[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 61.jpg (144 KB, 1080x864)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
How do you discover new music to listen to without submitting to the big tech algorithm?
>>
>>122577345
Just find out who your favorite artists were influenced by and work your way backwards. Reading interviews and quotes from people whose music you already respect is much more helpful than reading lists and reviews on RYM.
>>
File: gira.jpg (118 KB, 750x1000)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
look in the /mu/ archives, search for OPs with genre keywords.
Also youtube's recommended is not all that bad if you're very strict with the "Do not recommend this again" button. I've found some nice albums on there.
>>
>>122577345
I live near a record store that's filled with stuff DJs have discarded over the years. I've found plenty of great music there that I would have never otherwise encountered online.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3_7F7artN4
>>
Search RYM in your favorite subgenres in the years and decades after their peak popularity. Odds are, you'll find a lot of really good stuff you would've missed otherwise. Like this:

https://youtu.be/32SkMIkqGC0
>>
>>122577345
BBC Radio 6

You're welcome.
>>
>>122577345

my local used bookstore also sells audio CDs. I listen to a lot of international/non english music as a result mostly atmospheric and mediterranean. Been getting hard into greek/tukrish folktales since I got a bunch of old (really old, 1910s) vinyls of greek chamber music that I'm progressively getting through
>>
Friends, and what they play at the pub
>>
go listen to O.O by nmixx until it clicks
if you're a first time clicker you're over 120 iq
>>
>>122578181
This has been one of my favorite ways of finding music throughout the years. In the 2000s and 2010s, you would come out of a thrift store with armfuls of albums
>>
>>122577345
Check out random albums from the library and rip them at home.
>>
bump
>>
>>122577345
we used to read the album credits, they used to thank similar bands to them in there

i don't know if there's a trustworthy source for other genres, but I check the 10/10s from "classics today"
>>
labelmates

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.