[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GJJEJTsW8AE8YxJ.jpg (38 KB, 400x400)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
How do you write melodies? Do some songwriters just have catchy melodies appear to them like a gift from god? Or do they bang it out by randomly singing over chord progressions? I'm not a particularly creative person, occasionally I'll get inspired and something will pop out but I feel like I'm not approaching writing hooks correctly. Unless it really is just you either have it or you don't and it comes out of thin air.

For those of you who do write catchy shit, or you know how artists do it, how the fuck do you do it?
>>
>>121780368
>take melody you like
>change it beyond recognition
that's how an artist does it
>>
>>121780368
Trial and error retard. Just hit notes that are in key until you have something that sounds good.
>>
>>121780418
So you establish a whole ass chord progression first?
>>
>>121780430
>This dumb fucking retard is trying to write melodies before chord progressions
>>
>>121780368
forget about melody
>>
>>121780368
give me your discord
>>
>>121780430
>muh ass
I hate zoomers
>>
>>121780368
You have to understand how harmonics and measures and how they flow together,
>>
>>121780368
you go a one, a two, a one two three
>>
>>121780941
Guarantee you've never made anything good
>>
>>121780368
You either got it, or you don't
>>
>>121780368
You can't write a single bar of music without writing a melody. Your problem isn't writing melodies, your problem is you're trying to write something and it's not sounding good to you.
So change your expectations, change your structure or put in the fucking work.
>>
>>121780991
I could improv something passable on a saxophone but I wasnt trying to brag about how good I am at making music. but if OP wants to understand music he should visualize harmonics and how everything is divided within the measures just like math, just like a cycle,
>>
>>121781042
You should visualize my cock slapping you in the face
>>
>>121781042
There is no "thing" people should do, there's no gimmick, no technique that will suddenly reveal all of the answers.
>>
>>121781061
I tried and I saw nothing

>>121781083
Everyone understand music at a fundamental level, that's why people tap their feet to the beat or they will subconsciously know what the next note is even if they never heard the music before. OP is never gonna be a Mozart but if he understand how music is made( harmonics+ measures) at least he will have a deeper appreciation in the craftsmanship of music.
>>
>>121780999
Trips of truth.
>how do I become talented?"
stfu
>>
>>121780368
>bling
i like that note. next!
>blong
i dont like that note
>blung
i like that note. next!
>play with the timing
ez. same process with chords.
>>
>>121780448
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsffxGyY4ck
>>
File: 1653887700862.jpg (116 KB, 700x763)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
I recommend reading Jeff Tweedy's "How to Write One Song." It's generally more focused on lyrics but the practice essentially boils down to consistently writing melodies everyday until you stumble upon something good. You'll build up a bank of them over time and you'll be able to pick out which ones are good after some time has passed. It really doesn't seem any different for most professional artists either. Dua Lipa said something about writing 90-100 songs for a 13 song album. A long winded way to say practice I guess

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.