[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I want to play drums so badly, but I cant set up an acoustic set where I live because of the noise, and I wont be able to afford an electric kit in probably more than a year.

Can I make significant progress with just a practice pad in the meantime? I probably could get a pedal and set it up against a wooden table or something, and maybe a hi-hat that I can mute with a shirt or something so its not so loud.

Is this enough to make some good progress while I get my hands on a kit?
>>
:(
>>
>>121756033
>Can I make significant progress with just a practice pad in the meantime?
yes absolutely. if you practice nothing but rudiments and coordination drills daily for a year you will unironically mog most experienced players the first time you touch a kit.
>>
>>121758148
NTA, any good resources for learning online? I've heard drumeo is good.
>>
>>121759298
RICK DIOR is based god of internet youtube drum videos

start with a snar pad nd metrnone.

get stick control and syncopation for the modern drummer. if you think youre gonna kep going get advanced techniques for the modern drummer.

still gonna keep going get the DW travel pads kit and a stool and a pedal.

you can learn a lot, but eventually you will an instrument to learn to make musical and to play musically.
>>
>>121756033
Practice pad is great to learn rudiments and to perfect your chops. I had the same issue of noise for a set, which really made me fall off drumming unfortunately. I wish I had just bought a nice electric set when I could have. There are always noise dampening pads you can use on a real set and quieter cymbals you can buy if that’s an option
>>
>>121756033

Drummer of 25 years here. Yes, you can absolutely. New drum students are actually supposed to just learn rudiments before sitting down behind a kit.

Learn all 40 rudiments with your hands and feet and you’ll chop it up when you actually sit down behind a kit.
>>
>>121759844
Any tips on learning moeller?
>>
>>121756033
get an alesis samplepad - it's not as expensive as an electric kit (especially used) and it'll tide you over until you can afford one. Also if you live near a round 1, see if they have gitadora, and keep grinding on the drums until you improve.
>>
>>121756033
Everyone should spend their first 6 months on rudiments regardless of whether they've got a drum kit or not
>>
>>121760016
i wouldnt get hung up on 'moeller" - like theres only one way

just occassionally look at the stick as pivoting system. it has a fulcrum, a front and a back. get into all the ways to push/pull energy into the system, by arm, by hand, by from the pivot fingers, from the back fingers. get into the varieties of ways to put the energy in and to expend it with controlled bounces.
>>
>>121760075
ive never really done the rudiment grind.
id start with sticking and reading. but hey theres room and time for everything
>>
>>121759844
>>121758148
NTA
I've been playing casually for a while but it's been a while since I've practiced my rudiments, I feel like I can technically play most songs but I suck at improv and I learn too slow, how should I go about actually making progress again? I feel like I reached the intermediate plateau and never moved forward
>>
>>121756033
I mean
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225916815026?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfmBOopQ-m8IOFng47nDwP5KC5tr8SNIiDxuXocbEa7rNZbjGyqylTY68U0
>>
>>121761689
skip thinking drums are a game
unless you want to play games

>>121761432
id start by setting some goals and concepts youd like to know or know more about
>>
>>121762068
should i just commit harder to learning songs instead of bouncing around? learning songs by ear is super tedious though desu
>>
>>121762124
pick a goal - you as a drummer in the future is now capable of doing what? bettre beats? better improve? more independence? being more like Jaki? shuffling like bernard? being really fast? being groovy?

if you like playing to songs than maybe some time transcribing and writing? not really into playing songs and that kind f thing myself. tedium is just a part of learning, so learn to love it
>>
>>121762448
I mean I really only want to play to play along to other's or compose my own songs
>>
>>121762448
>you as a drummer in the future is now capable of doing what?
playing drums
>>
>>121762527
You are why people hate drummers
>>
>>121756033
Sorta. The key thing is that you'll be able to get technical facility and theoretical knowledge if you put your mind to it, but you'll struggle mightily with repertoire, and repertoire isn't just "I know how to play this song", but it's being able to be in a jam and listen to just part of the song and come out with a meaningful addition. It's also significantly less fun from a musical perspective, especially the legs. The tactile feedback is there, the aural feedback isn't - you won't listen to what you play. You'll be able to play better when you actually get a drumset, but you'll have to grow into the drumset itself, and not just your hands and feet. Thankfully, that's the fun part.

