[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Deftones-Logo-1995.png (100 KB, 3840x2160)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
Where do they rank among the best bands of all time?
>>
not very high if i'm being honest but i enjoy saturday night wrist a lot
>>
they bussin bruh
>>
>>122579162
Two out of ten
>>
File: IMG_7828.jpg (371 KB, 640x634)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
Right under limp bizkit
https://youtu.be/zdr7wBlbbs0?si=Lsw3s8LcBr3VcSL4
>>
tied as my fav band ever
>>
I haven’t even heard most Deftones albums. I think they’re up there just based on some of the early albums. And feel it probably should be kind of obvious too.
>>
File: file.png (41 KB, 646x372)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>122579162
Oof, hard to gauge. Maybe somewhere around place 973,881?
>>
number 1
>>
>>122579162
Why can't this band write vocal melodies.

Every time I listen to them it's like, "uhhh music is happening...yeah....I'm singing notes"

but there's no good "tunes" in there. it's weird
>>
>>122579162
Not among them. Garbage
>>
>>122579162
Best Alt Metal band for sure.
>>
>>122579887
They can't write riffs either, it's droning crap
>>
They don't rank. Deftones is an enjoyable band with some good songs, I might even check out around the fur and white pony, but they're not an all time great.
>>
File: tired.gif (892 KB, 556x376)
892 KB
892 KB GIF
>>122579162
I really want to like them but every album after White Pony just blends together for me
>>
>>122579162
I don't think they'd rank very highly on such a list desu but they are a personal favorite of mine
>>
>>122579838
Who is this stupid bitch
>>122579994
Don't disrespect Quicksand like that
>>
There are a lot of fucking bands. They wouldn't make the top 50.
>>
>>122579887
>>122579996
Y'all never heard of shoegaze?
>>
>>122581125
If you had to lump them with “alternative” they might. I think they’re in my top 50 anyway, but I’m no rock music expert.
>>
>>122581238
Yeah, it SUCKS
>>
>>122581238
>shoo, gays!
Wow, homophobic much?
>>
>>122581803
Ass toot observation, anon
>>
>>122579996
>They can't write riffs either, it's droning crap

Wut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzs1FehYOA

>>122580262
Yeah, Around the Fur and White Pony are great, but afterthing after is kinda meh. Still 2 amazing records makes the ok in my book.
>>
>>122581125
Post your top 50
>>
>>122582560
Just google best bands and the first 50 that come up are more deserving of a spot than deftones.
>>
>>122579162

not too high.

but very high on the list of nu metal that normal people can like. Nu metal with indie cred. Something like that. Slipknot might've started around the same time and been bigger, but many hate Slipknot, but Deftones doesn't have that hate. They're active rock, but they're cooler than that. Queens of the Stone Age, Tool. More Danny Wimmer than Blue Ridge Rock Fest.
>>
>>122579162
>best bands of all time

Well, you might choose to start in 1964, and you have the Beatles and the Stones from that year.

You list a lot of bands before you get to the Deftones. In favor of the Deftones, they should write some songs for Active Rock radio and get hits and play for another 30 years, but, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd.

Probably in the 100-1000 range.
>>
definitly the best nu metal band
up theereee.. ii like videodrone too. but deftones are better !

>>122582049
>Around the Fur and White Pony
adrenaline is kino
>>
>>122584293
I love Adrenaline and Around the Fur and White Pony and the self titled album I dont feel the same bond for anything since.. there are still some great songs on the newer albums but like Gore could've been a Team Sleep album..
I think the loss of Chi Cheng changed their music I think Chi was the heart of the band.. If you go back and watch their live performances he really adds a lot.. his screams and vocals ...so much more guttural than Chino.. Everyone who loves Deftones should go listen to Chi's spoken word album The Bamboo Parachute. I love deftones they're one of my favourite bands and I love Chinos lyrics.. but everything after Self titled doesnt compare to the first four albums.. fuck even the Like Linus demos have something the later doesnt.
>>
Kind of a non-factor if you ask me. Deftones is one of those really lucky outsider bands that hit it big by doing shit no one else was doing, like who else was mixing post-hardcore and alternative metal with new wave/dream pop/shoegaze elements? Copycats are springing up here in the last few years but it took that long for it to catch hold.

>>122585728
I'm the other way around - I like the run of albums from Saturday Night Wrist to Gore the most, though I do wish the raw post-hardcore angle of Adrenaline held out a little longer. I like it when albums like Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan pay a little lip service to those ideas like on CMND/CTRL or Goon Squad. Still, they absolutely got more confident with those dream pop elements after shit like Minerva and Cherry Waves, they definitely found the mix at that point.
>>
AtF > Adrenaline > White Pony

And that's about it for /mu/-core Deftones.
>>
>>122579162
They're a very solid band but to pretend they exist anywhere close to 'best band of all time' is pretty facetious
>>
>>122581238
>He thinks Deftones is shoegaze
Lmao you cucks are something else. Don't be mixing your buttrock with shoegaze you absolute faggot. Back to hot topic you wuss
>>
>>122587843
>Deftones is one of those really lucky outsider bands that hit it big by doing shit no one else was doing
Ripping off hum and smashing pumpkins isnt special faggot
>>
>>122579162
They don't
>>
>>122593031
can't imagine how little music you must listen to that you think deftones were ripping off smashing pumpkins

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.