[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>EVERYTHING OLD LE GOOD, EVERYTHING NEW LE BAD
>ANALOG GOOD DIGITAL BAD
>TAPE MACHINES GOOD DAWS BAD
god when is this absolute wank going to end?
>>
>technology ruins everything
>only know who this guy is because of modern technology
he has a point
>>
>>122558094
lol
>>
>>122558060
are all his fans just boomers or what?
>>
>>122558060
>"There is still great music being made!"
>Doesn't show examples and just harps on the past
>>
>>122558060
I've been an audio engineer since the 90s and this guy is a massive music industry cliche. The "dude analog" thing maybe had a point 20 or even 10 years ago but digital is indistinguishable from analog now. I swear the analog circle jerk is simply boomers trying to cope with the fact that they've spent hundreds of thousands or even millions on studios and gear just to find that people post-2015 can do all of it on a laptop. Most of us sold our neve and mackie shit in 2013 for bank and went in the box. Some people never move on.

Also these classic rock faggots spend their lives bitching about other genres they dont even listen to. I used to hate pop and rnb until I started mixing it for work and then I started to understand where all that music was coming from. It's a totally different ethos to rock and shouldn't be compared. These people just reviews to listen to anything other than Led Zeppelin original pressings and have their head too far up their ass to listen to anything or anyone else.
>>
>>122558157
>>"There is still great music being made!"
I never actually said this. Also if I posted music it would be extremely subjective and down to taste. Every generation makes good and bad music. Mainstream music sucks now because the music industry at large isn't as big an empire because nobody directly buys shit.
>>
>>122558190
Retard I'm talking about Rick saying that shit while never talking about the good music he means. Unless you are Rick himself.
>>
>>122558060
>this new song has guitars, so it is good
>I don't know the names of modern singers but I know the names of old singers, so old music good, new music bad

he is intellectually incapable of getting it
>>
>>122558060
>>122558178
he never actually says analog is better. He was ranting how digital allows shortcuts like quantizing and autotune, which in itself leads to less quality music. Analog doesn't allow shortcuts so it forces better input from the musicians.
>>
>>122558060
that guitar looks pretty good but he's sucha jackass faggot
>>
File: 1719025312676192m.jpg (71 KB, 509x1024)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Where do you guys download your music from, I've just realised I'm going in to have to get rid of most of my CDs because they're low quality, and I'm not spending a Penny on CDs again
>>
>>122558307
Haha oh, I mean I'm definitely not Rick that would be silly haha
>>
>>122559028
cds are much higher quality than youtubeand almost any streaming service
>>
>>122558331
>He was ranting how digital allows shortcuts like quantizing and autotune
yeah, which is fucking boomer bullshit. Autotune is mostly used for stylisation and is a cosmetic thing in most music it's used for. There are ways of convincingly re-tuning a vocal take without it shifting semitones all over the place, it's just the modern day equivalent of the talkbox/vocoder. It's like how people called Roger from Zapp a hack because he used a talkbox. Reality is he's a brilliant pianist.

Also I would argue that shortcuts are a good thing because it realises ideas quicker, at least in the hands of talented musicians. Doing things the slow way just gets the same result slower. The "less quality music" thing is just the music industry losing money and increasingly having to pump out lowest common denominator garbage to keep selling shit.
>Analog doesn't allow shortcuts so it forces better input from the musicians.
I think this is a retarded boomer take. DAWs just speed up the process.
>>
>>122558060
lmao he never said any of those things. He just shits on modern spotify top 10 pop (which is objectively shit)

obviously he covers more boomer stuff because he is a boomer

not saying he's a saint but what you said is plain incorrect
>>
>>122559285
OK, but have you considered that you're wrong?
>>
>>122559263
Course I'm not planning to listen to music on a video blogging website. I'm going to download high quality audio from somewhere serious. I'm new to this though, and not all cd are good quality, most produced outside of the main countries are trash
>>
>>122559308
I actually respect the classic rock heads and their whole ethos. I just roll my eyes when they shit on every piece of music technology and music released after the 70s despite making no effort to understand that music.

