[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: New York Dolls.jpg (224 KB, 732x720)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
When I say I'm in love
You best believe I'm in love, LUV
>>
>>121791583
looks like trannycore
>>
>>121791604
It is and yet it's the greatest punk album ever recorded.
>>
>>121791583
Tranny faggits
>>
>>121791583
pretty boring desu
>>
>>121791604
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMuTA3yoLQ
>>
>>121791604
we troons just can't stop winning :)
>>
>>121791604
>>121791661
>>121791777
>>121792161
filtered
>>
File: JohnnyThunders.jpg (64 KB, 533x784)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
The Heartbreakers were better.
>>
>>121791613
It's one of the all time great rock and roll albums period, for about a year they were the best band on the planet Earth and no one could touch them.
>>121794409
The Heartbreakers were good but they were not on the Dolls' level, or even close. Thunders and Nolan were always junkie disasters but in the Dolls they were managing to hold it together pretty well, and Johansen is a criminally underrated frontman, like Mick Jagger with a brain. It's admittedly difficult defending the NY Dolls on the grounds of sobriety, but the Heartbreakers were wasted talent.
>>
>>121791583
Terrible shit made by faggots
>>
>>121791583
nonces
>>
The NY Dolls were The Replacements your parents warned you about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYdPX268iB8&t=338s
>>
>>121791583
Morrissey:

N: “How much did you adore the first album?”

M: “It was like being hit by lightning. I’ve never recovered. David’s singing – at a time when everyone was trying to sing softly and be somewhat effeminate – David Johansen rattles out with this raging roar, hard and indifferent with an incredible mantle of pride. Johansen was, then, such a great stylist, and a brilliant lyricist – which is never considered in assessments of the Dolls, but if you listen to’ Frankenstein’, with all its unnatural rhymes, and uncontrolled vocal leaps, it’s incredibly cinematic and clever, and also very intimidating. The Dolls were heavy with menace, but producing fantastic pop songs – not rock music, and Johnny Thunders guitar sounded like a machine-gun. I was also delighted that someone who looked as good as Jerry Nolan could actually play THAT WELL, because drummers weren’t generally thought to be either good-looking or interesting.

N:” What did you think of the cover?”

M: “ Very wild and visionary, and obviously it sent a shock through the blood of so many people. I was relieved by the wretchedness…sallow cheeks and almost matted hair…the brutal eyes of Thunders…It is a pop music landmark. The position of Jerry Nolan’s legs were, in themselves, artistic elitism; this picture said it all – the Dolls were a clan in the right, and everyone else should just BACK OFF. The shot on the back of the sleeve said almost as much – Johansen with the ever unshuttable mouth, the devilment of Thunders, the lurching Arthur Kane, Sylvain Sylvain as cute child star, Jerry Nolan looking sensational but also as if he’d kick the shit out of anyone who said anything out of line. For me, perfection. Even the way David Johansen stood in those court shoes was pure pop originality. This had never happened before, and that’s what pop music seemed to be seeking out.”
>>
>>121797450
N: “ Do you think Glam is an inaccurate tag for The Dolls?”

M: “ Yes, because, in England, Glam was Alvin Stardust and Suzi Quatro – so how could The New York Dolls also be Glam? They couldn’t. The term is more so associated with crass elements of British kiddie-pop of 1972-3, for which the groups, in effect, dressed up. The Dolls were witty and violent yet had a serious tone and cadence and had no problems with identity. They were very real and had no interest in being friendly faces within the pop community. The public can take anything except reality, and the Dolls were far too underworld to be Glam. Furthermore, the Dolls were very tough, and it was obvious they had actually lived all the experiences that people such as David Bowie, Roxy Music and Mott the Hoople – sensational as those artists were – struggled to touch upon.”
>>
>>121791583
David Johansen is the only living member of either the NY Dolls or The Heartbreakers, wtf.
>>
>>121791583
> solves rock n roll
>>
i always associate this album mentally with Richard Hell and the Voidoids 77 album
>>
johanson a QT in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPS-CJKDPJo
>>
The NY Dolls are the great undiscovered geniuses of rock history. Big Star (also a great, great rock band) got overlooked due to bad timing and bad luck, but the Dolls just freaked everyone out, and still do. Voted the best and the worst band of 1973. Their debut album is literally perfect, a completely perfect record, and their follow up is a 9/10. And a lot of the stuff the members did subsequently (including the reunion stuff, with the few living members) was quite good, Thunders especially was such a talented songwriter. But the NY Dolls saved rock n roll in the early 70s, and all of punk rock (for better and worse) is a footnote to New York Dolls (1973). Zoomers, this is the real live stuff your grandparents couldn't handle. https://www.loudersound.com/features/new-york-dolls-appetites-for-self-destruction
>>
>>121797878
Bop. Didn't hear it for years cause it's left off the Rock & Roll comp that contains most of their tunes

>>121797865
Hell being in the Heartbreakers for 5 minutes is the connection
>>
>>121797997
Based
>>
>>121797708
Punk rock is a death sentence

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.