[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (701 KB, 753x502)
701 KB
701 KB PNG
Were they highkey the greatest band of the 90s? Billy Corgan just mogs everyone else and it's not even close.
>>
>>122565902
Them, STP and AiC are top three no questions asked. Shoutout Cranberries though
>>
Radiohead/Nirvana...hello guys Lol
>>
>>122565939
Radiohead kind of transcends eras, some of their best music came out in the 00s, all the other bands mentioned ITT so far are pretty much contained to the 90s
>>
>>122565902
>bald retard good
I remember when they just closed TNA down rather than let him run it.
>>
>>122565902
No, but they made some solid radio pop rock. They had a lot of success because they crossed over onto adult contemporary radio.
>>
>>122565902

I don't think they win that argument, but they're in that argument.

Gish was great
>>
>>122565902
I just never liked that high pitched whining thing he does with his voice. If you removed all that from Siamese Dream, and kept the softer vocal parts it’d be perfect.
>>
Nirvana wins to be honest
>>
>>122565902
fookin bald crybaby, as you were x
>>
>>122565902
The more you learn about Billy Corgan, the more you realize that he's incredibly fucking based and that he's actually a genius.

One example is the live version of Godzilla that Kurt Cobain shamelessly stole for Smells Like Teen Spirit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozs-KJS-7QQ

Then you start listening to the B-sides and you recognize that they're often even better than some of the stuff that made it onto the actual albums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5yG0xVBMs

I think Alice in Chains is the best of the grunge bands, but the Smashing Pumpkins were probably better overall because they were a lot more versatile. As good as Staley/Cantrell were during the 90s, they never could have come up with the string arrangement for Tonight, Tonight.
>>
>>122565902
Yes, they are
Gish to Adore were GOAT and more varied then bands commonly mentioned like Radiohead or Weezer in that time frame
>>
>>122565923
SP is nowhere near the greatness of AiC, who are the greatest band of all time. SP are dogshit.
>>
File: modest mouse.png (448 KB, 600x600)
448 KB
448 KB PNG
billy can't compete with the mouse
>>
>>122568556
2000s band actually
>>
>>122568196
BILLY CORGAN FOREVER EARNED MY RESPECT BECAUSE BACK IN THE TUMBLR BLOG ERA HE GOT HIS DICK SUCKED BY A PASSING TRANNY THEN FOUND OUT IT HAD A DICK AFTER AND BEAT IT UP THEN POSTED ABOUT HOW ITS FUCKED UP THAT A GHOUL LIKE THAT WOULD TRICK HIM AND IT GOT WHAT WAS COMING TO IT. NEVER APOLOGIZED FOR IT EITHER TO MY KNOWLEDGE. LOL.
>>
>>122568565
but their best albums are from the 90s?
>>
>>122568492
>wahhh im so depressed im down in a hole
>wahhhh im a pathetic drug addicted junkie wahhhh how could this possibly have happened wahhhhhhh
>wahhhh the drugs have a hold on me ill just write songs about it and avoid my adult responsibilities and just keep staying addicted to drugs wahhhhh
>wahhhhhh le seattle is so depressing yet I stay here and just whine about it wahhhhh
Nah.
>>
>>122568492
AiC loses for being posers who were originally the glam hair metal band
>>
>>122568578
>waaahhhhhh i’m le rat in a cage
>>
>>122568492
the AIC spammer forever tarnished that bands legacy and I now can't stand them.
>>
>>122568578
Yes. There is not a single band with a better discography than AiC, a better singer than Layne, or a better EP than Jar of Flies.
AiC are the greatest band of all time and it isn't even close.
SP fucking sucks and are nowhere near as good as AiC.
>>122568592
They aren't posers. Layne was into alternative music as well as heavy music in the 80s. He listened to The Specimen and The Lords of the New Church in the mid-80s as much as he listened to bands like Hanoi Rocks and Twisted Sister
>>122568646
This
>>
>>122568648
Dummy, you're replying to the spammer.
>>
Hum was the better band from Illinois.
>>
>>122568651
This is an absolutely retarded take
>>
>>122568803
No it's not.
There is no vocalist better than Layne, no EP better than Jar of Flies, and no band better than AiC.
>>
>>122568846
>Layne wouldn't be shit without Cantrell's harmonies and songwriting
>literally reliant on another guy to be a good lead singer
O-oof...
>>
mellon collie and siamese dream are the peak of alt rock. post 90s i don't give a fuck about them though
>>
>>122568846
Layne's voice gets really annoying
>>
>>122568865
the songs he wrote himself were good as fuck. but yeah the point stands that they would be a meh band without Jerry
>>
>>122565902
They were the best mainstream "alternative rock" band of the 90s.

But that's a low bar. That just makes them the best band in the worst genre of all time.
>>
File: layne86.jpg (72 KB, 500x629)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>122568865
Other way around. Jerry is a good hard rock guitarist but AiC would be nothing without Layne. Man in the Box wouldn't be as great of a song if it weren't for Layne's voice. Same as Would?, Rooster, Down in a Hole, Nutshell, I Stay Away, and all of the rest of their hit singles. Layne's voice elevated all of those songs tenfold.
Layne stood on his own as a lead singer and didn't need Jerry at all. Mad Season is better than anything Jerry has done on his own including post-Layne AiC.
No Layne, No Chains.
>>122568877
No it doesn't. He has the greatest voice ever.
>>122568884
Other way around. AiC would be a meh band without Layne. Mad Season was incredible and didn't need any of the other AiC members but Layne. Those were Layne's lyrics, Layne's vocals, and it was beautiful. Wake Up is one of the greatest songs of all time.
>>
threadly reminder that the aic spammer and frusciante spammer are the same person
>>
>>122568915
Cope, Mad Season didn't even last 2 albums idiot
>>
>>122568959
They didn't need to. Above stands on its own. Sold more than any of Jerry's albums.
There is no vocalist better than Layne. Ever. And Layne wrote better lyrics than Jerry. Jerry might've wrote most of the songs but Layne elevated them into another dimension, something Jerry couldn't have done on his own or with anyone else.
>>
>>122568932
They have the exact same argument structure so it's no surprise.
>>
>>122565902
>highkey
>Billy Corgan
>mogs
retarded zoomer, kill yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.