Also I would argue that the Beatles music was just as manufactured and fake than any Taylor Swift album, it was just done with older technology. Phil Spector's wall of sound for example was a complete anathema to how music worked live but sounded good on a record.
>>
>>122559285
Name more than 5 good singers who use autotune.
>>
>>122559285
>Autotune is mostly used for stylisation and is a cosmetic thing in most music it's used for.
false. It's mostly used for people who can't sing correctly
> it's just the modern day equivalent of the talkbox/vocoder
no its not because you had to hit the right notes at least with a talkbox. It was just another instrument
>Also I would argue that shortcuts are a good thing because it realises ideas quicker, at least in the hands of talented musicians
Again, the problem is these aren't talented musicians, which is Rick's argument. Music is too easy to make and using technology tricks people into thinking they are good when they are not.
>I think this is a retarded boomer take. DAWs just speed up the process.
Analog forces people to get it correct whereas DAWs allow shitty people to make music. You can't be a shitty musician if you record analog.
>>
>>122558178
> I used to hate pop and rnb until I started mixing it for work and then I started to understand where all that music was coming from. It's a totally different ethos to rock and shouldn't be compared.
i think his argument is that it's also led to rock genres being recorded under the gridded out overproduced pop paradigm and to a flood of uninspired formulaic material due to the reduced skill threshold, he'll give pop productions credit in their own right like that katy perry (i think) song on what makes this song great
>>
>>122558060
it's the distribution that's bad
>end free music streaming
>shit is worse pay than iTunes
>>
>>122558060
90% accurate
>ANALOG GOOD DIGITAL BAD
Disagree
>TAPE MACHINES GOOD DAWS BAD
Disagree
>>
>>122558178
>digital is indistinguishable from analog now
And nobody claimed otherwise.
This is not about how it sounds when it's recorded.

It's about the fact that digitalisation killed skill, killed that motive in the musician to push himself to make an instrument sound in ways like never before. Why would you do that when you got DAW filters, libraries and can get any possible shade of sound without playing any instrument

That's what digitalisation killed. This physical relation between musician and song, as something you get right only by skill, great effort, physical strain. Now if you can't sing well, you autotune that shit and you magically sound pitch perfect. It turned Kanye into a singer too.
>>
>>122558178
>>Also these classic rock faggots spend their lives bitching about other genres they dont even listen to. I used to hate pop and rnb until I started mixing it for work and then I started to understand where all that music was coming from
And where did you find out it was coming from
the sewage?
>>
>>122558060
Reminder his two biggest achievements as a producer are a Shinedown album and a Walmart Country song. Also he formed a shitty Alternative band in the mid 90s at a last chance of being "le epic boomer Jimmy Page rockstar" in his late 30s. This guy has no right to criticize anybody. Albini was a prick but atleast he could back it up by making good music and producing good bands. Also he forced his son (who is autistic because he bred him way too late in life) to be le epic perfect pitch prodigy kid because he wants to live the life he didn't have on him. Fuck this boomer retard.
>>
The latest video is basically gatekeeping music. It's funny how it's acceptable to gatekeep when a popular person does it.

>>122559330
Are you genuinely stupid? Downloading the music from those "produced outside of the main countries are trash" won't change the quality. They will still be rips from that "trash CD".
>>
File: 1622042889400.jpg (93 KB, 385x390)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>his most popular video is still a WatchMojo Top 20
>>
>>122558060
I wonder why he would think that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10LSq_J5ol4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXBiBUMSsI
>>
>>122560618
I thought maybe there would be versions online that were re-mastered, I don't know, I don't know anything about Audio engineering. Don't be rude!
>>
>>122558060
This but Unironically
>>
>>122560758
What? Idgi. Link?
>>
>>122561472
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNuqYFP-pM
>>
He's right
>>
>>122561508
Oh, so it had nothing to do with watchmojo
>>
>>122561523
retard
>>
>>122561536
I guarantee you the watchmojo version wouldn't mention Pat Metheny
>>
>>122561562
neither did his video
>>
>>122561655
Doubt. Not that I'm going to watch him. He is obsessed with Methheady
>>
>>122558319
He’s actually just a scammer who knows that shit is dumb but also knows there’s a billion boomers willing to eat it up and vote with their wallet.

If you go out to jam nights nowadays there’s a new subspecies of boomer. The Beato. They style their hair the same way as him, and often play DC Gibsons. They make a big scene when anybody in the jam plays anything newer than Guns ‘n Roses regardless of how tasty the guitar is or how suited it is to a free form jam or how many people know it.
>>
>>122561836
where can I hear tasty guitar playing newer than Guns 'n' Roses?
>>
>>122559366
>>122559356
I guarantee you T Pain is a better singer than both of you, and me too. Sometimes you’re not smarter than the people that made millions off of this shit. Hard to take I know.
>>
File: 1707044289853.webm (2.52 MB, 1280x720)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB WEBM
>>122561731
he just packed it with Led Zeppelin

