[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mlp/ - Pony

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Ever since MLP:FiM premiered, it has consistently been far less popular in the United States than Spongebob according to Google Trends. However, there was a brief window in which MLP was able to give Spongebob a run for its money. That was during MLP season 4, in which MLP was at peak popularity, and Spongebob was on a massive hiatus in which only a few episodes premiered.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2013-12-29%202014-05-19&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0czdsgs,%2Fm%2F07vqnc&hl=en

The best few month window of time I could find for MLP was from 12/29/2013 through 5/19/2014. There are definitely days or week long periods in this time where MLP was flat out ahead, but I wanted to go with a months long period so the data is better. Although MLP was still behind Spongebob naturally, it wasn't behind by much. And the state map reveals an interesting regional pattern, in which while being behind in the rest of the country MLP:FiM dominates the Pacific and Mountain states (some by landslides, best state for MLP was Utah where it was at 70% of searches). What caused this? I have no clue. Any theories for the regional differences present on this map? Check out the above link to see more details, including a map of the individual metro areas. Note that one or two 50/50 states may have different colors under that link versus my screenshot. When states are nearly tied on Google Trends, the results can randomly flip colors on the map due to being so close.
>>
what the fuck is the point of this?
>>
>>41257524
I love data and maps, so I have fun playing around with Google Trends. It's a super cool program, it allows you to compare the popularity of any two things with each other.
>>
>>41257519
And if you are curious, here's how much electoral votes each side would get here (Blue is MLP, Red is Spongebob). MLP solidly loses, but holds its base of strong regional support in the Pacific and Mountain states, as well as Northern New England and a few Great Plains states.
>>
>>41257519
and here's the metro map
>>
>>41257519
Spongebob was lightning in a bottle
>>
>>41258018
So was MLP:FiM. If MLP:FiM came out earlier or later, its fandom would have been nowhere near as big.
>>
>>41257519
Interesting, I was under the impression that MLP was the biggest franchise in the world. So Spongebob is king? Is there any other that is even larger?
>>
>>41257519
Lightning was Spongebottle in a pony
>>
File: fr.jpg (10 KB, 750x414)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>41258174
>>
>>41257567
Would MLP win with popular vote?
>>
>>41258211
Nope. But it's close.
>>
>>41257519
Absolute Mormon W
>>
>>41257519

What's with Mongolia? This was for 2014 btw. Is it juts because the country was really into horses to begin with?
>>
>>41258309

Someone's probably noticed this before
>>
>>41257529
Any way to export your findings to a tabular format? Could be interesting to get some MLP datasets going.
>>
>>41258686
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2010-10-01%202024-07-24&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0czdsgs&hl=en

Here's a page just showing the popularity of MLP in the United States from October 2010 to now. Each section has options to export to csv (overall popularity by time as well as by metro areas or states). What type of data are you interested in finding?
>>
>>41258313
>Mercator Projection

They really couldn't have used a better map projection for this? This isn't like Google Maps where preserving local direction matters, so I don't see why they didn't use something like the Robinson projection
>>
>>41257519
Do the western states have younger populations? That's the only thing I can think of
>>
>>41258018
why do you believe Spongebob started at the perfect time?
>>
>>41260348
Probably standardisation (silly I know)
>>
>>41257567
In the west, but in a Spongepilled metro
>>
>>41261609
You in southern California?
>>
>>41259632
>What type of data are you interested in finding?
Not sure yet. It’s just that I noticed a lack of mlp show/fandom datasets that weren’t specifically geared towards deep learning applications. There’s been a lot of things said of the fandom over the years but many of them never involve some concrete stats. Some google trends would be cool, although I think getting youtube metadata would be even more interesting. Visualise the rise and fall of certain pony media, detect associations between channels based on viewer subs list, and so on. Data science stuff or something along those lines.
>>
>>41258309
>Mongolia
No surprise there, their ancient religion believed that everyone has a little horse inside them and that they have to "feed" the horse so it'd surpass their human body when they die.
>>
>>41262445
You might want to make a thread about that stuff
>>
File: 1713244621695318.png (150 KB, 1435x1133)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>41257519
>Utah was one of the biggedt ponyfag states
>them Mormons know what's up
Based?
>>
>>41257524
This - who gives a fuck. Post pony.
>>
>>41258174
Man. I want to be in a pony.
>>
>>41263006
I wanted to at some point but this sort of thing has to be presented right the first time or it’ll be hard to gain interest. Also right now real life is making this hard to maintain if this takes off.
>>
>>41258309
Mongols are simply based.
>>
>>41257519
>Note that one or two 50/50 states may have different colors under that link versus my screenshot.

Yep, I clicked on your link and Texas flipped to MLP on mine and Minnesota flipped to Spongebob. Which is a net gain for MLP going by electoral votes

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.