[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 5zw32.jpg (4 KB, 150x150)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
I'm gen Z and I NEVER got this.
I can sorta get it for African Americans (my brother-in-law is black) but there are white zoomers that talk like African Americans right down to the slang and accent and it wierds me out.
I'm not a fan of rap. I can listen to it but it's not something I seek out, so when I go online and see these people talk about how these rappers are geniuses I get confused. It's everywhere and I honesty feel left out.
I'm autistic so maybe that's why I don't get it.
>>
"style over substance" has been a common trend among modern youth for at least a century, and current rap music is the most potent example of this trend
>>
>>121552725
Because that’s the prevailing culture and people like songs about balling hard. If you think about it rap is a bastion of masculinity. Is based.
>>
Its been pushed heavily into the mainstream for decades now because its very cheap to produce and easier to make. Basically the McDonald's of music.
>>
>>121553089
Exactly at one point it was metal bands and before that it was rugged country singers
>>
>>121553089
>>121552780
Decent answers here. OP you should tap out now before you get a lot of comments about jewish social control
>>
>>121552725
They're teenagers who want to fit in and get laid while rebelling against their elders. Rap is what's big, rappers get laid, and most importantly, there's a never-ending battle cry from chuds, soccer moms, and the elderly about rap being "le crap."

This will all flip on its head, though once millennials are the generation in charge and there are no Boomers and Xers left to rebel against. At that point, some other genre will be in full control of the youth (btw it won't be K-Pop or Latin Pop/Reggaeton because millennials like that. It'll probably be some nu-Drill offshoot with reggaeton infusions).
>>
>>121552725
they want to appear hip and be part of the cultural conversation so they listen to a bunch and become "educated" and take on vocal affectations and dress like mac demarco or whatever

it's partially a "I'm not racist" ploy but mostly just an "I'm hip" ploy

you can enjoy rap without making it part of your identity but this is an extreme difficulty challenge for most youths
>>
File: 8585bchc9uca1.png (224 KB, 480x360)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
>>121552725
>why are zoomers obsessed with rap
because they're not that different from millennials
>>
>>121552725
rappers are the new definition of cool, like how rockstars use to be. The new rap doesn't do much for me, maybe the older stuff can
>>
>>121552725
Because they are looking for folk music like the good old times and like the heart knows best. However the closest thing to folk they can find is Rap.
>>
>>121552725
it's narcissistic music for a narcissist generation
>>
>>121554281
this, the mid-90s was the transition period, when rock became uncool and was replaced by rap, after that even rock bands were rapping (Linkin Park...etc)
>>
>>121552725
Because it's been the dominant radio format for several decades+the current dominant street drugs are shit like Adderal and Xanax.
>"I can sorta get it for African Americans (my brother-in-law is black)"

I mostly only listen to Hip Hop around my friends who are Black and the rest of the time I'm listening to Psychedelia or Black Metal/Neofolk or maybe like Prog or Classical. I'm part German and live in Massachusetts and am pretty sure I am not an outlier in this either. Literally only listen to Rap when I'm around Black People. Feels rude to tell them to put on Impaled Nazarene lol.

>"but there are white zoomers that talk like African Americans right down to the slang and accent and it wierds me out."

Yeah this is a form of larping and it's deeply emberassing. It's a "cooler" (except not really) version of white kids who pretended to be Japanese in The 2000s. It's like "I don't know about real life yet and cannot tell I'm emberassing myself" type of thing.

>"I can listen to it but it's not something I seek out, so when I go online and see these people talk about how these rappers are geniuses I get confused. It's everywhere and I honesty feel left out.
I'm autistic so maybe that's why I don't get it."

It is 100% because you are Autistic. They're saying they're geniuses for the lyrical content mostly which tbf to be genuinely good at rapping you actually do have to have decent lyrics otherwise it's going to suck regardless.
>>
>>121557100
>>121554281
I still listen to rock but I also do a lot of drugs or have which I think might reflect this or just does in terms of lifestyle choices. I used to trip constantly.
>>
>>121552725
CIA sponsered niggerfication of white culture, it's the second step after they niggerfied black culture in the 90s the same way
>>
>>121557695
You're retarded for genuinely believing this mostly because Country Music is more popular than it has bene in quite a while. Also because The CIA planted crack in black communities.
>>
>>121552725
>white zoomers that talk like African Americans right down to the slang and accent and it wierds me out.
Because their parents are shit and have been brainwashed to believe that asking your kid to talk correctly is a form of bigotry. The teachers wouldn't dare correct their grammar, either. In a few years from now, young Dr Lexus will be telling his patients that their thyroid is mid, no cap on a stack frfr.
>>
>>121557748
No it's because of the fetishization of "exotic" cultures. Ironically enough the same reason Black Musicians from the late 60s and Early 70s larped like they were British.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.