20. Tom Petty - Free Fallin'
19. Harry Chapin - Cat's in the Cradle
18. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill (Steve Hunter)
17. Jim Croce - Time in a Bottle
16. Alice in Chains - I Stay Away (Jerry Cantrell)
15. The Who - Pinball Wizard (Pete Townshend)
14. Heart - Crazy on You (Nancy Wilson)
13. James Taylor - Fire and Pain
12. The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun (George Harrison)
11. Yes - Roundabout (Steve Howe)
10. Simon & Garfunkel - Scarborough Fair (Paul Simon)
9. Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Jimmy Page)
8. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (David Gilmour)
7. Rush - Closer to the Heart (Alex Lifeson)
6. Led Zeppelin - Over the Hills and Far Away (Jimmy Page)
5. Boston - More than a Feeling (Tom Scholz)
4. The Beatles - Norwegian Wood (John Lennon)
3. The Rolling Stones - Angie (Keith Richards)
2. The Eagles - Hotel California (Don Felder)
1. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (Jimmy Page)
>>
>>122560016
It’s just a different skill now. You sound exactly like saxophonists when guitars cucked them out of the lead position in popular music.
>they just like move their fingers
>it’s not fair!
>>
>>122560241
The irony is having perfect pitch is useful but it’s also the conservatory equivalent of the digitization shit he hates. If the kid has actually locked into it then he’s confined to playing the common practice repetoire and having a meltdown when ever one of the violinists is more than 10 cents out of tune.
>>
>>122561927
Oasis, At The Drive In, Arctic Monkeys, to name some obvious choices.
>>
Literally whomst?
>>
>>122561986
Wow this is pleb af
>>
>Boomers like Beato lump you in with shitty hair metal and grunge even though you are definitely neither of those things, so you don’t get the boomer boost even though you do everything they like
>zoomers have never heard you besides riffs in isolation played at football games, and so lump you in with dad shit like Hall & Oates

Punished Slash. A hero without an audience
>>
>>122562099
told you it was watchmojo
>>
>>122562465
>Slash is underrated gem?
>>
>>122562612
If George “Paul Play me part whilst I tickle me kundalini” Harrison makes the list and slash doesn’t then yes.

I don’t care how dumb the boomer is Slash should have their respect.
>>
>>122561836
they all converge on TGP
>>
>>122562570
Yeah but he literally sold out. I didn't know he did that and it was one of the things I liked him for.
>>
>>122560016
Thanks, Reddit. And tools didn't ruin music, low IQ, talentless people ruined music. It takes some intelligence to make a good song and the collective IQ is probably a good 15 points below what it was in the Beatles' time. Also testosterone levels are dropping. I mean, how can you make Appetite For Destruction today when most men are more woman than man?
>>
>>122558178
>I used to hate pop and rnb until I started mixing it for work and then I started to understand where all that music was coming from. It's a totally different ethos to rock and shouldn't be compared
explain?
>>
File: 1718013747645899.gif (150 KB, 640x360)
150 KB
150 KB GIF
>>122563046
>He thinks metal is sophisticated
>>
>>122563086
who said anything about metal? also post your favorite albums/artists so we can judge your tastes.
>>
>>122563086
Where did he mention metal at all in his post? You’re just proving his point about IQ dropping.

Miss me with that TERF shit though Rowling.
>>
>>122563079
>>122558178
I don't hate pop and R&B, lol. I do find the modern stuff vastly below the standard of what there was in the 60s though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rbWGi1m22U

This versus WAP? Really?
>>
>>122563102
I almost listen to classical exclusively. My favorite piece is Mozart's 16th quartet. I assumed Appetite for Destruction was metal for "some reason".
>>
oh and the demise of pop started with Britney Spears at which point the stuff became an overproduced synthetic circus act, not about the music
>>
>>122563187
Finley somebody says it
>>
>>122563211
Finally* retarded phone
>>
>>122563173
Mozart would have made a joke about you sniffing your own ass. I need you to know that. Slink off into your hole.
>>
>>122558060
im watching his abasi interview now:
classical good, traditional bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSECY4kPflc
>>
File: 1338424360214.jpg (21 KB, 528x484)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>122558060
I finally clicked on one of his videos, the title was
>What makes this song great?
he just described the instruments and named the chords/notes that were played. That told me everything I needed to know.
>>
>>122563243
Not my fault you have potatomind
>>
>>122563268
>30 frets but no double cut
what a dumb guitar design
>>
Britney never came up organically in a scene, she was a Mickey Mouse Club member who was instantly given a massive megabucks push out the gate with slick high bucks hit singles and huge spectacle stage shows where she didn't sing at all, just lip synced and there was no actual backing band just piped in music. That had never been the case with pop stars in all the decades leading up to that.
>>
>>122563324
>That had never been the case with pop stars in all the decades leading up to that
Yeah it's not like The Beach Boys' dad was a professional songwriter or anything
>>
>>122562021
Yeah perfect pitch is useless unless your sing a church choir or compose classical music. I'm sure Jimmy Page (Beato's gay crush) doesn't have perfect pitch. I mean fuck if you listen to Led Zeppelin live bootlegs most of the time his guitar is out of tune. I guess Beato would just call that SOVL though.
>>
>>122563429
You don’t get it anon he was just more in tune. Because you could be. In the past. It was a halcyon age. The rivers flowed golden.
>>
>>122563324
Brittney kinda slaps though fr