>>121762469
Yeah, your barrier is repertoire, go dissect one song by a drummer you really like, even a simple one. You can learn what tricks they do and steal from it relentlessly. Songwriting is nerd territory, man, go dork out about the music you like.

>>121762527
You're gonna have to be more specific than that.
>>
perhaps this is a hot take but i don't think playing on pads translates well to playing on a kit. it makes you good at doing one verify specific thing but misses the forest for the trees. no amount of paradiddles will make you good at fills or improvisation, it won't teach you about different kinds of mallets or brushes or cymbals or any of the diverse gear that you would need to know to be able to effectively contribute to a band's overall sound.
it's a tool in the toolkit, and valuable if done well, but it won't make you a good kit player. it'd make you good when you want to larp as a marching band player.
>>
>>121762727
>Yeah, your barrier is repertoire, go dissect one song by a drummer you really like, even a simple one
Should I feel like I should be able to freestyle on the drums or is it just fine to strictly play rehearsed stuff? I always see videos of guys busting out smooth improvisation and I feel like I have to match up to that, am I just getting caught up in someone else's goal?
Also advice on just pushing through and learning songs? I've learnt like 75% of Subdivisions but there's a ghost note groove and a couple fills that I keep putting off. It's like that with a lot of songs
> You can learn what tricks they do and steal from it relentlessly
I'm kinda doing that now, I started on guitar and I have an idea for this 7/8 intro with some Peart-inspired fills. I need to learn guitar more first before I flesh it out though sadly
>>
>>121756033
Bro duct tape up a washcloth and practice only 30 minutes a day-
paradiddles,mummydaddys,singlestrokerolls you will be a sick drummer in six months. Just like this guy said>>121758148.
>>
>>121762805
Those things are interconnected, which is the secret of improvisation. You don't actually come up with something out of whole cloth. You steal tricks from somewhere. You steal a groove from this song; a fill from another. Maybe you grab the bass drum pattern from one song and the snare drum from another. Learn the fills, even the simple ones. Can you figure out the entirety of Nowhere Man, for instance? Or The Kids Are Alright?
>>
>>121762839
tf is a mummydaddy
>>
>>121762761
Does a painters work benefit from learning how to paint colors? Does a guitarist benefit from knowing scales?
>>
>>121762889
I mean I figured out all of Subdivisions so the answer is probably yes lol. Still suck at improv beyond like 8th note snare fills lol
>>
>>121762896

Mummydaddy is TRIPLET TIME

Rrll Llrr Rrll Llrr
>>
>>121762933
Subdivisions is a good song to learn. The ride cymbal pattern "any escape..." is a paradiddle. There are parts in 7/4 time and 7/8. If you can play those fluidly you are ahead of 90% of drummers.
>>
>>121762941
>triplet time
isn't that 4/4 sixteenth notes? am i misunderstanding?
>>
>>121762982
Oh yeah I guess it is a paradiddle, never thought about that
>If you can play those fluidly you are ahead of 90% of drummers
NO SHOT lol I'm mediocre at best
>>
>>121762997
Not 16th notes. Triplets.
Feel
>>
>>121762916
it's apples and oranges and you know it.
if op wants to get serious about drumming, then by all means he should go master his rudiments. if he just wants to be able to play with friends, along to radio music, or at weekend jam sessions down at the pub it is absolutely unnecessary.
>>
>>121763023
Yeah but why mummydaddy? such a faggy british way to phrase it lol
>>
>>121762916
It's true that you certainly get plenty of technical facility from it, and if you really focus on it, you'll get theoretical facility, but, for instance, it's the difference between playing scales and playing licks, melodies, knowing how to fit with the song as required. Those are things where as a drummer you'll still need to learn - you'll know how to execute a specific action, but is it the right action? How do you shift around the kit? How do you find the right groove for the song? That's repertoire, and learning repertoire on practice pad is something that doesn't really happen. For the painter example, it's doing a study of an artwork.

