[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1029.jpg (163 KB, 759x2048)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>No. He played at a Pavement reunion show in England [in 2010]. I didn’t know if I should talk to him. I’d have to unpack all this stuff: “Hi, I’m the Pavement guy who, like, ripped off three of your songs, really intentionally, on one of my albums, and then didn’t do it ever again.” That was the only time I got close enough to say hi, and I was too shy.

-Stephen Malkmus
The New York Times
May 14, 2018
>>
File: smith-toothy.jpg (89 KB, 700x788)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>121586765
>“Hi, I’m the Pavement guy who, like, ripped off three of your songs, really intentionally, on one of my albums, and then didn’t do it ever again.”

*mouth saliva noises intensify*
>>
>>121587049
He had a set of fake chompers by 2010. At that point, his brain was too pickled to start any drama.
>>
>>121586765
If he would just tuck in his shirt and pull his pant cuffs out of his sneakers he might look okay there. Instead he just looks like a clueless slob.
>>
>>121587142
Looking like a slob is a way of signaling to his wife that he's not trying to bang 20-year-old art hoes.
>>
>>121587200
>too shy to introduce himself to his hero the one time he has a chance
>panders to his wife
what a pussy
>>
>>121587142
He's le heckin' epic slackerinoooo
>>
The main influence of pavement until S&E was The Fall (now, if we talk about ripoffs there are like 3 or 4 songs.). After that there's a decrease of that influence with the exception of the vocals: Malkmus style of singing is heavily influenced by Mark E Smith.
Some quotes:
-Even so, Pavement’s wholesale reappropriation of Smith’s consonant-ridden jargon still seemed a little brazen. Wasn’t Slanted and Enchanted’s Our Singer just an exact rewrite of the Fall’s Hip Priest? “Yeah it was,” Stephen Malkmus, Pavement’s wiry, bookish singer and guitarist admits, “but there were other songs too. Conduit for Sale was New Face in Hell. Jackals, False Grails; The Lonesome Era was The Classical. It didn’t worry me at the time. I don’t know what I was thinking,” he muses idly, as if he’d never considered the subject before. “We don’t sound like them any more.”
-This one is very related to "Hip Priest" by the Fall. We were running out of time recording the album, and I was like, "I got this last one. I'm not even going to bother teaching it or doing any over-dubs, just get in here and play a waltz beat." Just some frustrated California 22-year-old. It has a certain directness and freshness that makes it a nice closing for the album.
-There's another song on Slanted and Enchanted called "Conduit for Sale!" that's very similar to "New Face in Hell" by the Fall. There's a song called "Fame Throwa" that's very Fall, especially the chorus. And "I've got one holy life to live" [a.k.a. "Jackals, False Grails: The Lonesome Era"] is "The Classical" done differently.
>>
>>121586765
>>Did you ever meet Mark E. Smith of the Fall, who died in January?
why is this so funny?
>>
>>121586765
>Slacks at meeting the guy he stole his whole early identity from
>>
>>121586765
He's even ripping off Mark's clothes
>>
>>121587049
Why are bongs like this

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.