Also I read this is post to my grandpa and he gained lucidity for a few short minutes, long enough to yell something about the Monkees
>>
>>122563513
i'm pretty sure nobody ever thought the Monkees were anything more than a novelty act for 11 year old girls. now of course when Britney and N*Sync happened music snobs rightfully denounced them. yet since 2010 you're told that you have to accept manufactured Disney pop stars as legitimate artists equivalent to the Beatles or U2.
>>
>>122563429
nobody has actual perfect pitch, it's a myth
>>
>>122563310
Lol play me something by Mozart you fucking nonce
https://voca.ro/1kfIpqJg21t4
>>
>>122563046
literally any music from the 60s is higher IQ than today
>>
>>122563612
>You can't listen to the music unless you can play it
Retarded take. Thanks for the nonsequitur though.
>>
>>122563612
>Mozart on guitar
Lmao even
>>
>>122563600
This sounds like something someone who's sad about not having perfect pitch tells theirself when they feel insecure. Doesn't matter anyways we have digital tuners now.
>>
>>122563795
>>122563810
I see a lot of coping and useless opinions from dilettantes. Mozart would have taken your money and written some shit about how you suck yourselves off
>>
>>122562465
Are you stupid?
Guns n Roses is one of the prime boomer bands
>>
>>122563834
Stop insinuating yourself in Mozart's biography. Mozart was useless except as a composer. Anyone who thinks he is "le so cool" for writing Lech Mein Arsche is an equally regressive human being. I could care less what the childish Mozart would have done. He never wrote for guitar because it is a tasteless instrument.
>>
>>122563865
Naw it’s Gen X’ers who were getting laid in HS that like Guns and Roses. Just compare the album releases with the census data zoomie
>>
>>122563879
It’s a single course mandolin like he would have had in his day and like he wrote for you deaf and blind dilettante. You know nothing about him, you just listen to whatever has an air of sniffing your own ass. If it was Brittney Spears you would be listening to that. You are a hollow man posturing. Play something or get the fuck out paypig
>>
>>122563890
Millenials and zoomers pretty much lump boomers and gen x together when they say "boomer". You'll even see them call bands like Cinderella and Poison boomer rock.
>>
>>122563915
I could probably play something but it's not like there is a piano in every location anyway. But this is a Red Herring and I didn't even listen to Brittney Spears I. The 90s. You are a very insecure person and you think you are the next Mozart. Peak schizoid nonsense.
>>
>>122563989
>I could probably play something
Shut up with your useless opinions then and play
>>
>>122564004
Play what? The musical instrument at my grandparent's that doesn't exist? I'll play something on Monday if this thread is still up. Lmao. You're fucking insane and your voice sucks.
>>
>>122564030
>can’t play and doesn’t have an instrument
So why should we care about your shit opinion?
>>
>>122564041
I can play piano. What you played wasn't especially virtuosic. Who said I cannot play? I merely said that is not a prerequisite for enjoying the music you schizoid moron.
>>
>>122564071
>I could play piano
Play it then professor
>>
>>122564041
Do you literally go everywhere with your guitar? Are you one of those guys?
>>
>>122564080
I don't have one you stupid nincompoop! Lay off the weed. You do not play a classical instrument either albeit.
>>
>>122564082
A working musician? I get hired to sing more. But I’m at my house right now. Where I have guitars and a piano. I could also go to one of two churches I have keys to and play larger pianos or pipe organs.
And Guns ‘n Roses isn’t metal you out of touch retard.
>>
File: 1717611222775835.png (306 KB, 1012x623)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>122564080
>>122564092
STOPPPPPP FIGHTING
We need to come together to hate Beato
>>
>>122564092
>blah blah blah
Nut up or shut up paypig
>>
>>122564109
You're the idiot listening to trash dadrock. also, no you cannot play the organ, except maybe a Hammond or something. What is your salient point here anyway? That people need to play instruments to listen to music. I still don't understand your retarded thesis. Many people who could play instruments very proficiently had terrible musical takes, like Glenn Gould who said Mozart died too late rather than too early. Your ability to play guitar affords you no authority on music, sorry to say
>>
>>122564128
What am I paying for exactly? Take your damn meds, you schizophrenic schizoid schizotypal schizo.
>>
>>122564179
>imagine a world where musicians post on the music board of one of the most popular websites in the world
Here’s a clip I had of me practicing a transcription of Ombré ma fui from Xerxes