>>121762933
That comment was mostly rhetorical, I know you have the theoretical knowledge to learn those songs, and the technical facility to do so, but you need to study the songs you love in intricate detail, dissect every aspect of every fill you love, find bits of rhythms, and slowly but steadily weave them into your own style.
>>
>>121763023
Also I want you to step quarter note time with your left foot for everything u play (except a closed hihat). Your left foot should ideally be as stable as your right. hand to keep time Later on we will use that on the upbeats for jazz drumming, which is drumming level 3. Also play with a click track. Im engineering you into a studio ready pro level drummer.
>>
>>121763071
Mi drum teacher was basically Norf FC M8
>>
>>121761360
>ive never really done the rudiment grind.
that's why you're ass
>>
>>121762916
honestly most of the guitarists I know that put a lot of emphasis on knowing scales are kinda booty
>>
>>121762727
>You're gonna have to be more specific than that.
Good enough to play songs
>>
>>121763166
mine was an american boomer rocker lol. I wish I took more advantage of my lessons but I was into rap at the time and slacked off
so sad
>>
you dont need to transcribe or anything once you get your drum set just play to your favorite song it works much better dont listen to other anons
>>
>>121763281
In the mid 90s most my peer group was wiggers into rap. I was asking my teacher how to play Billy Cobham and Fear Factory. Nobody ever wanted to ride in my car.
>>
>>121763332
boom bap rap is easy to play I dont even listen to the lyrics I just drum along
>>
>>121763187
but im not ass in the slightest
my double and triples and rolls are dope as fuck and i can drop a flam anywhere i want in a roll of 16ths. i practice the variations of what my hands can do - which is basically what rudiments are. i just dont whip out a list of official rudiments and run through it.
>>
I've practiced doubles with my weak hand so much that they now sound better than my strong hand and now I can't get my previously strong hand to catch up.
>>
what is Subdivisions?
>>
>>121763352
Challenge yourself and go higher. Try this aong (starts about 1:40)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XhFgQTSOkeY
>>
>>121763389
you're defo ass lol
>>
>>121763418
A rush song with a really great drum part
>>
>>121763418
it's when you divide below the division
>>
>>121763426
song seems like such a drag to learn by ear desu, wouldn't be too bad with a score
>>
>>121763430
ok guy
good luck ever being creative
>>
>>121763426
7/8?
>>
Is it worth it to get a double pedal or should I just keep playing metal with a single pedal? For power metal and thrash I just tend to do half of the bass drum pattern wherever it lands easiest
>>
>>121763477
You're not wrong m8. Ive just copped so many great ideas from this song and album in general. This album is my most influential in drumming and im a metalhead.
>>
>>121763486
>rudiments make you less creative
Lol
>>
>>121763435
not a bad tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU

geddy look like hes wearing a raccoon hat
>>
>>121763525
Get double pedal, practice exact same rudiments as your hands and with a click. Youll be on the level of Archspire in a year.
>>
>>121763559
My single pedal game is getting pretty good at this point, I fear my ego will shatter when I try to bring my quick double hits to the left foot. At least it'll make my left foot better for hihats too
>>
>>121763503
In Subdivisions its 7/8 time in the verses "opinions are provided..." 6/4 in "be cool or be cast out" 7/4 in the beginning keyboard part and 4/4 thruout. What a fucking masterpiece
>>
>>121763638
>LE TIME SIGNATURES
>>
>>121763486
you sound like those faggots I knew in high school who "refuse to play other people's songs" and never bothered to learn basic chord shapes because they thought it made them super original or whatever
in truth it just made them play and sound like shit
good luck ever being skilled, mechanically or creatively
>>
>>121763654
>>
Unironically try video games like Rock Band. I'm not a drummer but I can play In Bloom on drums because of it
>>
>>121763665
lotta egotistical projection going on here

i said i dont run through the official list of rudiements like its a goal. i can do my swiss triplets just fine but if i want to play around i will roll some triplets and practice dropping flams or double and triples flam syncopated through out the roll. ive done all the grinding there is. i just dont go 'ok rudi 35, rudiment 36, next" or 'thank god i did rudiment 25 or id never have gotten through that last improv i just did"

