[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 84m3n4f.png (2.37 MB, 1446x1520)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB PNG
Rick Rubin BTFO!
>>
>>121567716
By who?
>>
>>121567716
>B-BUT HIS AUDIENCE IS HECKIN' [describes literally everyone's audience including his own]!!!!!
>>
>whom
I HATE THIS GUY SO MUCH. MAKE BETTER MUSIC!
>>
>>121567716
this is true

Rick is not an artist and is not to be taken seriously on this topic. He is a failed musician who became a producer. Failed musicians cant think about music in objective terms, and thats why you get people like Nicosperg using grandiose yet meaningless vocab to describe music. If you cant talk about music objectively, you are a pseud

Jacob makes challenging music (as indicated by all the people who seethe about it here)

Rick Rubin just turns metal songs into pop songs and compresses them to all hell

there is more talent in Jacob pinky than Rick Rubin could ever muster.
>>
>>121567716
Reign In Blood > Anything this Chinese homo will ever make.
>>
>>121567716
Why is Jacob Collier dressed like a poofter? He looks like he raided Harry Styles’ wardrobe.
>>
>>121567761
Jacob Collier's fans are musicians, actually
>>
>>121567716
Damn Jacob Collier's starting to look less twinky
>>
>>121567716
Bros I'm conflicted
I don't know who to side with
On one hand, Collier is an unlikeable muppet who makes the audio equivalent of fidget spinners for weird homocoded autismo 3deep5u sperglords, but on the other, Rubin is a disgusting jew nepogrifter with no redeeming qualities other than the fact that he's likely to die first.
Isn't there some way they could quietly annihilate one another, so that neither one troubles anyone else ever again?
>>
>>121567716
jacob collier/rick rubin beef wasnt on my bingo card but its fucking hilarious
>>
>>121567856
Musician =/= creative
>>
>>121568454
>>121567716
I never heard of Jacob Collier before this thread, looked up his music. It's the equivalent of a SUNO.AI collage.
>>
>>121567716
Holy shit Collier has losing it
>>
>>121567716
Rick Rubin blown by the faggoty one? Didn't realize Rick swang that way.
>>
>>121567856
(and that's a bad thing)
Some musicians have such warped ways of listening to music. They often have a fixation on certain details or concepts, yet a total disregard for anything they didn't learn about. Even if they like simple music, it's mind-blowing to them that simple music can be good and they feel the need to bring that up.
>>121567804
Jacob is more talented, Rick was the right man at the right time. Rick will have a legacy, Jacob won't.
>>
>>121567804
But I've never heard of Jacob Colleeyay, also I've never had to clean another man's shit out of my urethra. What's that like?
>>
>>121567804
>Jacob makes challenging music
No he doesn't, he is an awful musician with seemingly no interest in writing a good song.

>>121567856
Bad musicians, music school kids fixated on irrelevant concepts that have nothing to do with the art.

>>121570483
I know what you mean but I don't think Collier is talented, he's a bad musician. A talented artist can come up with something good even if their technical ability is very very limited. (Songs that are three chords and the truth for example)
Jacob is the polar opposite of that.
>>
>>121567716
He’s right
>>
>>121568454
yeah, it's like the conflict in Gaza--- if only there was a way both sides could lose.
>>
>>121567716
they're having a mid-off
>>
>>121567716
ironic that this little twink disagrees with Rick's suggestion that you should not be writing for a specific audience...

Collier's only audience are music majors, the guy is way too autistic to know what any audience would want to hear.

I'm a fan of Rick Rubin, but I will admit that his book was pretty half-assed. He basically just says "go smell the roses".
>>
>>121567716
sounds like he's attacking listeners more than rick himself
>>
>rumor comes out that Rick Rubin is MAGA'd out and fly af
>homofaggot spews AIDS at him
on cue
>>
>>121571343
That's the beautiful thing about war: both sides do lose
>>
I hate to say it but no one should talk shit on rick rubin, like it or not he's been onhand for hundreds of successful albums that have been made, obviously he's got a secret sauce that people like.
>>
>>121568491
It makes perfect sense if you think about it. They’re complete opposites of each other. Collier is very talented but has no taste, Rubin has no talent but great taste.
>>
>>121571511
Meaning they're perfectly complementary and should collaborate.
>>
>>121567716
WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN
>>
>>121571471
In general, it's often quite valuable to have a mediator between the artist and the audience.

He's the talentless hack that everyone says he is, yet the music industry has always needed people like this.
It's like a coach for high level athletes... haven't you seen Ted Lasso?