https://voca.ro/138y8eHwJtV5
>>
>>122564203
The music that I live off of. Thanks btw
>>
>>122564223
That's not you.
>>
>>122564253
I’m flattered and kind of feel like I won.
Here’s one with me singing so you can see it’s the same voice and playing like shit so you can see I’m accompanying myself lol
https://voca.ro/1je4SAe3ITRx
>>
>>122564283
Just lay off the weed and power chord dadrock and you'll make it.
>>
>>122564382
Thanks man.
Slash, Axel and the others are very very good musicians and that is a hill I will die on and why I posted so much. Many of the great things about GnR are queues they took from opera.
>>
>>122564283
You definitely didn't win though. You're completely insecure and providing examples that are irrelevant to the discussion. It doesn't matter that Mozart was childish or you are or that Glenn Gould had ridiculous polemics. You don't need to play an instrument to enjoy classical music.
>>
>>122564414
>you’re insecure because I say you are
I’m like, fine dude. It just seems like if my point is that you should play music to have an opinion on it I need to actually back that up with my own playing.
>>
>>122564435
I say you should have to compose music to have an opinion on it, not merely play it. Where are your compositions?
>>
>>122564477
Sure, take some of my homework. Here’s a rough setting of a Japanese poem with ukulele I did. You’re going to have a bunch of qualms about a ukulele because you’re a dilettante, but I wrote this in Lied style. I was aping composers like Yamada Kosaku who wrote Japanese melodies in lied form.
https://voca.ro/1dF7GGsn5WmB
>>
>>122558094
You made Jpop, not a lied
>>
>>122564829
Post something you played or made. You’re just a dunning-Kruger idiot, and really it’s all so tiresome. These threads ask over and over again “why does everything suck now” and it’s just because you’re all ego sick losers desu lol
>>
How can you be a Prostitute and make MMA Vlogs in your customers Houses while you're supposed to be getting dressed with them out of the Room. It's actually insane L'mayo
>>
>>122564884
Okay tomorrow I will. At least I'll have my computer with me by then, no keyboard though, sorry.
>>
>>122564952
Oops wrong thread and even Board, sorry
>>
>>122564956
>tomorrow
Tomorrow we’ll all be getting blowjobs in paradise, insh’allah brother
>>
>>122564987
There are no sensuous desires in heaven Achmed.
>>
>>122564398
>Many of the great things about GnR are queues they took from opera
Christgau was always big on the idea that classical/opera bits don't belong in rock and it should be just like reciting beat poetry over basic chords.
>>
>>122565109
Sounds like a shit time no wonder a cuckold like you who can’t take action but only mouth off like an impotent chihuahua would fantasize about such a place
>>
>>122565122
But that’s what baroque to HVC opera was like anon. Of course Verdi shit is faggotry. It’s like the difference between GnR and hair metal
>>
>>122565158
What? Once again you're just dredging up more non-sequiturs.
>>
>>122565194
>can’t read
>let’s try to talk like J.P. to posture

Yip yip yip retard
>>
>>122565232
Jordan Peterson? My god man, how are you even using your device?
>>
>>122565303
Yip yip yip nut up or shut up chihuahua
>>
>>122565158
You can't wait one day? You think this thread won't be in the catalog? Give me a break.
>>
>>122565329
Yip yip yip yip somehow tomorrow never comes
>>
File: 1697036428064576.png (17 KB, 626x624)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>122562040
lol
>>
>>122565314
You haven't nut up yourself because there was nothing to nut up to in the first place. Seriously throw out your bong and you'll realize how ridiculous your post history is ITT. Congrats, you won the argument in your head! I will kneel if you provide a symphonic sketch or some sort of serious composition. It doesn't matter if you play every instrument in the orchestra if your composition is garbage. So far I've heard an anime opening theme.
>>
>>122559227
lmao
>>
>>122565386
holy based
>>
>>122565386
Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip

That was a long one can you play something now? Not one your computer since you were mouthing off about playing classical instruments you uppity little faggot
>>
>>122565338
this is based
>>
File: 1689136919693692.jpg (86 KB, 736x736)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>122565389
ok based as fuck
>>
>>122565400
I will kick your ass in any location within 600 miles of Washington just give me a time and a place and I will be there dick in hand ready for action you pissant
>>
>>122565526
Sure I’ll let you live out your gay fantasies if you buy me a plane ticket to Washington. Can you even get hard though or is it just more fucking talk man?
>>
pop music is shit today because it's just rich kids self indulgent noodling
>>
File: 1705652794490189.jpg (449 KB, 960x1440)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
>>122565546
Like you wouldn't fucking believe bitch
>>
>>122565563
Get those fingers real hard for me and play something then
>>
>>122565582
I don't "play" instruments that's gay
>>
>>122565400
Fuck you, I'm not writing something on my phone. Throw out the bong. Yip Yip yip indeed. Nigger, do you not understand I am not at home!
>>
>>122565757
Ok now this is based
>>
>all these soundcloud rappers ITT seething at the boomer for calling out their lame autotune and generic beats
>>
>>122558060
Old people are fucking cringe.
>>
>>122565983
you have a way easier chance of getting a hit with Soundcloud rap today than playing shitty blues guitar licks
>>
Rick is correct on principle even if his own career as a musician/producer is meh. Soundcloud whatever rap, EDM, etc is just a cheap fad for urbanite hipsters and has no substance at all.
>>
>>122566185
It’s 2024 anon you had a point a few years ago but it’s literally the opposite now. This shouldn’t be a meaningful metric but it is. Go into your local guitar store and observe how many more black dudes come in to shop for guitars vs last decade. Mainstream black culture in America is getting over rap and it was already losing steam everywhere else. Soon it will just be cringy Korean girls
>>
>>122561962
>one guy with a gimmick somehow proves me wrong.
>>
>>122566825
>hard to take I know
Don’t need to keep being a little bitch about it anon. It’s why your music sucks
>>
>>122565379
Why do you think it’s bait? Because wonderwall is the meme song? Listen to the rest of the album it’s on.
>>
File: 1692944320164590.jpg (95 KB, 870x1390)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>122566974
fochkn mint tha' arr kid
>>
Love pitch correction, love quantizing, love me strict through song bpm. Simple as.
>>
Literally who? Lmao
>>
>>122567941
Are you just never on YouTube?
>>
Okay I lied. I cannot sight-read proficiently and have the slightest amount of hand independence and I can never follow through one of my compositions in good faith (not on a basis that seems arbitrary to me). I am only telling the truth because Jesus convicted me to. I still say you only won an argument in your head though.
>>
>>122558060
He is right. Its just simple statistics. The bar of entry to make music is much lower, and its impossible to gate keep on the Internet. Thus, there is a lot more music being made today and a lot more bad music being made today.
>>
>>122568876
What ever you need to cope faggot, I don’t care. Just stop posting about shit you don’t know about. You’re like a 7 year old bullshitting on the playground. Take a look at yourself you fucking loser
>>
>>122567349
>love me strict through song bpm