not sure why your panties all up in your faces.
>>
>>121763717
in bloom is a super easy song though
>>
>>121763772
kek based retard
you've invented an entirely fictional person and you're patting yourself on the back for considering yourself to be better than this entirely fictional person
when you're finished sucking your own dick consider also finishing sucking at drums
>>
>>121763818
you might wanna get real psychiatric help
i literally just said 'i do things differently' and thats about all i said
good luck guy
>>
>>121763633
Ego shattering is what were all about here because what is rebuilt is better. It took me three weeks with weekly lessons to get down paradiddle between right foot and left hand. My teacher was calling me shite by week 3 it was the closest i ever came to quitting in disgust but I didnt. That was unironically a good life lesson and has stuck with me for years.
>>
>>121763838
you don't do things differently tho lol you literally just described practicing the drums
then you invented an autistic person to contrast yourself against, sucking your own dick over how you don't act like this fictional person you made up
you're probably too stupid to be good at drums honestly
>>
>>121763868
keep projecting guy
>>
>>121763877
>>121763868
both of you are retarded and mean
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bqFw9JTNw

some music for the drummers
>>
I’m a better drummer than all of you and I’ve never had a lesson and don’t know what a rudiment is and I don’t care
My advice is to play hard and play weird and don’t stop
>>
>>121763921
play la villa strangiato and dyers eve and the art of dying right now
>>
>>121763717
for my first year of drumming I got to use a real kit during my lessons at school but all I had for practice at home was one of those. got me to a decent level for sure.
>>
>>121763921
we got a real keith moon ova here
>>
>>121763855
Nicko Mcbrain only uses his right foot lol
>>
Buddy Rich is the GOAT drummer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ug_fes1fEI&pp=ygUKQnVkZHkgcmljaA%3D%3D
>>
>>121763877
you don't know what projection is lmfao
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha8ZWhB8FSY&ab_channel=MikeMangini%C2%AE-OfficialYouTubeChannel
insane
>>
>>121764009
Lol he's out, portnoy wanted back and it was over
>>
>>121764002
ok
your mom keeps sticks around the house in case you have another seizure
she just tells you that it cuz youre a drummer
>>
>>121763963
Cool I do love Maiden. Meshuggah uses two so does Preist, Sepultura and Metallica.
>>
for my music peeps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWlYvVM7Rl0
>>
>>121764083
Yeah you can't do dyers eve or most gojira or something on one foot sadly.
>Metallica
honestly I think I can do most of it with one pedal
>>
>>121764105
The classic Metallica double bass lick in One "darkness imprisoning me..." is still so great. We can and do shit talk Lars but he knocked it out of the park on that One.
>>
>>121763948
I don’t need to play other people’s songs lmao
>>
>>121764179
DARKNESS IMPRISONING ME

(4:19)
https://youtu.be/WM8bTdBs-cw?si=1TfS-B_q-PfPUXY9
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omb3JPnVpJA

you fuckers doing your chicken rudiments?
>>
>>121764179
I love his drumming on puppets and justice. That's the one part of the song that I can't play though lol
>>
>>121764218
theres some instagram drummers with insane foot skills that could do this with one foot.

i could pull it off with a tom RFF RFF no problem. i think for metal dude and double bass its a matter of style and personal agenda as to having a double bass or not. but lotsa proggy dudes do the double bass too - Bozzio say, will Calhoun, Ginger Baker. I guess its kinda a personal thing.
>>
>>121764290
and buddy rich did some early double bass too
>>
>>121764290
>tom RFF RFF
I could too, that's just not the same though, it's never gonna have the power of full hits from separate pedals even if you someone get all 7 strokes on a single pedal.
>>
>>121764290
When u get in a band with loud amps blasting you will have problems being heard with double kiks. Playing with a band is also essential. You want to listen as your playing another jazz kinda thing.
>>
>>121763805
I could almost beat Ride the Lightning on Expert too. It's definitely not real drumming but I'm sure it's a decent tool for some
>>
>>121764456
That's more impressive desu, especially the long double bass section (if the game has that)
>>
yes, it's the equivalent of weightlifting for drummers
everyone should practice rudiments regardless
>>
>>121764395
ive played in many bands but thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usel2OAtQ_s
>>
>>121764539
Was that u in Jimi Hendrix experience? You were good man.
>>
>>121764628
mitch here
thanks man
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKoHgkrXl3Y
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSz23TvwxE
>>
File: jim.png (1.68 MB, 1640x1254)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
>>121756033
Yes.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBn8lnisL4&t=2684s
>>
File: dave.png (1.34 MB, 2234x1268)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB PNG
>>121756033
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zToovBDx0pg
>>
>>121765927
People who play with traditional grip are like people who back their vehicle into parking spaces.
Take that as you will.
>>
File: peter.png (1.92 MB, 1678x1258)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
>>121765927
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQGdzr1yqho
>>
File: elvin.png (1.65 MB, 1540x1262)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
>>121766005
Uh huh. Nice opinion. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter and you're a retard.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVOd1hK0_w
>>
>>121766005
as something meaningless and pointless? ok.
both grips are pretty cool and i think the history of the trad grip (tilted snare) is kinda pointless. its really about what feels good and helps you move. my right hand weirdly loves trad grip.
>>
>>121766066
he doesnt talk about sticking in that vid bro
>>
>>121765903
its a good video and nice to see the whole thing

