[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Does he have anything worth listening to?
>>
File: 1699087900208[1].jpg (113 KB, 800x600)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>122582963
Does anyone else notice that Peter Gabriel's solo music seems darker if you assume that Phil Collins raped him? I'm not saying it happened. I'm just asking questions. I'd just say that there is nothing inconsistent with this possibility within his discography. There are no PG songs which make me think "this is not the sort of song that a man raped by Phil Collins would write."

In fact, if you look at his 1980 single "No Self Control," one could easily imagine the song being sung by PG from the perspective of the rapist Collins, while the b-side "Lead a Normal Life" is from the victim's perspective.

And of course, songs like 'Intruder' make perfect sense in this context. It's just so obvious. Digging in the Dirt, Don't Give Up, No Way Out, Shock the Monkey, Slowburn, Kiss That Frog, Games Without Frontiers, I Have the Touch, etc. He's never really gotten over the rape by Phil.

Or consider a song like "Not One of Us." It is equal parts anger towards the rapist Collins mixed with self-doubt caused by the assault. Collins' violent act makes him an animal, ie, not part of humanity. Yet, the victim no longer feels human either, due to his shame.

Consider the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEcTB2va5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgEu0Sbiv8

Frankly, you could also look at PHIL'S solo work as evidence of a man who knows what he did, but who refuses to take responsibility. 'This Must Be Love'? 'I Don't Care Anymore'? 'Both Sides of the Story'? 'Two Hearts'? 'Don't Lose My Number'? 'One More Night'? 'Do You Remember'? 'Why Can't It Wait 'Til Morning'? 'It Don't Matter to Me'? 'Easy Lover'? (LOL).

Good God, /mu/. We've cracked the case.

>AAAAH! THE PAIN! Modern love can be a strain
>--Peter Gabriel; 'Modern Love'
>>
>>122582963
All of it is essential listening
>>
>>122582976
Actually, it was the other way around
>>
>>122582963
his solo stuff and genesis is pretty good and he has top notch drumming credits
>>
>>122582963
i work in a supermarket. i've heard everyone of his hits no less than 1000 times each. i didn't even want to hear them once.
>>
>>122582963

The problem with appreciating Phil Collins is that rock critics are album-record critics, not body of work critics.

If you have Artist A, who releases an album every year for a decade, with half of the songs being great and the other half worthless filler
And Artist B who releases only 2 albums in a decade (like Peter Gabriel, Fiona Apple or Trent Reznor), but the albums are great, the music critic and music fan will consider Artist B as better than Artist A.
They will not pay attention to the fact that Artist A released 50 good songs in a decade, while artist B only around 20.

Phill Collins as a solo artist and as leader of Genesis doesn't have any single great album, but if you create your own playlist combining his best solo songs and his best Genesis songs, there is enough material for 3 great albums.
>>
that boy yanked on his hog real good
>>
>>122582963

He wrote the only good antichristian song I know of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35K6vQRt67g
>>
File: Tarzan 0106652DNY.jpg (436 KB, 603x603)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
It's so good that Matt Stone and Trey Parker are still mad about it and he also sang it in like 10 different languages
>>
I don't get why critics jerk off Gabriel so much yet hate Phil so much, they're not that different. Something like Sledgehammer is just as cheesy as anything Collins would put out
>>
>>122583256
>Phill Collins as a solo artist and as leader of Genesis doesn't have any single great album
Bullshit! A Trick Of the Tail is a great album, even if it's not as good as Foxtrot or Selling England by the Pound.
>>
>>122583334
phil is an easy target. he was short and balding and was the last thing people would expect a popstar to look like. fuck, talk to any boomer and most of them don't realize man was a legendary drummer and did an entire album by himself with him on every instrument.
because peter is a loud retard, he gets midwit cred for his weird artfag shit, even though peter wouldn't is incapable of writing music himself and would never dip into avant garde aside from a few wacky noises or costumes
>>
Seeing Phil fags cope is priceless
>>
File: OIP (9) (7).jpg (21 KB, 474x539)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Hi it's me, Phil Collins from the hit PSP video game Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories™
>>
>>122582963
>Does he have anything worth listening to?
almost exclusively, yeah
>>
Something I like of Phil Collins were the songs in which he had something like a constant pitched percussion play from beggining to end

this is an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG9Ei-HyymE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq1oyB1CNa4

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.