Heard of a skill issue? If you’re too dumb to know how to use meter and tempo shifts in a DAW I have exactly 0 confidence you could do either with a physical instrument
>>
>>122558178
>I've been an audio engineer since the 90s
is that supposed to give you credibility? the 90s/2000s has some of the worst produced/mixed music ever
>>
a lot of shit opinion on this thread lmao.
seriously, digital help untalented people so what?
do you guys like music? why does it matter if the people that make music right now are not talented?
if people love their songs it shouldn't matter.
you don't have to suffer to make music, just because some of you guys learned music with very strict rules it doesn't mean other have to. if the spotify top 10 is shitty on a music theory stanpoint, it doesn't matter that is still good music because people like it, they feel emotion listening to those songs even if they are shitty songs.
>>
>>122569268
>meter and tempo shifts in a DAW
screw that malarkey
>>
>>122569389
>some of you learned music with strict rules

I’ve found most of the idiots arguing on Beato’s side are just posturing swine who don’t know the rules. They hide behind old shit as a form of obscurantism.
I liked your point about music being democratized. I know this is 4chan, but you can’t seriously justify being an artist if you try and gatekeep others from it. Anyone can make music. Just make something fucking good senpai or at least don’t act like you’re owed a blowjob when anyone can do what you’re doing
>>
fpbp kek
>>
>>122563187
You mean Max Martin
>>
He isn't even "old thing good" man, if you watched any of his videos you would hear him praising a lot of contemporary artists. The video titles are clickbait to get people to watch but they are misleading
>>
>>122567349
skill issue
>>
>>122569428
Skill Issue
>>
>>122569428
people will always find a way to use things in their favor to feel superior it's not just a music thing.
i'm a pretty good guitar player but it's really common for me to play really easy stuff because it's fun, I had people come to me to tell me how better they are at guitar because they only play van halen, polyphia or malmsteen, they miss the point of making and listening to music entirely.
music has always been since the start about sharing a feeling or expressing yourself, cavemen didn't know about music theory yet they chanted together and created harmonies to feel connected with eachother.
it's never been about being better
>>
>>122561962
Not either of those anons but T pain is talentless slop that goes into the giant dumpster heap of other talentless slop. He's known for popularizing an especially shit sounding use of an effect we'd all be better off without. It's embarassing that someone has to point this fact out to you, it's like someone having to explain, step by step, how processed junk food is worse than a decent homecooked meal.

Also it's depressing and pathetic the kind of hacks who get called 'great singers' these days. It's like those American Idol shows have infested the culture so much that people have no idea about music anymore.
A great singer is someone who can be pitchy as hell and get away with it because their voice has so much gravitas that you don't even care if they're off. 'A Very Good Year' is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, if anyone's curious.
>>
>>122570260
>wall of text that missed the point
Go listen to T pain sing clean you fatuous reread. God you’re really full of hot air aren’t you.
>>
>>122570260
>actually singing out of tune is good. like me im based and have gravitas