the histories say Jim was watching Kenny Clark when he was writing Advanced Techniques

so remember - Klook is God and Jim is Moses.
>>
>>121765903
the other thing thats great about this video is that - no matter where you land on the grip debate - lol is that BOTH GRIPS WORK because hes doing one with one hand and the other grip with the other hand!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocYT8qjzZGE
>>
>>121767369
my way isnt the only way...
>>
>>121767369
hes so beautiful
>>
>>121767489
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocYT8qjzZGE

FUCKING BEAST
>>
>>121756033
>>121758148
this. Get a second practice pad and a kick pedal (there's practice pads for those too, but a strip of leather spun across a cardboard surface could also work). If you practice limb independence, rhythm and striking technique you will absolutely mog once you get a kit.
>>
>>121756033
90% of actual drum skills you learn on the pads. The drums are only to apply said skills. A pad will take care of most of the things you'll need to learn especially as a starter.

The only things that you cannot learn with ONE pad are fluidity of motion for fills and shit such as being able to hit toms cleanly when you're swirling around. But you can learn that too with pads if you buy more and set them up like a drum set around you. Also, buy some cheap pedals and some bass drum pads like pic related, you don't want to be in front of the drums and suddenly realize that you have no idea what to do with your feet.

I'm currently living in a dorm so I cannot even use practise pads since they're too loud so I make do with drumming on the desk with my fingers to keep some rudiments up. But when I go back home during the weekends I practise, practise, practise on the real thing.

https://vocaroo.com/1lOAtBTJ77uw
>>
>>121768541
not bad
but the asmr bit at the end was cheesy
>>
Just get one of these or a similar kit.
Compact, everything you need to learn how to drum, and you can stow it away somewhere when you're not using it.
If even that's too much for you, you can actually get quite a lot of practice just air drumming or drumming with your fingers on your desk, you'll at the very least learn to get your hands and feet moving independently
>>
File: milennium.jpg (185 KB, 1600x1254)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>121768716
Forgot the pic
>>
>>121768716
>>121768726
fucking christ man
>>
>>121756033
i had lessons from a jazz drummer, it took over a year unti he even let me get behind my kit.
>>
File: Letter O 1.png (27 KB, 267x267)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>121756033
I had an old-school German teacher: I wasn't allowed to touch a drum for 3 YEARS.
It was fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.

Best thing that could have happened to me.

25+ years later I am very, very thankful for him.
And for my parents backing him up.
>>
>>121769218
while i appreciate this, its also utterly unnecessary
>>
noob here
wtf is the point of rudiments?? other than impressing your jazz bf that is
why not just play loud and soft when necessary?
>>
>>121766126
Who said anything about "sticking?" This is an example of traditional grip applied to the drum set for the ignorant buffoon who thought their 3rd grade level opinion of grips is the be all end all. Stupid ass people, I swear...you dummies couldn't play your way out of a fucking paper bag.
>>
>>121769805
Rudiments enable command of the instrument to a level that would be unachievable without them. That's why they're called rudiments...the knowledge is rudimentary, or "at an early stage/basic" defined by Jewgle. There's a lot more to playing drums than playing "soft" or "loud," but this knowledge is slowly being lost because people like you are the equivalent of ignorant morons that eschew theory in favor of "feeling the music." You don't know what you don't know.
>>
>>121769805
do you play any other instrument? it is standard to have these types of exercises to improve technique
>>
>>121762124
>learning songs by ear is super tedious
ngmi
>>
It will probably take a while to get good at playing things like consistent single strokes, flam/taps, buzzes and doubles anyway. So yea you can make a lot of progress on a pad. You could easily spend a year on those basic techniques.
>>
any other channels like rick dior?(eg free drum college)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.