knows that a mecha anime with characters named after WW2 vessels is kino, but what's the origin of it? Who did it first?

Bonus points for whoever can whip up a screencap of an anime or manga stating this undisputable fact.
>>
Sorry. I'm a big fan of mecha but I haven't hung around here...
>>
>>22843357
It could also just be someone who is a very dedicated hater
>>
>>22843357
>Spambot
Kek zoomers are so technologically ignorant.
>>
>>22843438
He got called a tourist once and is now eternally seething.
>>
File: 1600113222767.jpg (461 KB, 1197x839)
461 KB
461 KB JPG
>>22843454
Not at all! No skin off my back. I only posted >>22843344 and >>22843369.

If anything I am just sad that nobody more knowledgeable could tell me about that WW2 ship name thing.
>>
>>22843499
Sorry if I couldn’t help, but I do have an idea, maybe the name came from space battleship Yamato possibly? That series was heavily influential to later mecha series
>>
File: nge_manga_volume_1_anno.png (497 KB, 1001x776)
497 KB
497 KB PNG
>>22843628
I know that NGE had it because of "a rule." To be fair, '95 doesn't exactly narrow down the options for origin.
>>
>>22843724
>because of "a rule."
Are you autistic or just ESL?
>>
>>22843737
I think you are the one who is being autistic here.
A rule in this context means a tradition. A meme.
>>
Original Gundam pilots were apparently named after WW2 fighters, but I ain't seeing the connection. Then again, I am not a super WW2 nerd so that's on me...
>>
>>22844823
sounds like bs
>>
>>22844823
>>22848507
Kai Shiden is the name of the N1K2-J "Shiden-Kai" but backwards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawanishi_N1K?useskin=vector

Amuro's surname "Ray" is phonetically the same as "rei" which can mean zero, and there's the famous A6M "Zero" fighter

That said, whether these are intentional or incidental are completely fucking unknown, like no one has ever posted a book quote or interview from the Sunrise staff that confirms this. You can find a bunch of unintentional similarities and parallels in lots of fictional media, and even more than that if you fudge things a bit until they're vague and blurry enough to match up. This shit isn't as obvious as nearly all the Gundam Wing characters being named after numbers which is really consistent and hard to miss.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.