skill issue desu
>>
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/devin-townsend-the-beatles-digital-gear
>“I’ve got a buddy who’s extremely disparaging about technology, and his go-to line is always, ‘Well, the Beatles didn’t need that,’” Townsend noted. “And my answer is always, ‘Dude, they didn’t have that.’
Hevy Devy continues to prove himself the most based man in the music industry
>>
>>122559366
>tricks people into thinking they are good when they are not.
this
>>
>>122563046
>IQ is probably a good 15 points below what it was in the Beatles' time
this is an important aspect, from what i've heard iq seems to slowly but steadily decline in the west, it peaked around the world wars i think
>>
>>122558060
sorry lad, he's based
>>
Is there a reason as to why /mu/ is so defensive of new shit? When someone on /v/ says that old Video games were better than new games, there's a majority that agrees with them. Same with /tv/ too. Music is the one medium where nostalgia is bad
>>
>>122573699
Probably a knee jerk reaction to always hearing people go on about how much better things used to be. I mean, it’s true, but even the truth can get obnoxious when it’s repeated over and over again.
>>
>>122573699
Because new music is more sophisticated and interesting than fucking Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, and that's thanks to the unending sonic possibilities offered by digital technology
>>
>>122558060
>musician named Beato
>doesn't read like Neato but like Seattle
What a missed opportunity.
>>
>>122573699
because /mu/ listens to critics lmao
>>
>>122573749
if that's true why hasn't it produced any good songs?
>>
the mark of a great song is "can I play it in a bar or in my garage with my bros?" if not and it totally relies on studio wizardry...
>>
>>122571319
He talks well yet none of that technology he speaks of ever led to better songs than the Beatles or any of their contemporaries really.
>>
>>122573749
This was typed by a zoomer whose dick is full of microplastics and totally non-functional.
>>
>>122573941
also digital nuBeatles suck as seen with Now and Then
>>
>>122573985
You have to be absolutely braindead with 0 taste if you think modern music isn't more sophisticated in timbre and sound design than all the garbage buttrock from the 70s you lazy boomers can't let go of it because you have the curiosity of a dying sloth. Back to your ''baby baby baby'' and 5 minutes pentatonic blues solo grandpa
>>
>>122574064
post your favorite artists and albums so we can judge your tastes
>>
>>122574064
>70s were just dadrock
lmao
>>
>>122574186
zoomers today don't get to be like "shit, this album is historic" 'cause they don't got nothing historic
>>
>>122574194
They do have that. Midnights alone should qualify as a defining album of its era.
>>
>>122558331
>He was ranting how digital allows shortcuts like quantizing and autotune, which in itself leads to less quality music
that's just the same kind of bullshit. There is no bad or good tool, just bad or good ways to use it.
It's the same with the idiots who say that CGI ruined cinema, when most of the time they only realize it's CGI when it's done poorly.
>>
>>122574252
CGI ruined cinema regardless if some use it well, because now everything uses it and most of the time poorly
>>
>>122574267
>CGI ruined cinema regardless if some use it well, because now everything uses it and most of the time poorly
with that statement you just show how little you know about the topic. CGI can be used creatively and with beautiful results, and it can be corny and hideous, and I'll admit that it's most of the time the latter. But that's because most things are corny and hideous, not only CGI.
It's the same discussion that is going on about Synthesizers and DAWs. There are some people who just don't care and use them to be creative and bring their ideas to life, and I'd rather listen to their work than anything Rick Beato has shat out.
>>
>>122574302
>CGI can be used creatively and with beautiful results
Not really. Even the best use of CGI is passable at best. What little good has come from it isn’t worth all of the trash it’s produced. It would have been better if that technology had never been invented.
>>
>>122574370
>Even the best use of CGI is passable at best
again: you only show your lack of knowledge about CGI, because you only assess the times you realize that it's CGI. There is a lot of great CGI where you don't even realize that it isn't real.
>>
>>122558060
he is right you know?
>>
>>122558178
name one album that sounds good recorded in the last year in digital
>>
>>122574387
>digital tool is good when it takes 10x the time to replicate 90% of a real thing
mmmkay
>>
>>122559334
>I would argue that the Beatles music was just as manufactured and fake than any Taylor Swift album

Then you would be making a poor argument
>>
>>122573699
Poptimist shills
>>
>>122571319
ZTO would have been better with a real drummer
>>
>>122574541
Any 50s-70s record with its warm analog sound and natural instruments playing will always sound better than anything Grimes has ever made.
>>
>>122560016
The problem is 2 fold, really. 1, nobody wants to do things the hard way anymore. Why spend years learning an instrument when you can click on a piano roll and make better music today?

