[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

im a bass guitarist who plays decently enough, and ive been recently listening to the great southern trendkill by pantera. i dont usually listen to metal but ive been really enjoying this particular album, which made me consider trying to write more metal-adjacent stuff. thing is, i have some questions about this kind of thing.

1. do i need a distortion for my bass guitar? ive used some before (behringer heavy distortion, boss super feedbacker) but they all seem to make the actual notes hard to hear. probably because i dont have a proper anplifier or cabinet and i just plug my ibanez bass into a carvin pa speaker
2. does being able to make some disco-punk (public image ltd style) adjacent basslines help with the syncopated stuff that groove metal requires as well? theres this recording i have (which i think doesnt actually use a distortion pedal, i just turned the tone knobs up and had it too loud) of me trying to sound like jah wobble that ill show as an example of what i mean by public image ltd style bass
https://voca.ro/1gqwArQT4tLS

pic sorta related, its just rex from pantera
>>
can't go wrong with a youtube search to help you figure out what pedals you need for bass, or just try a bunch at your nearest music equipment store

4chan is just gonna troll you
>>
>>122581618
>4chan is just gonna troll you
If only. To troll people need to be aware of a subject and be superior in that regard. But here on /mu/ noone has a clue, even less when bass is involved. /gg/ is already clueless as it can be, what are they gonna tell the bassists when they dont even know what a bass sounds like?
>>
>>122581674
I’m a bass genius but I didn’t read your paragraph. And yea gg sucks, it’s more of a schizo general than a musicians general
>>
>>122581503
>1. do i need a distortion for my bass guitar?
Not unless you wanna sound like lemmy. Pick, treble, and fresh-boiled strings are all you need
>2. does being able to make...syncopated stuff
Just groove a bit when the guitar's not doing his thing, and back off when he is. Call-and-response.
>>
>>122581503
Play whatever is honest to yourself and gets through to other people. When you find something that works, lean into it for awhile.
You'll need to learn some tracks and alternate with writing your own to unlock other genres.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.