[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Bad_Brains_debut.jpg (47 KB, 301x300)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
How Can Anyone Listen to Bad Brains? Just Asking.

I’ve always been confused by this. The music is dope as fuck, but the second I found out they were anti-gay, I just wrote them off. Sure, they’ve backpedaled in later years, but all those songs you love were written when they were all pretty committed homophobes. It’s one thing to separate the art from the artist when it’s an artist that isn’t overly political. When their image and material is based in part on religious extremism, I don’t get it. Idk, I just think there’s enough great hardcore bands. You don’t have to listen to a hateful one. And yes, I know I’m not the first to bring this up, but I’ve never gotten a real answer.
>>
>>122566025
>they were anti-gay
wtf I love them even more now.
>>
>The music is dope as fuck
That's it.
you can close the thread now.
>>
>>122566238
>t. straight white male
>>
>>122566025
Like 90% of black musicians are homophobic. What are you gonna do now anon
>>
>>122566025
I don't really care what people think if they're not doing anything to anyone.
It's gay to care about what people think.
>>
The best hardcore album in my opinion. I didn't know they were homophobes, but whatever. If it bothers you that's cool, not a big deal.
>>
overrated shit praised by white people because they’re black. two good songs on one album and the rest of their discography is utter shit. Yet, somehow it’s praised as “the best punk album ever” which I guess is fitting because punk music is limp wristed
>>
>>122566045
Fpbp

ROIR and 83 R4L conflict always as best perfect pure choices for Bad Brains. Partisans might side I Against I, and with extent the Quickness

Always comes back to the 1st 2. Imho R4L '83 mogs, simple as
>>
>>122566025
Maybe check your bigotry and realize the world doesn't revolve around your sexual proclivities, hmm?
>>
>>122566025
>but the second I found out they were anti-gay
I started listening to them
>>
>>122566879
>bigotry
It's you who feels this type of way, while exploiting it.
Malcolm X has a quote for you, won't spoon feed it to you.
>>
>>122566045

right. when half the US is generally anti-gay, but 99% of the bands know they won't be able to get airplay if they're anti-gay, the supply of anti-gay music is much less than the demand for it, so it should be more popular.

Ceiling on Bad Brains would be 150M to 175M in the US.

HR tours, not with Bad Brains, singing reggae, and apparently not so good these days, or, 20 years ago, but still, Bad Brains should get a standee in the anti-gay section of the record store. If there was an anti-gay section or a record store.
>>
>>122567305
completely incoherent
>>
YEAH IM SAILIN
IM SAILIN ON
MOVIN
YEAH IM MOVIN ON
>>
>>122566363
Normal people indeed. What's your point?
>>
>>122566025
Aren't black inherently more antigays than white nowadays anyway?
>>
>>122567334

it's just too complex for you to understand. you're stupid.
>>
yea that sand in sayti
>>
>>122567055
I accept your concession.
>>
>>122566025
>they were anti-gay
good
>>
>>122568122
>the supply of anti-gay music is much less than the demand for it
this is based on your opinion that half of the US is "anti gay" and therefore half of all musicians are anti gay but are pretending not to be in order to sell records. this is speculation extrapolated into more speculation. it also doesn't make a whole lot sense because if a whole 50% of a country of 300+ million people is anti gay, why would you bother pretending not to be? that's a huge audience. country acts basically just sell records to half the country and they do just fine.
>so it should be more popular.
"anti gay" music should be more popular because the demand for anti gay music is not being met by sufficient supply because all of the anti gay musicians are pretending not to be. yeah man this is brilliant stuff.
>Ceiling on Bad Brains would be 150M to 175M in the US.
google "multivariate analysis"
>>
>>122566025
It was only HR that was the homophobe.
The other members have said in interviews that they don't share his opinions.
>>
>>122566536
music is legit good tho ( for a punk album )
>>
>>122566025
At first I thought you said they were gay I was stunned and about to drop them real quick but nevermind you said they are anti-gay. Whew.
>>
>>122566536
>punk music is limp wristed
YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT IT IS
I LOVE HARDCORE BOYS, I LOVE BOYS HARDCORE
>>
>>122566045
That’s one thing I’ll give Rastafarians credit for

Also this is old news, they upset all the Texas punks over this shit decades ago. Everyone has moved on.
>>
>>122566045
Don't blow no fudge buns
Ask Jah and he'll make the change
>>
>>122566025
I don't care about the anti gay stuff, especially if they backpedaled on that, and it isn't like hardcore wasn't like that in the past but musically, i always preferred minor threat over most other acts from that era. Never could get into black flag, wasn't big into bad brains, and recently got more into mdc over minor threat. Preferred refused over everything else for a while.
Nothing against black flag or bad brains, but idk, they just don't really do it for me as far as old school hardcore is concerned.
>>
>>122573404
Minor Threat is good but Ian is kind of a faggot on a personal level. Never liked MDC. My favorite hc punk bands were always Midwest acts like Husker Du, Die Kreuzen, The Meatmen, Articles Of Faith and Negative Approach. Of course I live in the Midwest so maybe I’m biased.
>>
>>122574366
Ian seems like a good enough guy. If we're talking old school hardcore, husker du is great, especially everything falls apart.
Zero fluff aside from sunshine superman and maybe a dud or two but other than that, blazing fast and hits hard.
Had heard of negative approach but kind of found them to be somewhat forgettable, haven't heard the other acts.
MDC are dumb, loud, and outspoken, little emphasis on filler and just one song after another.
One of my favorite hardcore acts of all time is discharge, they essentially perfected hardcore and punk and nothing comes close imo. Just my opinion though. Zero commercial appeal, a giant fuck you to everything, absolutely melting riffs and a hellish and apocalyptic depiction of nuclear war and political corruption, the only other album and band that comes close to that politically suffocating atmosphere they create in hardcore is earth crisis, imo.
I'm not a punk though, not from dc or the midwest, from the west coast. would have to check out those midwest bands and their midwest sound, but husker du is legit
>>
>>122574460
Earth crisis' destroy the machines, forgot to mention that.
>>
>>122572537
based queercore fan
>>
>>122566025
You're a fucking faggot dude why tf would you care about your favorite artists politics not lining up 100% with yours? You're never gonna be happy and die alone.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.