[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Daring_Do_ID_S7E18.png (276 KB, 620x625)
276 KB
276 KB PNG
Does anyone else have a fascination with loners in this show? There aren't many of them, I can't even really think of more besides the dude with the bucket on his head. But MLP is primarily a show about friendship, community, social cooperation etc, so simply by contrast it makes the loner characters and their thought processes interesting.

Especially cuz since Pony society is SO friendly and the ponies themselves are so pleasant and welcoming, that the only way you can NOT have friends in this world is if you're either some sort of scary monster/outcast that people avoid out of fear, OR you'd need to be someone who is literally so dedicated to solitude that you'd voluntarily avoid all relationships even tho there's numerous easy valid options for social connection everywhere. I'm either case, I find such characters fascinating.

Who else do you think counts as a loner?
>>
>>41256225
She works alone, so in some sense she is, but I don't think she's a lonely loner.
Moondancer has friends now.
Trixie also.
I'm having a hard time thinking of one actually, other than a few ponies used for sidegags, like Whoa Nelly.
I'd like to know more if there are any.
>>
>>41256225
Zecora before Bridle Gossip, since nobody in Ponyville would talk to her.
Loose Tracks, the crazy pony at the train station in both Sounds of Silence and Growing Up is Hard to Do. Even Big Jim says he's lonely: https://twitter.com/TheBiggestJim/status/1066375301955907584
Maybe Cranky before A Friend in Deed? He had friends before, but he moved to Ponyville to "for some peace and quiet and privacy, to be alone with [his] memories."
>>
>>41256225
In a lot of ways, Rainbow Dash is a loner. Even according to faust's early sketches, sometimes she just disappears on long flights, nopony knows where she goes. She's very guarded and careful to keep up outward appearances even around her closest friends - the moments where she actually allows her mask to drop and show real vulnerability are rare and dramatic, like in Tanks For The Memories. It's a remarkably consistent element of her character, and I think it's a major point of attraction, one of the reasons she was so popular among the early brony crowd and still has so many waifufags today. There's a mystery and depth there that we all want to engage with, a part of her that deserves love and never gets exposed to it - a part which we can project our ideals onto.
>>
File: 3396902.png (12 KB, 1200x1200)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>41256225
Trixie's attitude made her a loner. Her job moving around all the time didn't exactly help anything or let her grow roots somewhere either.

But I mean, couldn't you even consider Twilight a loner before the first episode? She actively shunned her friends in order to study. Or would she not count because she has her family, Cadance, Celestia, and what friends that did want to hang out with her? I guess she even had Spike.
>>
>>41256225
Well there's this I guess
>>
>>41256225
Tbh out of my head I cannot recall any truly lonely characters. Since most of them got "redeemed" and became more social
>>
>>41257032
I love these kind of charts
>>
Luna is the most lonerish Pony I can think of
>>
>>41257032
I like this chart
Needs more characters
>>
>>41256939
I like your idealized interpretation of the character but I always got the impression RD was the clingy type who doesn't like to be alone for long periods
>>
>>41258661
>Especially cuz since Pony society is SO friendly and the ponies themselves are so pleasant and welcoming.....

I suppose this is where the answer lies. You're not gonna find loner characters in Ponyland, so look at other places. If you want loners, try Griffons.

Most Griffons have that weird little unhealthy mentality of believing that relying on other people is a display of weakness. Griffons want to appear tough so they present themselves as unfriendly. There would naturally be a lot of loners in the Griffon race because they don't typically have the courage to be open up or be vulnerable around other people. Many Griffons would (mistakenly) think being a loner makes them cool/strong/whatever

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.