And 2, poor support. MIDI as a standard is absolute fucking CANCER. Dogshit expression. Decades of digital instruments, and yet the number that are as expressive as an acoustic instrument can be counted on one hand. Maybe this will change in the future, but musicians are extremely resistant to change. Why learn a digipoop that needs 50 VSTs to sound good when you can learn guitar and play it anywhere you want? Hell, even if you wants to learn a digiturd, there are no resources, good luck working it out yourself! Things like EWIs have been around for decades, and barely anyone plays them. They're lacking expressivity, you get a bite sensor, you get breath volume, you get some kind of thumb pitch control, and maybe you get an accelerometer so waggling it around does something too if you're lucky.
>>
>>122576067
>Why spend years learning an instrument when you can click on a piano roll and make better music today?
except it doesn't actually make better music?
>>
we've exhausted all possible things that can be done with real instruments, dude. the only thing that can be done today and be fresh is dissonant electronic noise.
>>
>>122576067
>Why spend years learning an instrument when you can click on a piano roll and make better music today?
it's not better? if it was better it wouldn't be a problem
>>
>>122574541
brat
>>
>>122569796
bro thinks he's a caveman
>>
File: 1691277086361062.jpg (61 KB, 728x972)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>''baby baby baby'' and 5 minutes pentatonic blues solo
hot diggity dang thats got bite. They don't make em like this anymore
>>
File: 1693068594202798.png (52 KB, 689x960)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>122574252
>they only realize it's CGI when it's done poorly.
>these days it's more rebellious NOT to have tattoos!
>*barcode doesn't scan* guess it must be free then!
>>
>>122558060
No he has a point. Before, music was something exclusive, normies had no free access to music and to produce it you needed some real skills. Being the boomer and playing blues licks would give you all the girls.
Now, AI can shit out your blues licks and noone cares

and despite all of this: WHY THE FUCK ARE GUITARS SO EXPENSIVE
>>
File: classical-guitar.png (84 KB, 326x577)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>122578229
electric guitars are cheap
>>
>>122574252
CGI was fine when it was just used here and there, but now they film entire movie sets with it vs them actually leaving the warehouse and filming on set in the old days. You're telling me that has 0 effect on the overall quality of movies?
>>
>>122578102
playing with your wojaks again i see. idk where you got the last two quotes from but stealing stuff from megacorporations rocks i agree
>>
Not a big fan of iTunes commercial music like "One More Time" bankrolled by tech companies.
>>
>>122578316
They ought to be cheaper. Why are the good guitars 2000 euro+ instead of 500? What justifies that? There are so many guitars in the store, no way anyone buys any of them.
>>
>>122578229
>Now, AI can shit out your blues licks and
no it can't
>>
>>122558060
based
>>
>>122558060
Have a Negroni. Have two.
>>
>>122578035
I mean, it did get boomers laid so clearly it workesd right?
>>
>>122581438
Of course it can, it litearally was trained on those
>>
>>122560981
Carti's mixing is unironically better than the beatle's left ear/right ear mixing
>>
>>122558157
>has absolutely zero knowedge of bands between 1998 and 2020
>doesn't know about ones he may actually like and find impressive in terms of composition like dance gavin dance or circa survive
>knows about tiktok bands like polyphia
>>
File: domebabby.jpg (24 KB, 389x388)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>122558060
Beato is right about quantized/sample-replaced rock drums. Absolutely soulless.
>>
>>122583087
>dance gavin dance or circa survive
never heard of either one of these. I'm a boomer too but maybe it's because they're complete nobodies that me and Beato haven't heard of them?
>>
>>122578383
I dunno, Toy Story was baller and that was all CGI
>>
>>122558178
Modern production today is so insanely bad that it’s unlistenable. And I’m talking exclusively about rock and metal. Maybe pop and other genres like hip hop and edm can work well with modern production but instrument based music, especially rock and metal, isn’t meant for it.
>>
>>122583822
>dance gavin dance
>complete nobodies
Lawd 2011 tumblr would be on your aas
>>
>>122576083
I can play guitar but for a beginner a midi instrument will sound better because although very basic the sound will be lacking pitch and timing issues. I think the point that anon is making is more about the time it would take to get to the point where playing a 'real' instrument would sound good enough to start using it for music to play for other people
>>
>>122576114
But then you are faced with the problem of how to enjoy listening to dissonant electronic noise
>>
>>122586417
the only good midi music is dungeon synth
>>
>>122577997
You idiot
>>
File: 1715645449030133.jpg (19 KB, 292x285)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>122587137
bet
>>
>>122583918
that's ok, modern EDM and hip-hop sound like shit too
>>
TRY THAT IN A SMALL TOWN
>>
>>122578229
Everyone who lauds AI means it's "Good Enough" which is always the point. It's literally built for lowest common denominator tastes. It's built for guys who want Gacha Games, who want How to Draw Anime, Who use those Blues Simulator apps, etc. It might not get the nuance of a style but it'll always be "close enough" that anyone who starts pointing out those nuances is just an autistic loser who can't accept the future.
>>
>>122559028
>>122559263
YouTube is the same or better now, most streaming services are except for Spotify. It does kind of vary from artist to artist as to what actually gets uploaded but they support 48khz 24bit now.
>>
>>122559330
>Course I'm not planning to listen to music on a video blogging website. I'm going to download high quality audio from somewhere serious.
those are ripped from CDs...
>>
File: Spit.gif (1.52 MB, 498x498)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB GIF
>>122558190
>Mainstream music sucks now because the music industry at large isn't as big an empire because nobody directly buys shit.
yeah, that's why.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.