[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>>
>>122571063
Because flyover states are finally getting hi-speed internet and smartphones, and now they're putting up huge numbers for country artists on streaming services. And also there so much country music these days incorporates the sounds of modern pop music, which opens those artists up to potentially being played on pop music radio stations. And if those songs are getting big streaming numbers then obviously pop stations will play it, and then it becomes a feedback loop.
>>
>>122571063
Listen to a song like this and ask yourself if it sounds more like country or hip hop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_zuB-ogIBw
>>
Hip hop is on the decline
>>
>>122571063
>roots-y sound; inoffensive
>blends well into other genres (i.e. folk, acoustic, maybe blues)
>growing 'something's wrong with the modern way of living' sentiment among young people
>>122571254
I'd say both are symptoms of a sort of "return-to-your-roots" idea becoming prominent. All I'll say to that is, anyone who tells you this is inherently a good or bad thing has a bridge or five to sell you.
>>
why is /mu/ seething so much about this
>>
>>122571063
Because the right won
Trump is even going to get the presidency again unless Biden steps out(which he won't)
It is kind of hilarious watching these liberal artists suddenly give up their identity politics in favor of bag chasing, guess it was never genuine, but we kinda already knew that
>>
>>122571341
Like 85% of /mu/ are NPR trannies. It's always been like this. At least indie has finally been taken out behind the shed.
>>
You people are all fucking retarded - you all know about Music Row in Nashville, right? You know how long it's been around for, right?
>>
>becoming
>>
>>122571387
That is not true because I'm an npr wine aunt and /mu/ is very rarely even aware of my npr shit
>>
>>122571502
Everyone has heard of kruingebhang and thunder pussy you self important cocksucker
>>
>>122571215
Country?
>>
>>122571215
Iwas hoping it was this banger and lo and behold, it was.
>>
>>122571388
Just because it's called "Music Row" doesn't mean it's always owned the zeitgeist of popular music. Where were the country stars in, say, 2011, when LMFA-goddamned-O were superstars off of their familial connection to the founder of Motown?
>>
>>122571063
Because people have no taste and country is becoming more pop as the days go by, it is becoming the new rap for people who don't like rap music because it is too "urban" or whatever.
It has always been drinking music, but it isn't like the old days i guess. It gives rural whitey something to listen to while he sips on whiskey or garbage cheap beer like bud light
>>
I don't really have any insights but this recent article was worth a read:

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2024/06/hip-hop-country-billboard-charts-shaboozey/678652/
>>
>>122571063
>becoming
Lot of white people I grew up with, especially working class ones, listened to country primarily and that was years ago and in Canada, its not exactly a new thing
>>
Billboard year-end album charts since 91:

1991 Garth Brooks #2
1992 Garth Brooks #1 Billy Ray Cyrus #4 Garth Brooks #6
1993 Billy Ray Cyrus #5 Garth Brooks #9
1995 Garth Brooks #2 Eagles #4
1996 Shania Twain #6 Garth Brooks #7
1997 Leann Rimes #6
1998 Garth Brooks #3 Shania Twain #5
1999 Shania Twain #3 Garth Brooks #6 Dixie Chicks #8
2002 O Brother, Where Art Thou? #6
2003 Shania Twain #3 Dixie Chicks #4 Tim McGraw #9
2004 Toby Keith #7 Kenny Chesney #10
2005 Shania Twain #9 Rascall Flatts #10
2006 Carrie Underwood #1 Rascall Flatts #4 Kenny Chesney #8 Johnny Cash #9
2007 Carrie Underwood #5
2008 Eagles #4 Taylor Swift #5 Kid Rock #6 Carrie Underwood #8 Garth Brooks #9
2009 Taylor Swift #1
2010 Lady Antebellum #3 Taylor Swift #7
2011 Jason Aldean #4
2012 Luke Bryan #6 Lionel Richie #9
2013 Florida Georgia Line #7 Luke Bryan #9
2014 Luke Bryan #7 Garth Brooks #9 Florida Georgia Line #10
2016 Chris Stapleton #7
2019 A Star Is Born #3
2020 Luke Combs #10
2021 Morgan Wallen #1 Luke Combs #7
2022 Morgan Wallen #3
2023 Morgan Wallen #1 Morgan Wallen #5 Zach Bryan #8
>>
>>122571194
country always incorporated whatever the current pop trend was. rest of your post is of no value and has nothing worth reading in it.
>>
>>122571387
>Like 85% of /mu/ are NPR trannies. It's always been like this.
is this 2013? that /mu/ is dead. nu /mu/ is full of normtards and election tourists who worship dadrock, buttrock, hair metal, etc.
>>
There's a hardware store in my town that plays a country station. IDK, it has some soul to it and has actual instruments and singing unlike Cardi B or some bullshit like that.
>>
it had some help
>>
File: Taylor Post.jpg (84 KB, 1500x1000)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Why doesn't Posty just have the tattoos removed?
>>
Country was always mainstream
Media just pretended it didn't exist for a while because of Bush era stigma against it

Nowadays the stigma is eroding and people don't see it as a political genre anymore
>>
>>122574487
i mean yeah, it tends to be more mainstream when a Republican is president. we all knew that.
>>
>>122571063

Country has always been mainstream.

If you're talking about getting played on Top 40 Pop radio, it has something to do with bribery. The reason why songs get played on Top 40 Pop radio is bribery, Same thing is basically true with all radio formats.

Working 9 to 5 - what a way to make a living.

Dolly Parton - 45 years ago. Big mainstream hit.

They changed the laws so that only large corporations can easily do the bribery, so smaller bands can't even get listened to in their local areas. It's a small part of why the US is such a shit country right now.

Pfizer bribes the media to say "safe and effective" over and over, and people die. But local bands can't give a DJ coke for spins, because that's unethical. Only the major labels can bribe I heart radio to play the crap they're trying to push.
>>
>>122571654

Garth Brooks sold more records in the US than any top 40 pop act.
>>
>>122574376

You won
>>
Country has always technically been mainstream, but its crossing over to non-country audiences more and frat bros nationwide and not just in the South/Midwest or rural towns
>>
>>122574441
normal people listen to rock. This is true.

However, there are a bunch of Top 40 Pop radio loving retards here who don't understand that Top 40 Pop doesn't = mainstream, only mainstream for 12 year old girls.

Rock and country and the other types of music that are adjacent to rock and country where there are people playing instruments and no choreography and lip synching are the types of music people pay to see live.
>>
>>122576786

songs get played on the radio because one big company is bribing another big company to play them.

Can anyone explain why Maneskin appeared simultaneously on 6 or so charts? I recognized that as some sort of error in the conversion of Lira to US dollars. A likeable enough band, but Italian bands that nobody heard of don't get played on US radio. Unless there is a lot of payola involved.
>>
Country turned into basically nickelback a while ago. The whole "hick hop" and "bro country" stuff is also the product of music industry sleazeballs like rick beato
>>
>>122576915
The best country act is Turnpike Troubadours so basically you're a fucking retard
>>
>>122576881
Yeah, good point. How did a Eurovision band get that much attention in America? Nobody ever cares about that crap here except a few gays.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.