Artists need to be pushed, but they still need to coddled a bit. They'll only accept that treatment from a 'rock star producer'.
>>
>>121567804
please inform us of what philosophies Jacob is referring to?
>>
>>121572350
It's a response to Rubin basically saying you shouldn't write for the audience but just yourself
He's implying that to Rubin's audience of Lowest Common Denominators who don't really know music, it doesn't matter, but when you make complex music for people who understand music, it's a good thing to engage them

He also (rightfully) calls him a hypocrite since he is constantly being hired to make sure artists' products have the most mass appeal possible

Starts at 1:11:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rvDA3MARk&t=4282s
>>
>>121567716
Can somebody date this fag and break up with him, or punch him in the face so he starts putting his talents into good music?
>>
Jacob Collier: serial killers now have a common goal
>>
>literally who SLAMS literally who
ok
>>
>”his audience”
Does he think Rick Rubin puts out his own albums or something? Does he not know he’s a producer that’s worked with a ridiculous number of artists? Does Jacob actually know he is?
>>
Honestly this petulant little shit has his jimmies rustled just because he can't BELIEVE that heccin RICK RUBIN can be so essential, so NEEDED by the industry, and yet... He does it all - without having to know a lick of any gobbledygook reverse harmonica hyper-mega-mixolydian self congratulatory, naval gazing NICKELODEON FRANK ZAPPA fucking goopty slop tier NONSENSE.

He can't believe, that RICK RUBIN is capable of helping create SMASH HIT ALBUMS without that fucking XL egg-head noggin just swimming with the latest "music theory", just dying to burst out, like a yolk

I mean how could CREATIVITY come to someone like RICK RUBIN without using a backwards keyboard rigged to a harpejji while playing a U-bass and singing micro-tonally?

I mean HOW can RICK RUBIN do all this, when being creative for RICK is just a NOVELTY???

Does he even know the first thing about being the literal manifestation of a rug rats intro fused to a whoopy cushion? How can you even call your self a PRODUCER if you don't use your MOUTH to create NOVEL SOUNDS like REVERSE PAINT or a BACK FLIPPING HORSE?

>AUTISTIC HARMONIZING INTENSIFIES

>DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A WIGGLE IS, RICK
>>
Rick Rubin fans be like, "Here is my opinion on how you should produce your song, except I describe anything vaguely and have absolutely no music experience whatsoever."

Fucking get out of the studio.
>>
>>121579817
His credentials say otherwise
>>
>>121571471
He's definitely just the psychedelic supplier of the music industry right now.
>>
>>121579836
Who's? The Rick Rubin fans interpreted as an individual? Are you the one who bothers the artists in the studio? tsk tsk tsk
>>
>>121567716
first time i agree with this faggot
>>
File: 1548785130820.jpg (25 KB, 418x475)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>121567716
>rick rubin lookin' fly for a rabbi
This "conflict" sounds like paid marketing. No such thing as bad publicity. Jacob Collier could get thrashed or he could do the thrashing, doesn't matter, as long as it gets people talking. There's nothing worse for a product than dead silence. Outrage sells, petty conflicts sells, fucking anything sells. If /mu/ anons who dislike Jacob really, truly dislike him, you'd stop engaging with threads like this and anything else with him. That goes for all the shit music that infests this board, or the shit games on /v/, or the shit movies and shows on /tv/. One little trick is to starve their supply of attention.
>>
>>121580106
This "conflict" is hardly even a conflict, let alone paid marketing. Musicians used to talk way worse shit about each other all the time. We're so pussyfied and used to musicians being respectful that we find it shocking when someone expresses a genuine opinion halfway through a 2 and a half hour podcast.
>>
>>121567716

I'm thrilled that jacob's arrogance is floating to the surface, hopefully he'll outright be screaming at audience members for being morons in a few more years. and then we'll discover why he's been wearing goon pants the whole time.
>>
>>121580508
I can't remember and have never enjoyed a single part of any Jacob Collier song, but jesus christ, people get unreasonably angry at him.
>>
>>121580549
your time is coming, collier moderate
>>
>>121580549
I hate his fans more than I hate him. That being said, his music is horrific and needs to be tested for radiation levels considering how sickly it is
>>
>>121567839
Because he's gay lmao.
>>
>>121567804
word
>>
>>121567839
He looks gay but also like some 1970s childrens tv show host
>>
>>121573917
I think i understand what Rick Rubin was trying to say and i think it's similar to >>121572900
You don't want an artist to self-edit. Many artists are highly critical and insecure about their work. You want all that raw emotion and feeling and then you can edit it later and help release it to the masses. Trying to right for a specific audience forces you into a box. It's a good experiment, but nothing is going to be as emotionally impactful as something that came straight from your heart.

You do have to consider your audience, but you don't want to come across as inauthentic and the advice is said because many artists will shoot themselves in the foot by focusing too much on trying to write for the audience.
>>
I like a song by Collier, and only because it fits a mold, not because it's genuine art.
>>
>>121569557
There have been like 30 threads in the last 2 months regarding Collier dumb ass nigga. Even more over the years

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.